And here we go!

Half Fast

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Half Fast
College football is under way again! Louisville just kicked off to Ga Tech. Can't wait to see how Keys makes out as the new GT head coach.

Tech looked good early, tight game now.

Yeah, Louisville made some adjustments during the half. GT's going up the middle too much without having the line strength to overcome Louisville's defense.

Well, so much for that. If GT had played the whole 2nd half the way they played the last possession it might have been a different game.

College football is under way again! Louisville just kicked off to Ga Tech. Can't wait to see how Keys makes out as the new GT head coach.
Oregon State is ranked 18th. The only PAC4 team to make the top 25. Go Beavers.

How did Texas A&M get in the top 25 at #23.??

Didn't they go from #3 to #133 last year.??

OU taking care of business 73-0 against the Week 1 patsy, Arkansas State. Clean game, shut out the opponent, can't complain or crow too much. Can't believe TCU got worked over at home by coach prime and a team with over 80 brand new guys on the squad.

Well, so much for that. If GT had played the whole 2nd half the way they played the last possession it might have been a different game.

Tech isn't strong on either line of scrimmage. Louisville is.

Tech was very competitive and Louisville is one of the better teams we'll play, so I think that (in a relative way) bodes well.

Tech isn't strong on either line of scrimmage.

Agreed. Some of that might be size, but I suspect physical conditioning isn’t all it should be. The lines are both lacking speed and agility.

My school sucks continuously. We tear down the goal posts if we win 5 games a year.

Kinda digging the "Prime" time show right now lol.
I've always had a love/hate relationship with Prime Time. I hated him when he played for FSU (a Ga Tech rival), but I loved him when he played for my Atlanta Falcons. I always hated him in between loving him.

But it is really cool seeing him and his son together.

I've always had a love/hate relationship with Prime Time. I hated him when he played for FSU (a Ga Tech rival), but I loved him when he played for my Atlanta Falcons. I always hated him in between loving him.

But it is really cool seeing him and his son together.
Guy tried to avoid tackling people as much as possible in the pros, lol. He had a great head for the game, as well as elite speed, which is why he had a TON of interceptions. However, he wasn't the guy you were going to trust with an open field tackle as he seemed to shy away from making serious contact. I don't have a problem with people perking up to his job at CU, but I'll wait until they play someone with a pulse before giving him accolades. Nebraska held them in check for 2/3 of the game, they just had ZERO offense.

Guy tried to avoid tackling people as much as possible in the pros, lol. He had a great head for the game, as well as elite speed, which is why he had a TON of interceptions. However, he wasn't the guy you were going to trust with an open field tackle as he seemed to shy away from making serious contact. I don't have a problem with people perking up to his job at CU, but I'll wait until they play someone with a pulse before giving him accolades. Nebraska held them in check for 2/3 of the game, they just had ZERO offense.
I dunno about that. I remember watching him come up from his DB position when playing for the 49ers and making a clean open field tackle on a sweep. Even if he didn’t like to tackle the coaches must have thought he was worth having on defense.

I dunno about that. I remember watching him come up from his DB position when playing for the 49ers and making a clean open field tackle on a sweep. Even if he didn’t like to tackle the coaches must have thought he was worth having on defense.
He had some moments, and was better about the hitting when he was the one attacking (like on a corner blitz). Plenty of film on the guy trying to avoid hitting bigger backs or trying to shove people people out rather than driving a shoulder through them. Like I said, he had great speed and a great sense of where to be on the field which made him excellent in pass coverage.

Well then you have the little piggies over here. Cant seem to block our way out of a paper bag.. Thank god for cupcakes x2 so far. And Pittman was the O-line coach at GA... Hope something changes before BYU this weekend.

OU/TX week is here. "Beat the rush, hate Texas now!" Both teams coming in at 5-0, with Texas looking pretty salty. Hopefully OU can find ways to limit TX offensively as well as put some long drives together.

OU/TX week is here. "Beat the rush, hate Texas now!" Both teams coming in at 5-0, with Texas looking pretty salty. Hopefully OU can find ways to limit TX offensively as well as put some long drives together.
I want to hate both of them and hope they both lose....is that possible?

I want to hate both of them and hope they both lose....is that possible?
I mean, that's an option. Just remember that nothing looks good in burnt orange
71018904530455d4bb12dbe932ae004f.jpg

Can’t spell you suck without OU.

I mean, that's an option. Just remember that nothing looks good in burnt orange
If God wasn’t a Longhorns fan, why does he make sunsets burnt orange.

Can’t spell you suck without OU.

If God wasn’t a Longhorns fan, why does he make sunsets burnt orange.
It's windy in OK because Texas sucks and Kansas blows!

"If I owned Texas and all hell, I would rent out Texas and live in hell." - General Phillip Henry Sheridan

GT is enjoying another sucky season. Fresh off a win over Wake Forest, yesterday we lost to Bowling Green. Bowling Green??! Yeeeesh.

It's windy in OK because Texas sucks and Kansas blows!

"If I owned Texas and all hell, I would rent out Texas and live in hell." - General Phillip Henry Sheridan

Fightin’ Phil was a yankee so his opinion don’t matter much.

GT is enjoying another sucky season. Fresh off a win over Wake Forest, yesterday we lost to Bowling Green. Bowling Green??! Yeeeesh.
Twenty one point favorites; two touchdowns in the first few minutes, then give up 38 unanswered points. That was tough.

But there is a bright side. I can still pull for the Atlanta Falcons.

Oh, wait.:(:mad:

Twenty one point favorites; two touchdowns in the first few minutes, then give up 38 unanswered points. That was tough.

But there is a bright side. I can still pull for the Atlanta Falcons.

Oh, wait.:(:mad:

GT looked like a Pop Warner team. Horrible blocking. Missed tackles galore. The long snap that hit the fullback. The botched fair catch signal. It would have been comical if it weren't so sad.

Loved the quote from coach Key:
“We've got a long way to go,” Key said. “As anybody who saw the game knows, it was an embarrassing display of football on our part. As epic of a failure as you can possibly have. All three phases, all aspects of the program didn’t succeed. ... It’s on me to make changes to get this thing fixed.”

Well, yeah. Pretty much stating the obvious. Getting "this thing fixed" should have happened long before the season started for this sort of basic stuff. I think he needs to take a cue from Vince Lombardi and start Monday's team meeting with, "Gentlemen, this is a football."

GT looked like a Pop Warner team. Horrible blocking. Missed tackles galore. The long snap that hit the fullback. The botched fair catch signal. It would have been comical if it weren't so sad.

Loved the quote from coach Key:
“We've got a long way to go,” Key said. “As anybody who saw the game knows, it was an embarrassing display of football on our part. As epic of a failure as you can possibly have. All three phases, all aspects of the program didn’t succeed. ... It’s on me to make changes to get this thing fixed.”

Well, yeah. Pretty much stating the obvious. Getting "this thing fixed" should have happened long before the season started for this sort of basic stuff. I think he needs to take a cue from Vince Lombardi and start Monday's team meeting with, "Gentlemen, this is a football."

Tech's has two "big" problems. No difference makers on defense. Too many guys who don't tackle well - either poor form or poor effort.

Tech's has two "big" problems. No difference makers on defense. Too many guys who don't tackle well - either poor form or poor effort.
Oh Yeah!
But they can do differential equations in their freshman year.

That reminds me of a joke that was going around when I was in college.

Pepper Rogers (Tech coach) was visiting a prospect when he saw a calculus book on the coffee table.
Pepper said to the prospect, "Oh, I see you like math. We have a great math program".
The prospect replied, "No, I hate math. Vince Dooley left that when he was here yesterday and said that is what I would have to do if I go to Tech".

Maybe it wasn't a joke.

Oh Yeah!
But they can do differential equations in their freshman year.

That reminds me of a joke that was going around when I was in college.

Pepper Rogers (Tech coach) was visiting a prospect when he saw a calculus book on the coffee table.
Pepper said to the prospect, "Oh, I see you like math. We have a great math program".
The prospect replied, "No, I hate math. Vince Dooley left that when he was here yesterday and said that is what I would have to do if I go to Tech".

Maybe it wasn't a joke.
The calculus book has definitely been a recruiting tool other schools used against Tech. Today, there are degree paths that don't require Calculus, but you're still gonna take some math. And if you want to read an excellent book about college football (including recruiting tales), check out Pepper Rogers' "Fourth and Long Gone". A semi-autobiographical "novel" about his experience coming back to Tech to coach in the early-mid '70's. I've met a couple of people who were the direct basis for characters in the book.

One of the humerous stories in the book was Pepper setting an alarm at a ridiculous hour overnight (3 AM?), and calling recruits while pretending to be a drunk Pat Dye or Bear Bryant.

Agreed, but I'd add a third - a weak offensive line.

The calculus book has definitely been a recruiting tool other schools used against Tech. Today, there are degree paths that don't require Calculus, but you're still gonna take some math. And if you want to read an excellent book about college football (including recruiting tales), check out Pepper Rogers' "Fourth and Long Gone". A semi-autobiographical "novel" about his experience coming back to Tech to coach in the early-mid '70's. I've met a couple of people who were the direct basis for characters in the book.

One of the humerous stories in the book was Pepper setting an alarm at a ridiculous hour overnight (3 AM?), and calling recruits while pretending to be a drunk Pat Dye or Bear Bryant.

I'll add that to my reading list. (I assume you've read, You Dropped It, You Pick It Up. If not, you should.)

When I was at GT in the 80s, there was no math course on campus below calculus that gave credit hours. Anything like trig was "remedial" with no credit given. IIRC, there was only one major that didn't require dif eqs and that was Industrial Management. Guess what major most football players had? ;)

The place is academically challenging, to say the least, and that certainly has an effect on football recruiting. It's always been that way, though, and GT has still fielded championship-winning teams, so the challenge isn't insurmountable. I do think that a GT coach will have to out-coach the other teams, because he probably won't have a team that can win on sheer player ability.

I was a Mechanical Engineering major at Ga. Tech, but I took mostly management electives.

There was a tech football player that sat next to me in an economics class named Eddie Lee Ivery (drafted 1st round by the Green Bay Packers in '78) . He tried really hard, but was having a difficult time and was about to flunk out. I was doing pretty well in that class so he would ask me a lot of questions and we wound up spending quite a bit of time at his place going over the class work. He wound up passing the class, and keeping his scholarship, but the professor did NOT give him any special treatment. He had to work for it and he earned it. I doubt very seriously that he would remember me, but I remember that he made a big impact on me. "Dumb Jock" left my vocabulary after that.

I was a Mechanical Engineering major at Ga. Tech, but I took mostly management electives.

There was a tech football player that sat next to me in an economics class named Eddie Lee Ivery (drafted 1st round by the Green Bay Packers in '78) . He tried really hard, but was having a difficult time and was about to flunk out. I was doing pretty well in that class so he would ask me a lot of questions and we wound up spending quite a bit of time at his place going over the class work. He wound up passing the class, and keeping his scholarship, but the professor did NOT give him any special treatment. He had to work for it and he earned it. I doubt very seriously that he would remember me, but I remember that he made a big impact on me. "Dumb Jock" left my vocabulary after that.

+1

At least when I was at Tech, there weren't any BS jock courses giving easy grades to let athletes maintain scholastic standing. Nothing close to the BS that went on at UNC a few years ago, and that seems common in quite a few colleges. Anybody that got a diploma from GT worked for it.

I hope it's still that way.

Back