And here we go!

I don't *care* when he transfers. That's his problem. He went to school A. Wants to transfer to school B. Figure it out. He can transfer whenever and wherever he wants. But there may be ramifications. Decisions have consequences. As Half Fast pointed out... This is supposed to be a sport played by college kids, where the focus should lean towards academics. It shouldn't be a professional league where every obstacle and every inconvenience is bulldozed in pursuit of athletics.

I love CFB. But I'd blow it up if I could. It has gravitated to the cheap version of the NFL masquerading as an amateur sport.
I don't disagree on a personal level. I just know that lots of barriers were put on athletes tying them to a school which may no longer be a good fit. Why put restrictions on them transferring? Who does it protect by doing so?

I'd blow the whole thing up, too. I don't understand how a scholarship with room/board isn't really considered compensation anymore. I'd be fine if they wanted to provide all team players with $250/month cash stipend on top of room/board for incidentals since they can't work. All other income must be deferred until graduation or eligibility is up. It would certainly keep teams on a more even playing field.

Or just toss all college sports out the window and go back to being pure academic institutions. That might kill off a lot of colleges who derive a lot of donations from enthusiastic alumnus when the sports teams are doing well.

Portal opens in the spring. The player finishes the spring academic semester (this is a college, remember?) at his old school but doesn't practice. He forfeits football scholarship dollars for that semester (putting him on par with non-athletes so I don't have much sympathy). Or maybe he doesn't attend class for that semester, delaying graduation by a term (most of these guys won't give a rip).

The player starts at the new college during summer term and has summer pre-season practice. It puts him at a bit of a disadvantage athletically (probably not much, but that's the price you pay for transferring), but no disadvantage academically (this is a college, remember?).
National signing day is in early Feb, so portal needs to happen before that or you are running into transfers and recruits competing for roster spots even more than they currently do.

I'd also love to see a requirement for some kind of academic achievement but that's never going to happen.

I'd also love to see a requirement for some kind of academic achievement but that's never going to happen.
UGA's QB for their two recent championship was in his 7th year of college when they won the second championship. He left school without a degree.

I don't understand how that can happen, especially with the requirements around progress towards graduation.

UGA's QB for their two recent championship was in his 7th year of college when they won the second championship. He left school without a degree.

I don't understand how that can happen, especially with the requirements around progress towards graduation.
Dexter Manley is always the poster child for athletes being pushed through. Guy couldn't even read past a 2nd grade level after having spent years at Okie State and years in the NFL. Got pushed through the system from high school all the way up because of his football skills. It shouldn't happen at any level. It's not any better today.

Make a new rule - athletic scholarships must be repaid if the athlete fails to graduate.

National signing day is in early Feb, so portal needs to happen before that or you are running into transfers and recruits competing for roster spots even more than they currently do.

So move signing day to early March.

So move signing day to early March.
My point is that there are a lot of moving parts to this, so it's not just "Do X and everything is fixed". Tons of rules, time-lines, and lives get impacted when you change one little thing. It's part of why the NIL is such a shtshow right now when you change a rule without adequate forethought to its impact.

My point is that there are a lot of moving parts to this, so it's not just "Do X and everything is fixed". Tons of rules, time-lines, and lives get impacted when you change one little thing. It's part of why the NIL is such a shtshow right now when you change a rule without adequate forethought to its impact.

Of course it’s complex. But it’s not unfixable.

Make a new rule - athletic scholarships must be repaid if the athlete fails to graduate.

And the scholarship money does not go back to the college, instead it should go to a local orphanage.

Plus the offending head coach will be required to be head coach at Texas A&M for 2 seasons...

And Michigan beats ‘bama In OT in the Rose Bowl!!

Not really a Michigan fan, but I sure love to see the Tide go down.

When Bama loses, an angel gets her wings, lol. Hoping for a Washington/Meatchicken final, then Huskies win it all. Just to throw the B1G/SEC for a loop as a Pac12 farewell.

Uptick in Texans emigrating to Washington. Film on the 11 o’clock eye witness news

EDIT: Wow, I was thinking I may have been guilty of premature snarkulation and would have to ask for a good crow recipe

Last edited:
When Bama loses, an angel gets her wings, lol. Hoping for a Washington/Meatchicken final, then Huskies win it all. Just to throw the B1G/SEC for a loop as a Pac12 farewell.
Maybe you'll get that wish! Now I can go to not caring about pigskins again for a while.

If a team cheats to win, they are still losers

Didn't stop the NCAA from dropping the hammer on USC after the Reggie Bush stuff when Bush and Pete Carroll were already gone. Les Miles/LSU in similar fashion.

Yeah.. That's what I mean - he won't care - we won't suffer any of the negative effects.

GT looked like a Pop Warner team. Horrible blocking. Missed tackles galore. The long snap that hit the fullback. The botched fair catch signal. It would have been comical if it weren't so sad.

Loved the quote from coach Key:
“We've got a long way to go,” Key said. “As anybody who saw the game knows, it was an embarrassing display of football on our part. As epic of a failure as you can possibly have. All three phases, all aspects of the program didn’t succeed. ... It’s on me to make changes to get this thing fixed.”

Well, yeah. Pretty much stating the obvious. Getting "this thing fixed" should have happened long before the season started for this sort of basic stuff. I think he needs to take a cue from Vince Lombardi and start Monday's team meeting with, "Gentlemen, this is a football."
If he's around next year.

Back