And here they come out of woodwork

Status
Not open for further replies.
And he got what he deserved....fired. And quickly too as I saw that report this morning.

And mind you, she's a lawyer. One would think she'd have better sense about running her mouth before engaging her brain.

Rich

Her comments were highly inappropriate and she deserved to be fired. I will add though that I find the comments on POA blaming the left or liberals for all of the woes of society and by extension somehow at fault for this tragedy to be inappropriate as well.

Every terrible incident is proof of what everyone's political beliefs were.... apparently.

How in the world are we going to come back together when so many have gone so far off the deep end?

Just married off our daughter Saturday. One option they had thought about was Vegas. Changed it to Jamaica. We saw the news while at the airport coming home today. Whew!

Every terrible incident is proof of what everyone's political beliefs were.... apparently.

How in the world are we going to come back together when so many have gone so far off the deep end?
Politics are an extension of our understanding of reality. We want to shape the world towards our ideal, so it's natural that we see things as aiding or impeding movement towards that end. Opinions flow freely in social media and we're more exposed to those outside of our circles. I don't think we going to "come back together" until we stop assuming we all have the same goals.

Politics are an extension of our understanding of reality. We want to shape the world towards our ideal, so it's natural that we see things as aiding or impeding movement towards that end. Opinions flow freely in social media and we're more exposed to those outside of our circles. I don't think we going to "come back together" until we stop assuming we all have the same goals.
A good start is to stop the "Liberals do <something detestable>" and the "Conservatives are <something else that is detestable>" talk. Neither side has a monopoly on stupidity or good ideas.

I think we can all be grateful to the law enforcement officers and other "first responders" that serve and protect, who run into danger, rather than away, to protect the rest of us.

She can get a job as a college professor.
Sadly that is true. Had she made that comment while on a college staff she would be celebrated as an example of academic freedom.

I just want to live my life as freely as I can without bothering anyone to the extent that's possible. I want to be able to earn money I need to live the lifestyle I want. I want the same for everyone else. I also recognize we live in a big country with many people with many needs and that we need laws and rules to keep fools and bad actors in line... and that resources are limited

I think that's where most of us, be liberal or be conservative come from at the core. The trick is figuring out what laws to have and how to rig up the budget and whatnot so that the maximum number of us can have that liberty and prosperity. It's a difficult thing to do, especially without trampling on someone's rights or destroying lifestyles in the process. But if at the very least we could all agree on this as the ideal even if it can't be totally achieved maybe we could start negotiating from an honest and reasonable place.

Career suicide by social media (CSBSM). Now easier than ever !
There are plenty of organizations that will take her with her now enhanced resume.

Just goes to show you...if senior counsel for CBS is making those comments, their entire hiring process is suspect.

Irony just doesn't begin to describe that poor exercise in judgement.

I don't know about you, but I think the CEO should resign, after all, poor employees = poor CEO...:stirpot:

I just want to live my life as freely as I can without bothering anyone to the extent that's possible. I want to be able to earn money I need to live the lifestyle I want. I want the same for everyone else. I also recognize we live in a big country with many people with many needs and that we need laws and rules to keep fools and bad actors in line... and that resources are limited
There is a long history of a political ideology that has devoted itself to preventing you from doing just that. I don't understand why we wish to pretend it isn't here.

Actually, social media easily allows people to be exposed to only those who agree with their views. People can be very upset with those who try to break them iut of their self-created cocoon . . . .

There is a long history of a political ideology that has devoted itself to preventing you from doing just that. I don't understand why we wish to pretend it isn't here.

The fact that it's there is the only reason I have to care or pay attention to politics. Seems there's always some politician or movement or something trying to ban something I love or change things to make my life more expensive. The opposition to that often comes along with a whole host of attacks on other people's way of life that I don't really want to support either.

I really do feel that there is room for solutions that everyone can live with. Maybe not get everything we want every time but live with. I am really tired of constant tug of war and wondering if my world is about to get upended every 4 years.

The fact that it's there is the only reason I have to care or pay attention to politics. Seems there's always some politician or movement or something trying to ban something I love or change things to make my life more expensive. The opposition to that often comes along with a whole host of attacks on other people's way of life that I don't really want to support either.

I really do feel that there is room for solutions that everyone can live with. Maybe not get everything we want every time but live with. I am really tired of constant tug of war and wondering if my world is about to get upended every 4 years.
Well said.

Because the people with those ideologies see themselves as saviors of the world, and have done an excellent job of brainwashing the masses who are intellectually weak, meek, and timid. 99.9% of those that are the "brainwashers" are usually hypocrites to the highest extent.

I am really tired of constant tug of war and wondering if my world is about to get upended every 4 years.
You just have to learn to go with the flow and take advantage of what is offered or given to you. The elites (from both parties) that make the rules, make them as complicated as possible for the average person to understand or take advantage of. Once you learn how to play their game using their rules, then it makes no difference who is in charge. ;)

Last edited:
So much politics and policy is determined by people's opinions and emotions and not by reality on both sides. Logic and truth should rule but it usually doesn't.

So much politics and policy is determined by people's opinions and emotions and not by reality on both sides. Logic and truth should rule but it usually doesn't.
Especially when the primary form of engagement is name calling. Labeling is a tactic used to avoid real interaction.

So a person got fired for having a "wrong" opinion on Facebook? ("wrong" being subjective based on the readers' beliefs and political and musical orientation)
I always said that FB was full of sh** but was always silenced and ridiculed. *shrug*

I wonder if this will start a new trend of HR departments reading FB cr*p all day to find employees to fire for comments they choose to disagree with.

I wonder if this will start a new trend of HR departments reading FB cr*p all day to find employees to fire for comments they choose to disagree with.

I've heard that has been the case for awhile now. Especially working for a company and slamming the company on social media. A lot of companies have policies about it. My airline did years ago when I was there. Even potential new hires are looked at for their social media activities. The old saying "don't burn bridges" seems even more appropriate now, just in a different context.

So a person got fired for having a "wrong" opinion on Facebook? ("wrong" being subjective based on the readers' beliefs and political and musical orientation)
I always said that FB was full of sh** but was always silenced and ridiculed. *shrug*

They’ve been doing this for a while and some people still don’t know not to post stupid stuff. Apparently one of our pilots got fired for wearing his uniform to a Halloween party and consumed one too many drinks.

While there is an irony to that gathering coming under gunfire, it in no way diminishes the tragedy. The bad thing is our culture makes these things happen, and they will continue. Firearm ownership is more American than just about anything else. It is part of the fabric of our nation. The sad thing is because of it there will be occasional tragedies like this one.

Pretty sure the top execs at CBS heard about this tweet within the hour of it happening. No need for anyone from HR to actively go through anyones tweets, if an employee says something that asinine, the company will hear about it.

Just goes to show you...if senior counsel for CBS is making those comments, their entire hiring process is suspect.

Irony just doesn't begin to describe that poor exercise in judgement.

I don't know about you, but I think the CEO should resign, after all, poor employees = poor CEO...:stirpot:

Well it is CBS after all. :ihih:

Why is anyone surprised at something stupid and inflammatory coming from a media person’s mouth? Inflammatory and decisive is what American media is. They are the primary problem fueling our societal problems.

Pretty sure the top execs at CBS heard about this tweet within the hour of it happening. No need for anyone from HR to actively go through anyones tweets, if an employee says something that asinine, the company will hear about it.
Exactly.

Many companies have corporate policies that prohibit employees from saying things that will bring disrepute to the company. That this was CBS (which, like it or not, is seen as having a particular political point of view that regularly comes under fire) and that the individual involved worked on "strategic transactions" (e.g. Acquiring content and companies for mother ship), it's really no surprise that she was shown the door.

As a VP, she may very well have had an employment contract that limits her behavior outside of the workplace. Plenty of other corporate employment contracts have that kind of standard provision.

The way the tweet went viral, I'm certain that CBS knew right away that they had a PR issue on their hands.

While there is an irony to that gathering coming under gunfire, it in no way diminishes the tragedy. The bad thing is our culture makes these things happen, and they will continue. Firearm ownership is more American than just about anything else. It is part of the fabric of our nation. The sad thing is because of it there will be occasional tragedies like this one.

These things happen in other cultures and other nations, too. Sometimes, but not always, a different method or weapon is used. I don't think the method really matters, and it certainly isn't the root cause.

She'll never find another decent job. First, no one will ever want to be associated with her. But also, regardless of any accomplishments, someone who could do something so careless and stupid can't be relied upon.

Maybe some people just think they're bulletproof, I don't know.

Oddly, back in the SZ days (and even now at the new SZ site) people here have posted things from their work computers that should get them canned but they still do it.

I don't go online from my work computer and do my best to disassociate my online profiles from any connection to the real me.

Exactly.

Many companies have corporate policies that prohibit employees from saying things that will bring disrepute to the company. That this was CBS (which, like it or not, is seen as having a particular political point of view that regularly comes under fire) and that the individual involved worked on "strategic transactions" (e.g. Acquiring content and companies for mother ship), it's really no surprise that she was shown the door.

As a VP, she may very well have had an employment contract that limits her behavior outside of the workplace. Plenty of other corporate employment contracts have that kind of standard provision.

The way the tweet went viral, I'm certain that CBS knew right away that they had a PR issue on their hands.

I am just a worker-bee, so whatever I do online is only limited by my employers general social media policy. It says common sense stuff like you can't disclose confidential information etc. Interestingly, the policy doesn't say: 'dont say anything stupid'.

Yeah, but there are a lot of at-will employment states where no reason is required for termination. And why would a company want to be associated with someone who says something so repugnant?

Yeah, but there are a lot of at-will employment states where no reason is required for termination. And why would a company want to be associated with someone who says something so repugnant?

CBS is/was her employer

I would say this is more a case of a senior employee getting fired for making their company look bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back