American Airlines puts down deposit on Boom Overture Aircraft

But can you can to (or from) JFK? Took me 3 hours in traffic to get from JFK to central NJ a couple years ago.
JFK to anywhere west is a pain. I live in Long Island so the drive isn’t too bad. Most of the traffic is by the airport and the further east you get on the expressway, the less traffic

“We regret to inform you that your neighborhood has been destroyed by a virtual bomb in a simulated terrorist attack. Please burn your house and report to an authorized disintegration chamber within 24 hours.”

Where's Kirk when we need him...

or do we have to wait 500 years?

Actually since it’s going to be less than 100 seats @AggieMike88 may get to fly them at his regional:D
I'm just happy to get the chance to get up to and beyond Mach 0.70 and get paid for it.

I wonder what the type rating training for the Boom would be like....

Last edited:
Please go faster than that. Everyone behind you on the STAR will appreciate it. LOL
okay.. okay... I'll change it to "up to and beyond".

Still... it is a bit fascinating at the beginning of my 121 career that I might be going along at Mach 0.78-ish but the IAS isn't anywhere as much as I thought it would be before I learned about Mach and temperatures.

Still... it is a bit fascinating at the beginning of my 121 career that I might be going along at Mach 0.78-ish but the IAS isn't anywhere as much as I thought it would be before I learned about Mach and temperatures.
You'll probably see a lot of 250 - 270 KIAS as cruise.

I look forward to seeing these running PHL-DAY hops subsonic so that they can cycle them in and out for maintenance...

Because obviously at 65-80 seats they're going to get capped at 76 and given to PSA :D

This whole thread reminds me of a movie I recently watched "Starflight One". I always loved the Concord for what it achieved as an icon and a engineering marvel. I actually had the chance to witness the last commercial flight of the concord back in 2003 from JFK while I was building a house in Long Beach while it overflew heading east. The thing was loud! (as always) Those who paid attention knew by the sound that it was the Concord. I managed to take a photo of the overfly with a film camera that I used to document construction phases of the built, I will try to find it.

If the people involved in the Boom project are fully vested in the endeavor I trust that with our current technology and decades of experience have a good chance to achieve this goal.

How many times recently have we seen some new upstart company, with a fancy artist rendition of an aircraft, making all kinds of unrealistic claims about cost, performance, and capability? This is what happens when an aspiring entrepreneur thinks they can fundraise and buy their way into engineering and certifying an aircraft, with no real concept of physics or engineering.

Then the engineers get hold of it, and the laws of physics and reality come home to roost.

Hopefully the non-refundable deposit was less than the PR value of the announcement.

It's PR for both sides. American gets PR for this, and the BOOM people get some clicks out of it. Deposit? Maybe they gave them $10.

Next year American will put a deposit on an electric solar and wind powered supersonic something that houses homeless people when not flying. And something about feeding hungry children.

Next year American will put a deposit on an electric solar and wind powered supersonic something that houses homeless people when not flying. And something about feeding hungry children.

You forgot teaching young immigrant girls to fly.

American Airlines:
Harassing cabin staff.
Doing away with 1st Class seating.
Cancelling a number of routes.

I'm leaning more towards filing for bankruptcy than "going supersonic".

It's PR for both sides. American gets PR for this, and the BOOM people get some clicks out of it. Deposit? Maybe they gave them $10.

Brilliant response, that's the direction of late by world's governing bodies. However, I feel that in today's age the "Concord" concept re-invented as Boom can be significantly improved by the many advances in materials alone.

Back