Amazon continues to kill brick and mortar...

TazzyTazzy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mitch
Ok. We all know this. Online is cheaper. But...for cheap stuff too?

Last night (Tuesday) as I was to one the big box paper/pen/office supply stores...you know, the one that wants to buy the other competition to "cut costs". Read: Less staff, less jobs, and hike up the prices since there's no competition.

So, I was browsing some pens figuring it would best to just buy them there as the selection is still decent and hasn't totally turned into radio shack (crappy selection, unsure what they are supposed to sell). I also figure I'd still support the B&M store thinking the costs to ship online would be prohibitive.

Picked out my pens. 4 generic-ish pens, $10.99...what? Loaded the amazon app, scanned the bar code, $7.99...shipped! Tapped the "purchase with 1-click". Went to another isle to get one more item on my list...labels that are laser printer safe. Found. $12.99. Not bad, but figured oh...what the hell. "beep" went the amazon app.. $8.99 shipped. Tapped, purchased.

So, yea, i saved $7. Big whoop. But, that is 19% discount - which could be significant if I bought 1000 in pens and paper. But my point.. How can amazon still undercut such low prices and include shipping? Yes, amazon did bundle my two purchases into one. I now have a perfectly usable box with padding for my ebay auctions.

My second point.. The market on pens and paper products must be over 500%! I realize they have to ship, stock, distributor, wholesaler, reseller. Fun!

BTW. I got my amazon delivery 21 hours after purchasing them using their prime shipping. And yes, I admit it, i'm an Amazon whore.

Last night (Tuesday) as I was to one the big box paper/pen/office supply stores...you know, the one that wants to buy the other competition to "cut costs". Read: Less staff, less jobs, and hike up the prices since there's no competition.

So, I was browsing some pens figuring it would best to just buy them there as the selection is still decent and hasn't totally turned into radio shack (crappy selection, unsure what they are supposed to sell). I also figure I'd still support the B&M store thinking the costs to ship online would be prohibitive.

Picked out my pens. 4 generic-ish pens, $10.99...what? Loaded the amazon app, scanned the bar code, $7.99...shipped! Tapped the "purchase with 1-click". Went to another isle to get one more item on my list...labels that are laser printer safe. Found. $12.99. Not bad, but figured oh...what the hell. "beep" went the amazon app.. $8.99 shipped. Tapped, purchased.

So, yea, i saved $7. Big whoop. But, that is 19% discount - which could be significant if I bought 1000 in pens and paper. But my point.. How can amazon still undercut such low prices and include shipping? Yes, amazon did bundle my two purchases into one. I now have a perfectly usable box with padding for my ebay auctions.

My second point.. The market on pens and paper products must be over 500%! I realize they have to ship, stock, distributor, wholesaler, reseller. Fun!

BTW. I got my amazon delivery 21 hours after purchasing them using their prime shipping. And yes, I admit it, i'm an Amazon whore.

Wants ???:dunno::dunno:..:confused:..

I could have sworn I saw that Staples DID buy Office Depot AND Office Max and will close all those stores.......

So much for Staples being the
"Good Guys"

They are the future. People are always going to go with the cheapest choices. Then complain about the loss of jobs.

Yes, and people complain about Wal-Mart too, but their parking lot is usually full. Just the nature of the beast, as jobs drift to the lowest bidder.

Be careful. Amazon has been quietly raising prices across the board over the past year, to the point where they frequently aren't less expensive than buying locally, but are quite often MORE EXPENSIVE. They still have a very large and diverse catalog, and the convenience of having things shipped to your door may be worth even a slight premium to some folks. I'm really not surprised at the price increases, since they can't continue to sell at or below cost forever.

After a couple years or so as Prime members, we just cancelled out membership, due to the price increase of Prime combined with the product price increases that we've noticed over the past few months. We didn't use much of the other Prime features (streaming video, music, etc.)

JKG

Amazon is thriving while brick and mortar fails because they are providing what people want in a cheaper and more convenient way. This is the essence of how free market capitalism is supposed to work. I have no problem with this. No reason to prop-up dying industries, they should innovate or die.

I personally find the only reasons to go to brick and mortar for things other than food are either because it's too bulky and shipping is high or because I just HAVE to see the item in person... which is really of limited utility. None of the people in these retail stores ever have more information than what I can access sitting in my chair on the internet anyway.

Amazon is thriving while brick and mortar fails because they are providing what people want in a cheaper and more convenient way. This is the essence of how free market capitalism is supposed to work. I have no problem with this. No reason to prop-up dying industries, they should innovate or die.

I personally find the only reasons to go to brick and mortar for things other than food are either because it's too bulky and shipping is high or because I just HAVE to see the item in person... which is really of limited utility. None of the people in these retail stores ever have more information than what I can access sitting in my chair on the internet anyway.

Yes. And they are often out of stock, or have no clue about the product you're looking for.

I think that (other than food, gas, and dry cleaning), at least 95% of my purchasing is done online.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you ask the brick and mortar to price match? Alot of places will do that

My local Staples is a filthy pig sty. The floors are no longer being maintained and the bathrooms are nasty. Sure signs of a dying company.

I had a $10 off coupon and last visited them around the first of the year to buy a desk calendar...they wanted almost $30 for one. I walked next door to Target and bought one for $8.

They're a dinosaur.

Wait till Obama gets his way and they tax the **** out of Internet sales. It's already coming. Reversion to B&M!

I'm just the opposite. I don't buy online unless I have to, or if the price is great. Most things I want NOW. And I want the ability to see/feel a lot of things in person before committing to them.

I'm renovating an apt. now and am contemplating going from regular carpet to the 24" carpet tile squares so that I only have to replace the damaged areas after every tenant. I've looked at a lot of them online, read the reviews, etc. But a local store has them in stock and I went by last night to verify some of the review complaints. The major complaint is that the adhesive isn't very...well, adhesive. It's true. And I wanted to see if I could see the seams when placing them next to each other. Things I couldn't do if I bought online.

My pet peeve is people that do that, THEN go online to buy from someone else at a lower price. Thank you, but I'll pay more for the value I get with a local store having items available for me to look at.

I love Amazon. My time is worth a lot to me and I am sick of driving all over town to try and find a particular item. Further Amazon reviews helps me make better buying choices. Retail help is a bunch of buffoons that will waste your time sending you all over the store so they can continue texting or pretending to look busy.

Home Depot is a great example of a total CF being replaced by Amazon. They got rid of all the construction experienced help and started employing failed McDonalds workers and building self checkout lanes. Easier to buy screws on Amazon.

Brick and Mortor retail better start employing people that add value or they are done.

Wait till Obama gets his way and they tax the **** out of Internet sales. It's already coming. Reversion to B&M!

While I don't want that to happen. If it did it would not stop my online buying. For me the most valuable thing about buying online (mostly Amazon now) is that I don't have to go to a store and deal with parking or stupid people, lines, not finding what I want, etc. The time that I am not at work, I don't want to spend at a store.

If Amazon could figure out groceries, I would be all over that.

Also, be aware: the price on Amazon is not fixed. If you look at an item multiple times over some days or weeks, the price will drop. Buy it and the price goes back up the next time you look at it. I would not be surprised to find the your price and mine are different as well. They have the technology and they're not shy about using it. I'm not saying it's wrong or right, but be aware.

John

My pet peeve is people that do that, THEN go online to buy from someone else at a lower price. Thank you, but I'll pay more for the value I get with a local store having items available for me to look at.

Agreed! If I go to the store and find what I need then I will buy it there. I don't feel that its right to go to a store, use their services and then buy online. I know it happens all the time though.

I'm just the opposite. I don't buy online unless I have to, or if the price is great. Most things I want NOW. And I want the ability to see/feel a lot of things in person before committing to them.

I try this, but it doesn't usually work out. Example: I own a motorcycle, and it just happens to be the most popular model the manufacturer makes, and the local dealer sells lots of them. I needed new brake pads, but the dealer doesn't stock them, had to order. "They'll be in in a week, sir, stop back next weekend" :mad2:

I could (and will next time) have ordered them online and had them in a day or two.

If a dealer doesn't stock a common wear item on a model they sell a ton of, what's the use of stopping by?

I try this, but it doesn't usually work out. Example: I own a motorcycle, and it just happens to be the most popular model the manufacturer makes, and the local dealer sells lots of them. I needed new brake pads, but the dealer doesn't stock them, had to order. "They'll be in in a week, sir, stop back next weekend" :mad2:

I could (and will next time) have ordered them online and had them in a day or two.

If a dealer doesn't stock a common wear item on a model they sell a ton of, what's the use of stopping by?

I'm with you. I'm not opposed to ordering online at all when it's more convenient or a lot cheaper. All else being equal, I prefer to buy local. But in this scenario all else is not equal. Your dealership is almost asking you to buy online.

I'm with you. I'm not opposed to ordering online at all when it's more convenient or a lot cheaper. All else being equal, I prefer to buy local. But in this scenario all else is not equal. Your dealership is almost asking you to buy online.

Of course they have lots of apparel, helmets, and riding gear and will be happy to sell me one of the many Go-Pro models in the display case, but lord forbid you actually want parts for your bike.

Amazon is doing wonders for the logistics and onlines sales world but they aren't really the best run business. They won't be able to continue to operate like they are now. They are increasing prices on high volume things, and other stuff like Prime to pay for their decision to become a tech company. Additionally they are lowering shipping prices when shipping costs are still increasing (although reduction in gas prices have ebbed this). Lastly their infrastructure as a service (cloud) model isn't taking off like they wanted.

They may want to go back to the basics of what made them a superstar if they expect long term sustainability, otherwise they'll put themselves out of business. Almost every major retail chain has been ramping up online retail sectors to go against Amazon. Amazon won people over that were easily swayed to convienece and it's going to hurt if they drive people right out of their services into the arms of their competition. There's no loyalty in the online retail game.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/amazons-spending-leads-to-another-loss-1414095239

Of course they have lots of apparel, helmets, and riding gear and will be happy to sell me one of the many Go-Pro models in the display case, but lord forbid you actually want parts for your bike.

I bet they sell a lot more of those accessories than brake pads.

I needed a new laptop for a consulting company I'm forming. OfficeDepot had the best deal on what I needed. So I bought it there. Even though I had to drive to another location because the one closest to me has closed. Thanks, Staples...

Also, be aware: the price on Amazon is not fixed. If you look at an item multiple times over some days or weeks, the price will drop. Buy it and the price goes back up the next time you look at it. I would not be surprised to find the your price and mine are different as well. They have the technology and they're not shy about using it. I'm not saying it's wrong or right, but be aware.

John

I found the opposite during Christmas. We were looking at a Masterbuilt smoker. Started out at 179 when we first started shopping. Couple days later it was 209. About a week later it was 249. We were like holy sheep dip Batman!

I am totally convinced the tracking on Amazon adjusts prices based on your buying style/profile. The above is just one example, but I have seen the price change midday as well on items I looked at. items in my cart have changed within minutes as well.

Online dry cleaning is actually a pretty good idea now that you mention it though....sort of like a NetFlix for Dry Cleaning.

When the big-box office stores like Staples came around, a few people complained that they were killing the small office-supply stores. Didn't matter, they killed them anyway.

When Barnes and Noble and Borders came around, a few people complained they we killing the small local bookstores. Didn't matter, they killed them anyway.

Now Amazon is killing the big-box office supply and the huge bookstores. And I'm supposed to care NOW?

Ron Wanttaja

Seeing as how the typical retail store employee knows little about their product and that you can get more accurate and unbiased information online there's little value added by the stores.

Getting it right now is just about the only advantage. That and shipping cost for bulky or heavy items. Aside from food and little stuff, I don't buy a lot locally anymore and really don't miss it.

I found the opposite during Christmas. We were looking at a Masterbuilt smoker. Started out at 179 when we first started shopping. Couple days later it was 209. About a week later it was 249. We were like holy sheep dip Batman!

I am totally convinced the tracking on Amazon adjusts prices based on your buying style/profile. The above is just one example, but I have seen the price change midday as well on items I looked at. items in my cart have changed within minutes as well.

Yes, I don't doubt it. The example I listed was not holiday time. The point is pricing on Amazon is not constant nor universal. They have to tech to adjust based on factors they mine from their store of data including the data they have on you and your habits. As more and more retail shopping goes online others will or have adopted this model.

John

Seeing as how the typical retail store employee knows little about their product and that you can get more accurate and unbiased information online there's little value added by the stores.

Maybe I'm just old, but I find a lot of value even at places like HD and Lowe's. Leo used to work in the plumbing section of our Home Depot. I'm not a plumber, but for the most part I know what I'm doing. Leo doesn't ask what I need, he asks what I'm doing. Several years ago I told him I was tight on space, working around old, crispy studs and had to splice a line. "We've got a brand new product, Shark Bite. You'll love it."

You'll never find the Leos of the world when you're ordering online. W/O him being where he was, when he was, I might not have known about Sharkbite for quite a while. And even if I had known about it, I don't know if I should have trusted the product. Say what you want about consumer reviews, but they're no more reliable than any of the comments you find in Spin Zone here. They're good to get a feel for something, but not to trust with 100% certainty. Plus, no matter what the product, you always have some people who will **** and moan about anything.

I bought a Husqvarna ZTR at Lowe's last year. It was the same price as the lowest on-line retailer. Except I had a problem with the starter clutch after a few weeks. Lowe's made the arrangements to have it picked up and taken to a shop. A few weeks later I had the same problem so they gave me a brand new one, zero hours, in exchange for mine that now had 40 hours. As much as I like Wise Sales, one of the best online retailers, they'd have never done that.

I'm not trashing online retailers. They have their place. I can search for things I'd never find locally. I can browse the Harley-Davidson website for hours but I don't get the same high that I do when I'm walking around the dealership. Online is great. But for me it's a last resort.

There is one exception. I think I'd much rather associate with you folks online vs having to look at you in person at a fly-in. :D

I mentioned this in another thread, but I had a sink full of dishes but no sponges. amazon to the rescue! ordered like a 12 pack and it was shipped, for free (well, I have amazon prime) and arrived the NEXT day! if only amazon had a dish washing service......

I mentioned this in another thread, but I had a sink full of dishes but no sponges. amazon to the rescue! ordered like a 12 pack and it was shipped, for free (well, I have amazon prime) and arrived the NEXT day! if only amazon had a dish washing service......

Washing dishes is Womans work...:D

Washing dishes is Womans work...:D

that's a good point actually....I should have just ordered new dishes from amazon at the same time and used the ones in the sink as trap targets....PULL!!

But eventually we will need to tax online sales to recoup the loss in B&M taxes.

Here is the problem for me - its not so much cost as availability.

there are some things that are not stocked locally any longer. You simply cannot find them locally. I live in southern California. It should be like New York: everything should be available. but it is not.

for example - lets say I want to build a model of an Airbus A321. with American Airlines decals. No hobby shop in all of Southern Calif stocks that model. And no hobby shop at all stocks the decal. Same question with a 1/32 Eduard BF-109E-1 or -3 kit - NOT for sale in any local hobby shop. No decals are available for it anywhere either. There are 14 million people who live in this area - and there is not enough demand for even one hobby shop to stock?

Lets move on to bicycle parts. I wanted to convert my mountain bike from center pull to disc brakes. Not a single local bike shop stocked the set I wanted- they could order them. And charge me retail for a guaranteed sale. And i'd have to go back to the store. Or - I can order via Amazon, save 25% and the part comes right to my home.

Now, a printer. I knew I wanted a basic color laser for the few times a year I want to print color. The Brother HL-3170 is network out of the box and after a careful review online, is exactly what I want. I check Bestbuy - not a single store has it in stock locally. I could order it for $229.99, plus tax plus the Calif electronics disposal fee and its $255 by the time I get it home. Or, I can order it online for $184, have it shipped to me second day air with $4 less tax. Not a single local retailer such as Staples had it either - I could have driven to MicroCenter in OC - but thats an hour each way - so there is the price of gasoline, and time, or it comes to my door.

Moving on to Lowes . .. the wife wanted those fancy Edison bulbs light set to adorn our outdoor living area for nighttime. Lowes sold them. $30 for a 10' long strand, with 7 bulbs. I needed 4. 40', 28 bulbs- $120. Or, I could buy a 37.5' strand online at Amazon with 25 bulbs for $37.50. 3 fewer bulbs, $82 less I ended up buying a pack of 18 replacements [you know you're not gonna find those at HD/Lowes or even Lamps Plus] for $22. I figure in 5 years when they all burn out I can spend another $25 then for another set of 18 and 10 years from now . . . . btw - neither HD nor Lowes have the replacement bulbs so if I'm retail I'm going to Lamps plus or lightbulbs etc and they're not going to be $22 for a set. . . .

I'll support any local retailer who makes the effort to say: "let me get it for you, I'll take 20% off for your trouble." It costs them ZERO in inventory- yet - they all want retail - and if I have to wait for an order - I am not going back to the store and pay full price. And I don't showroom Not even once.

Last edited:
I gave up on service in local stores a long time ago. . .

My wife was Christmas shopping and dragged me along - and we were in the midst of looking for specialty gifts for the 20 or so people who report to her and needed to spend $25 or so on each one - thats a pretty good transaction - $500 - for a local store. Well, we needed to ask if they could get 20 of an item - and after asking us to wait to ask a question, the owner rattled on and on with another 'customer' about their grandkids and the holidays and social events - and we're standing there with an item in our hands.

My bride put the item back and out we walked . . . spent the $500 elsewhere.

Don't even get me started on sales clerks who don't even know what they sell . . .. there is no point to retail any longer it seems.

Price, service and selection are all in the toilet.

Home Depot is a great example of a total CF being replaced by Amazon. They got rid of all the construction experienced help and started employing failed McDonalds workers and building self checkout lanes. Easier to buy screws on Amazon.

I hate Home Depot for this. Try and buy lumber there. You have a big cart full of stuff how do you run that through self service scanner? Then the one "normal" lane they have is full of people with one or two items, but they hate self check out.

Also what happened to ordering you lumber at the counter then driving in back and picking it up? Why do I need to load it on a cart then reload it in my truck?

They invested in the most efficient logistics system they could, that's how.

It bugs the hell out of me when I find what I need, say, on monoprice.com. I want it now, so I go to Best Buy and they're selling the EXACT same thing for triple the cost. Suddenly, it becomes "worth the wait" to buy online.

I was in Walmart on black Friday and price checked their "deals" only to find most of them were regular price at Target and other local stores. The "point of purchase" scam in brick and mortar stores is how they supplement the losses to online sales. "Ship to store" is another vehicle used to get foot traffic because if people see "sale" in the aisles on the way to pick up their item, they buy, whether it's a deal or not. Online shopping is for geeks and the thrifty. I'm both.

Back