Am I One of Those People Now?

SkyChaser

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
SkyChaser
This morning, as I sat in the aisle seat on a 757 wearing a ballcap with my flight school's logo and studying my ASA private pilot oral exam guide, I started wondering - is that as bad as announcing to everyone on the plane that you're a pilot?

And just in case anyone is wondering, if you pack a booster seat in your carry-on, security is going to unpack your bag trying to figure what on earth could be in there after they x-ray it. :)

Last edited:
is that as bad as announcing to everyone on the plane that you're a pilot?

No. Having just worn a mask for 12 straight hours from upstate New York to Tucson in various aircraft, its best just not to talk to anyone at all.

The flight attendants are just hall monitors anymore but you are obliged to tell them you're a pilot. I think it is the law.

I also carry back with me several blocks of cheese. I've never seen real C-4 but my cheese looks just like the C-4 that I've seen in movies. I always have that "this bag has been inspected by the TSA for flight safety" tag inside.

The flight attendants are just hall monitors anymore but you are obliged to tell them you're a pilot. I think it is the law.

I also carry back with me several blocks of cheese. I've never seen real C-4 but my cheese looks just like the C-4 that I've seen in movies. I always have that "this bag has been inspected by the TSA for flight safety" tag inside.
Except it looks like this when they're done!
bite-out-of-cheese.jpg

And I wear my Bose headsets when flying on an airline while I'm watching movies. Maybe a DB move, but I like them!

When I get on an airliner I almost always say hello to the pilots and tell them of my panel envy. Thankfully my getting on airliners is now a very rare event.

Drop a couple of harmonicas in your carry on if you want to spend a little quality time with the TSA.

When I get on an airliner I almost always say hello to the pilots and tell them of my panel envy. Thankfully my getting on airliners is now a very rare event.

One time when I was getting off an Alaska Airlines flight, I told the flight crew that I was a student pilot and asked if I could video the cockpit. The captain invited me to sit in the left seat while he took video of me. (This was ten years before 9-11.)

Last edited:
as long as you don't start wearing sectional yoga pants you'll be fine. actually, yoga pants are just fine with me, go for it!

as long as you don't start wearing sectional yoga pants you'll be fine. actually, yoga pants are just fine with me, go for it!

I do NOT wear yoga pants. Ever. LOL

Okay, I have to ask... why does this get their attention? Swithblade harmonica?

I'm not sure, but if you Google it, some senator got detained over his harmonica because it apparently set off the metal detector.

Take really stinky cheese. Problem solved.

Ha. My future son-in-law (sorry Ryan) experienced Limburger for the first time while we were at the cabin in New York. He couldn't finish the small piece he was given. I can't blame him though, it smelled like a combination of nasty feet and a cat box.

One time when I was getting off an Alaska Airlines flight, I told the flight crew that I was a student pilot and asked if I could video the cockpit. The captain invited me to sit in the left seat while he took video of me. (This was ten years before 9-11.)
It still happens. There are lots of kids, young and old, running around with pictures of them sitting in my seat. More than a few of my FO’s were surprised that I would allow the cattle to interact with us. When I challenged them to show me a rule I had broken they couldn’t.

I was at a regional so most of the people I worked with didn’t remember the good old days when cockpit doors were not locked, were often open during flight and it was possible to go visit the pilots in flight.

I made a point of being as welcoming as I could under the new rules.

And just in case anyone is wondering, if you pack a booster seat in your carry-on, security is going to unpack your bag trying to figure what on earth could be in there after they x-ray it. :)

Years ago when I was still jump seating between Texas and Alaska, I had an old antique looking candy can in my carry on. It was about 6 ounce size with an old and faded patina to it. When shaken, not stirred, it had an ominous rattle to it.

While going through security in Minneapolis or Seattle, the 117 year old TSA person looked at the can, shook it a couple times, then took the cap off of it to discover a 2 foot cloth covered spring snake that flys out of the can.

She screeched, dropped the can, backed up several, several steps and almost fell over the rest of the team that was busily trying to look important while not doing anything.

This attracted the attention of the police officers that were also busily trying to look important while not doing anything. (before TSA critters could wear their shiny badge) A crowd gathered while one of the police persons inspected the can, lid and cloth covered snake.

Then he mustered up the most stern look on his face that he could come up with, and tersely asked, ''Why are you carrying this in your bag?''

I leaned forward, putting weight on my knuckles while leaning on the table and mustering up the most stern look I could muster and said, ''Because I'm a pilot.''

Mr. Policeman leaned forward, squinted his eyes, possibly to read my company ID hangin' around my neck, and stared for more than a few seconds. I am thinking to myself, I hope they feed me while I am being detained.

He dropped everything in my bag, roughly slamming the front cover closed and not zipping it, then shoved it down the line.

I grabbed my bag, zipped it closed, shoved my feet into my shoes and walked away thinking....''Man, I gotta quit carrying that thing....''

we typically bring a bag of cashews when we travel as a good easy snack when we get hangry. Apparently those look like weapons in the scanners too. I’ve started taking those out of my bag ahead of time as we were always being stopped.

On our last trip a box of saltines got us questioned.

we typically bring a bag of cashews when we travel as a good easy snack when we get hangry. Apparently those look like weapons in the scanners too. I’ve started taking those out of my bag ahead of time as we were always being stopped.

On our last trip a box of saltines got us questioned.
A banana got me questioned at KICT.

A couple years ago I'm going through security at Sky Harbor. I am wearing slightly loose fitting jeans, and I have pulled them up further than normal because I have removed my belt. I enter the body scan, it scans, I exit, and wait for TSA to tell me to go. I see the TSA agent looking at the screen and his face gets the "I hate my job" look. I look back at the little screen and there is a big yellow block directly over my crotch. He looks at me and says "I'm gonna have to..." and before he can finish I spread my feet apart raise my arms way over my head, and am doing my best "hallelujah" pose while grinning like a Cheshire cat. Poor guy did his job in the most non-invasive way possible with the back of his hand, and I kinda felt sorry for him...a little bit...not enough to stop, though.

A banana got me questioned at KICT.

I had to show them the banana I had, too. Apparently bananas are dangerous? :confused: I decided to just sit at my next gate every time I landed so I didn't have to go through security again. Though I didn't get flagged for further screening of my person for a change.

The other thing I discovered today? It's entirely possible to reserve a rental car and still not have one. I've been at airports since 4:20 this morning, and I'm ready to get to my destination already! LOL

Exactly! I did get a car finally, and somehow survived the traffic. I do not like driving in cities and rush hour. LOL

It still happens. There are lots of kids, young and old, running around with pictures of them sitting in my seat.

Very cool! It certainly happens more often than people think. Just yesterday we had an 11 year old stop by after our flight to DFW, which is cool because we had extra time to show him around. I got out of my seat and we let him play, even raising the seat enough for him to look through the HUD. His Mom got a lot of pictures and video - I think they were both really pleased.

One of my favorite parts of the job!

Very cool! It certainly happens more often than people think. Just yesterday we had an 11 year old stop by after our flight to DFW, which is cool because we had extra time to show him around. I got out of my seat and we let him play, even raising the seat enough for him to look through the HUD. His Mom got a lot of pictures and video - I think they were both really pleased.

One of my favorite parts of the job!
Hope you didn't ask if he liked gladiators :)

man, that one nasty accident where the guy let his kid sit in the left seat mid-flight and he turned the AP off or something like that...brutal.

man, that one nasty accident where the guy let his kid sit in the left seat mid-flight and he turned the AP off or something like that...brutal.

Didn't that happen in Russia or somewhere near there.??

Back in the day, my very first flight as a kid was in a Super Constellation. The Capt took this wide eyed kid as he boarded, sat him in the left seat and gave me a quick rundown on the various levers, gages and other gadgets. Cemented the idea of being an airplane geek for the rest of my life.

Cheers

I always check in with the pilots to let them know I am a private pilot, ASEL instrument and if that things get hairy and they need someone to bounce some ideas off of or to jump in the captain's seat on a particularly tricky leg, I'm there for them.

On this RV trip my son saw an SR71.

Now he wants to build a plane - an SR71 of course, but wants it to be 3 times faster.

I suggested WE build a smaller airplane first. He was excited about that. I guess I know what we’re doing after the Cobra.

Back in the day, my very first flight as a kid was in a Super Constellation. The Capt took this wide eyed kid as he boarded, sat him in the left seat and gave me a quick rundown on the various levers, gages and other gadgets. Cemented the idea of being an airplane geek for the rest of my life.

I have a similar story, but it was a United 727. Didn't get to sit in the left seat, but the entire crew took a huge amount of time showing me around the cockpit. Gave me a goodie bag with wings (which I still have) and candy, and I remember my Mom loving the fact that my birthday, July 27th, had a connection to the airplane. I might have been 4? 5? It was definitely a seminal moment for loving all things aviation!

It's fun to hear your guys' stories! I don't have one and my sole exposure to airports before starting lessons was limited to the drop off line...apparently being an airplane geek was just genetically programmed into me from birth. ;) I was 18 before I flew the first time, and I have yet to ask for a flight deck tour. Though I gawked at three different panels today and that was fun. I'm always on a tight schedule when I fly commercial, but someday!

Scanner threat logic is always fun to play with. Scrapple looks explosive, I learned last month.

I don’t remember my first cockpit tour. I was always surrounded by it so maybe nothing really stuck out to me. 2 years ago I went on a Royal Caribbean cruise and I’ve always wanted to check out the bridge but they wanted to charge $150 for a tour! The captain’s gala was the next night and I wanted to say to him, “ I never charge for people so see my flight deck!”:D

Back