Am I allowed to sign off on my own work?

Not quite. Anyone, and I mean anyone (your neighbor's teenage kid) regardless of experience can perform any maintenance on an E-AB with no supervision or signoff. Only the condition inspection requires credentials (such as an A&P or repairman's certificate for that airframe).
Isn't the condition inspection a one time inspection? Then after that you're basically on your own?

For all intents and purposes....it's the same as an annual....cept there is no TC to be maintained.

Isn't the condition inspection a one time inspection? Then after that you're basically on your own?

You are thinking of the initial airworthiness inspection by the FSDO/MIDO or a DAR. That's one time, but there after you have the annual condition inspection just like Sixie stated above.

The inspection is mandated in the aircraft OPLIMS which are part of the aircraft's AWC.

Last edited:
You are thinking of the initial airworthiness inspection by the FSDO/MIDO or a DAR. That's one time, but there after you have the annual condition inspection just like Sixie stated above.
Who can perform a Condition Inspection?
The inspection can be performed by any licensed A&P mechanic, an FAA Approved Repair Station, or by the builder of the airplane provided the builder obtains a "Repairman's Certificate" from the FAA. Note that unlike an annual for a type certificated aircraft, the A&P mechanic does NOT have to have his/her "Inspection Authorization".

This is the what I was referring to after getting an airworthiness cert. ;)

The inspection can be performed by any licensed A&P mechanic, an FAA Approved Repair Station, or by the builder of the airplane provided the builder obtains a "Repairman's Certificate" from the FAA. Note that unlike an annual for a type certificated aircraft, the A&P mechanic does NOT have to have his/her "Inspection Authorization".

Yes but as I already stated, the builder has to apply for the cert, it's not automatically issued just because you built the plane. When I got mine, I spent about and hour and a half answering mostly engine related maintenance questions before the FSDO inspector was satisfied with my level of knowledge. Some have gotten their's with less effort so YMMV.

If you don't apply for or somehow get refused the cert, then you need to have an A&P (or whomever your OPLIMS say) sign off on the condition inspection.

Yes but as I already stated, the builder has to apply for the cert, it's not automatically issued just because you built the plane. When I got mine, I spent about and hour and a half answering mostly engine related maintenance questions before the FSDO inspector was satisfied with my level of knowledge. Some have gotten their's with less effort so YMMV. If you don't apply for or somehow get refused the cert, then you need to have an A&P sign off on the condition inspection.
Got it. ;)

And as previously ignored... the repairman's certificate for an E-AB is only possible for the actual builder. For E-LSA there is a course that can be taken.

There are three ways to do that. Work experience. school. recommendation. buy a plane find a A&P and start proving your worth.

Are you saying that I could actually go to work for an A&P shop for three years, then take the tests and get my certs... rather than going to school? That sounds like a cool alternative also.

Just working for an A&P shop doing oil changes for three years probably won't hack it. I believe the FAA will require some documentation on an aspiring A&P actually doing a wide range of maintenance on aircraft under a certificated mechanic's supervision. If they accept the documentation, then you have to take all the tests--three written and two practical.

Back