Always thought it was just a joke, but...

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by Kritchlow, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Kritchlow

Kritchlow Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kritchlow
    I have read numerous threads here about private pilots letting flight attendants know they are a pilot, and can help if needed. Honestly, I always thought it was just satire.
    Well, this morning I was in the back while jumpseating, and I heard the guy behind me actually tell the flight attendant he was a private pilot, and could help if needed. He was dead serious.
    I almost choked on my bagel.

2. DFH65

DFH65 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    DFH65
    So much less dramatic than a frantic cry for anyone on the plane who is a pilot. :)

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc Holliday
  4. Bill Jennings

Bill Jennings Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    This page intentionally left blank
    Wow, what a chump. The FAs gotta get a good giggle out of that stuff...

Omalley1537, Huckster79 and Ryanb like this.
  5. Ryanb

Ryanb Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    <secretly hopes the FA thinks ‘Private Pilot’ means flying some rich person around in a private jet>

;)

Omalley1537 and Huckster79 like this.
  6. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    TCABM likes this.
  7. steingar

steingar Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    steingar
    I've walked up front on airliners to chat up the pilots. I've only done it when the flight was delayed and we were just sitting, never in flight. The pilots all looked like fresh faced kids.

8. jordane93

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    Very common at my regional to have 23 year old captains and 21 year old FOs. My new hire class at Delta at had a few 24 year olds.

Hacker likes this.
  9. Ryanb

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    I’m sure we’ve all done that at some point.

10. eman1200

eman1200 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200
    I'm usually too busy impressing the stewardess with tales of my heroic private piloting skillz

11. Bill Jennings

Bill Jennings Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    This page intentionally left blank
    Like that landing at Willow Grove???

12. eman1200

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200
    what, I was aiming for the 2500' marker. that runway is so bumpy I prefer to land on the last 9/10ths of it.

13. Stingray Don

Stingray Don En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stingray Don
    FA: “Thank you for offering to help. Can you pass these peanuts out to the other passengers? When your done with that, the lav could use cleaning”.

14. deonb

deonb Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    deonb
    Ok serious version of that - do current type-certified ATP's make themselves known?

E.g. If you're taking a vacation trip? Obviously for commuting trips you're known anyway.

15. jordane93

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    Lol no. I want to enjoy a beverage and watch movies. The FA’s at Delta can see details about every passenger. They know who and where the non revs are sitting, who is a frequent flyer, etc. The other give away is crew luggage. Everyone has a black Travelpro, luggage works, strong bags with a crew tag on it.

denverpilot, Hacker and deonb like this.
  16. Everskyward

Everskyward Administrator Management Council Member

Display Name:

Display name:
    Everskyward
    I've only done it on an airliner when I knew the pilots.

When I flew charter, sometimes a private pilot would come up and ask a few questions, but no one claimed that they were there to help, except in jest. And the people jesting were mostly non-pilots.

Huckster79 likes this.
  17. Stingray Don

Stingray Don En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Stingray Don
    Or.....

FA: “I checked with the captain. He asked if you wouldn’t mind stirring the chemtrail tanks.”

18. Ryanb

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    I’ve asked to visit the flight deck on several different occasions just to chit chat for a moment or two, but never once have I claimed that I was there to help, because I hold a pilot certificate. Take a peek, ask a question or two and bug out. Of course this is all bearing they have time for a visitor.

19. midwestpa24

midwestpa24 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    midwestpa24
    I never mention being a pilot, I figure there is probably a non-rev somewhere on board far more qualified.

I will say my Fire Department attire has gotten us upgraded to exit rows a time or two though. I've heard the FA are sizing up pax to see who would be useful in an emergency.

20. kayoh190

kayoh190 Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kayoh@190
    Like @jordane93 normally I don't (I *really* try to be incognito if at all possible!), but if I'm using jumpseat privileges - even for a pleasure trip - I'll always check in with the front end crew since my presence onboard is at the discretion of the captain. But that has nothing to do with me wanting it be known that I can 'help'.

If I'm nonreving or bought my own ticket - I'll stay out of everyone's way. Nobody cares that I'm onboard anyway!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    G-Man and deonb like this.
  21. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    Flying the Navajo up in Alaska, two different times I had a person tell me they are a pilot and could help out if needed.

The guy was seated in the back to ensure the door does not come open in flight.

The pretty girl got to sit next to me....

Jim K and timwinters like this.
  22. timwinters

timwinters Ejection Handle Pulled PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    LTD
    i.e.

It's like some dork saying:

I see you're having sex with your girlfriend. I've masturbated a few times so I could help out if you need it.

ETres, Tantalum, Hacker and 3 others like this.
  23. jordane93

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    [​IMG]

24. Larry in TN

Larry in TN Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Larry in TN
    An Einstein Bagel?

25. midwestpa24

midwestpa24 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    midwestpa24
    [​IMG]

SoonerAviator likes this.
  26. Shawn

Shawn En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Shawn
    I work in the entrainment and events industry and occasionally enjoy running the sound, lights, or video systems during the show where we use some pretty state of the art technology. Nothing is more annoying than the High School Theater Tech or Church A/V volunteer lurking over your shoulder that walks up to talk shop about their podunk system they have when you are trying to do your job since you are typically exposed to the audience. Occasionally get a nice person with legit questions which I genuinely do not mind but that is more rare than common.

I give the respect to professional pilots to not be "that guy" just cuz I fly a put put plane and this is their day job!

27. Larry in TN

Larry in TN Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Larry in TN
    I like showing interested passengers, both young and old, around the cockpit. COVID may make that a bit more complicated, but during normal times, come on up when you board.

There are times when we're busy and wouldn't have much time to interact but we usually do. My (personal) goal is to have all of my preflight and setup done at least 20 minutes before departure so that there is time to handle anything unexpected that might turn up (and drink coffee, of course). As long as I'm on-track time-wise, I'm happy to let visitors sit in my seat, push a few buttons, and ask any questions.

I also like audio/video equipment. Was involved with our campus radio station in college and work part time at a local AM/FM station. I like the equipment and the setup. I like to see how it all works together. Learning what balanced audio was, and what it does/allows, is still a milestone event from my youth. :) These days, I find myself watching YouTube videos of people showing how they setup their network racks.

Once YouTube channel that I really liked, but has now gone silent, is www.youtube.com/FiberNinja. He documented a number of jobs where he went in to a business and rebuilt their network set. He took some complete disasters and turned them into nice neat, clean, functioning, and maintainable setups. Sounds really boring, right? Somehow, though, I couldn't stop watching.

28. danhagan

danhagan Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    danhagan
    Most of you all are using the wrong approach ... you need to tell the FA you can fly the C-152 and have several videos on YouTube:confused::p

Huckster79 likes this.
  29. weilke

weilke Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    weilke
    I have the crew-bag for its durability but its lacking the crew tag and the union stickers. A few times, I had FAs ask me who I fly for. I figure it was just curiosity as I didn't fit any of the prototypical business class customers.

30. Shawn

Shawn En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Shawn
    I agree and do the same in my industry...but there is a difference between a genuine interest and curiosity while sharing knowledge and "that guy" that is the lurker and wants to jump in should you suddenly need a hero!

31. PaulS

PaulS Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    PaulS
    Does this qualify for that juxtaposed thread thread? WTF Tim, lol.

Huckster79 likes this.
  32. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    Friend of mine is a private pilot married to a former Continental FA. She tells a good story about their first date. Met on a flight she was working and he managed to convince her to let him take her out that evening. He never mentioned anything about being a pilot.

Arranged for a club 172 and thought he would surprise her by taking her for a flight on a nice evening to see the lights of the city. She said after working in an airplane all day the last thing she wanted to do was get into another airplane. But apparently she was a good sport about it, he recovered from the bad start, and they've been together more than 30 years now.

33. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    Nothing to do with the crew-bag or curiosity. It's the pilot aura you exude dude! :D

denverpilot likes this.
  34. weilke

weilke Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    weilke
    A few years ago, my daughter showed an interest in playing the Sax. I found a good student saxophone at a pawn-shop while on the road for work. As I didn't want the airline to crush it, I checked my regular rollaboard and carried the sax case instead. I came off an overnight shift so I was in jeans and a T-shirt and probably looked a bit rough. On that trip, three separate women started to chat me up with the 'are you a musician ?' line (1 regional FA, an airport cop and a lady in business class). Not that this is the kind of thing I am fishing for, but if I can choose 'aura', I'll go for musician over pilot ;-)

Brad Z, GRG55, G-Man and 1 other person like this.
  35. SToL

SToL Line Up and Wait

Bush Alaska, Colorado Rockies & Valley of the Sun
    Display Name:

Display name:
    SToL
    When ever I board a commercial flight, I just step on wearing my flight helmet, visor down!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    Omalley1537 likes this.
  36. Salty

Salty Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Salty
    When ever I board a commercial flight, I just step on wearing my flight helmet, visor down![/QUOTE]

SToL likes this.
  37. MacFly

MacFly Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    MacFly
    Really? I've been a pilot for more than 50 years, fly commercially very often, and would never even consider intruding on their cockpit, especially in this era of locked cockpit doors. What would be the point? What would I possibly have in common with the crew of a commercial airliner? Other than taking a vehicle with wings up into the sky, my flying has absolutely nothing to do with their flying....

38. eman1200

Display Name:

Display name:
    eman1200
    I'm not sure but I think there might possibly be one, maybe two people on this forum who are interested in aviation. last I checked, a commercial plane falls somewhere in the realm of aviation. therefore, although shocking, I know, someone may possibly find the cockpit and/or it's operations somewhat intriguing. weird, I know. but you're probably right, it's unimaginable that someone would take an interest in what's going on up there.

39. MacFly

MacFly Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    MacFly
    Bah. To me, it would seem like the guy with the sports car that goes up to chat with the bus driver.

40. SkyChaser

SkyChaser Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    SkyChaser
    See, some of us think jets are just as cool as our little planes - if it flys, it's pretty cool! ;) I've never actually visited the cockpit any of the four or five times I've flown commercially, but I've thought about it because it would be so neat to see. Once, a couple of years ago, when my flight was delayed for five or six hours, the whole flight crew came and waited in the terminal with the rest of us. The FO sat next to me, and I wish I'd been outgoing enough to say more than hello - there was plenty of time and the only thing I'd have been distracting anyone from was how slow the time was going by!