Altimeter setting below MSL?

Brendan Cobble

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Airfoil
So imagine you're on run up, you need to dial in your altimeter. Airport elevation is below MSL. Lets say -150ft. What do you do? Not that it matters but lets just say standard pressure too. Please help I haven't slept for 3 days over this. Need resolution asap.

The altimeter doesn’t stop at zero...

You can have a negative reading, so what’s the big deal?

My altimeter was reading 99,900 last time I got in.

So imagine you're on run up, you need to dial in your altimeter. Airport elevation is below MSL. Lets say -150ft. What do you do? Not that it matters but lets just say standard pressure too. Please help I haven't slept for 3 days over this. Need resolution asap.

Just set it below zero lol

791-C88-F8-D9-E5-444-B-A088-32-C8-DBC27344.jpg

20-FE8-B7-E-DF0-E-4-B86-BFB7-EEB9116234-FE.jpg

Or you can keep cranking the knob until it reads 9850. Then all you have to do is remember that you're 10,000 feet off.

I was at furnace creek, looked similar to the picture above. I got a picture somewhere....

Actually, isn't that what MSL stand for? Minus Sea Level?

Are you sure you’re fit to fly?
This was more or less a test lol. First post. I really just wanted to see what people would think. I'm already taking Instrument level classes.

Dang, didn't know people would get so upset? I mean it's a pretty valid question to be honest. Not sure how asking what Alt setting i should use in death valley would make me "unfit to fly" but okay. MSL stands for Mean Sea Level. Basic part 1 knowledge.

MT? Middle Tenn?

Also, this site is full of smart asses and jokes to old threads. We all know what MSL means.

Dang, didn't know people would get so upset? I mean it's a pretty valid question to be honest. Not sure how asking what Alt setting i should use in death valley would make me "unfit to fly" but okay. MSL stands for Mean Sea Level. Basic part 1 knowledge.

Easy there, ya Middle Tenn., Colonel Powley 152-flyin' greenhorn.

I hope you didn't think I was upset. I was just having some fun. And yes, I know, MSL stands for Mean Sea Level. Learned that in 1990. :cornut:

would make me "unfit to fly"
Actually, that was in response to you saying that you had not slept in three nights because of this question. Again, it was a joke that might’ve flown right over your head and landed somewhere in Oklahoma, oh well.

It's a trick question. You are not allowed to fly certificated aircraft below sea level. Those are called submarines, and as we recently learned, only a special few submarine drivers actually think of themselves as pilots. So, again, double trick question, as you don't even fly a submarine, even if you do call yourself a pilot.

:D

Don't get upset. None of us are.

Literally everyone here knows exactly what msl stands for. They're just having fun at the expense of someone for whom it is apparently very new.

It's a trick question. You are not allowed to fly certificated aircraft below sea level. Those are called submarines, and as we recently learned, only a special few submarine drivers actually think of themselves as pilots. So, again, double trick question, as you don't even fly a submarine, even if you do call yourself a pilot.
How's the saying go?

There are more airplanes in the ocean than submarines in the sky.

I always set to airfield elevation, then compare to the reported altimeter setting if available. Furnace Creek in Death Valley is -210 MSL.

DSC00115.JPG

What's the elevation of the airport on the left side of this picture (down below)? Where was this picture taken?

Now, what is your altimeter going to read before takeoff here?

Back