Airlines; guitars.

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Go ahead and post the United breaks guitars vid if you must. Wait. Don't bother.

Seriously, I have to ship a guitar.
What are the options for someone traveling with the guitar?
Maybe there is a place on the AA site which says how?

Can it be taking into cabin? Left in the coat rack area or something? It's a big acoustic - with case, no way it will fit in oh bins.
If in cargo, place it in an oversize case, wrapped in bubble wrap?

My suggestion would be a hard case like a Pelican and lots of foam surrounding it.

(And, yeah, I did think of the video when I read the headline)

Only way to take it in the cabin is in a gig bag (if the airline will allow) and then you have to give it to an FA to put in a coat closet.

When I used to fly with my guitars I just put them in their cases and checked them. Never had any problems, but they were in good quality cases.

If you are really concerned, wrap the guitar case in bubble wrap and put inside a larger cardboard box. That is basically how the manufacturers ship them.

My cello teacher always bought an extra seat. Of course his cello was 6 figures. Mine is not.

I checked an acoustic in its SKB case once. No problem. Just don't be quite like me. I bought a nice new guitar to protect my vintage one from gigs in smoky bars, then bought a second case for the new guitar to protect its nice case from traveling to gigs in smoky bars. I'm the guy putting expensive 3M clearbra on his beater car to protect the rust spots.

But if you check the guitar and they don't remember to give you the advice they gave me: If the strings are metal, loosen them before checking it. Baggage compartments can be cold enough to hurt the guitar from the shrinking metal strings.

You could "gate-check" it couldn't you? Less opportunity for abuse that way.

Buy a seat for it. There's no guarantee that they're going to have room on the plane. That's really the only way to guarantee its safety.

I think the TSA is at least the biggest place to check. Back in the early 2000's (but definitely at least a few years after 9/11 so it was in the newer rules) I remember reading good advice in "Acoustic Guitar" magazine. They had a letter from the then head of the TSA, where it stated that in all cases musical instruments such as guitars would be accommodated, a directive to in most cases allow for carry-on of guitars, violins, etc.

They recommended keeping a copy with you (in the guitar case maybe) and presenting it if you meet resistance on their part to allow. They did point out that at least at the time, employees of TSA were not consistent, and in many cases ignored the letter but it was one thing that might help. You do want to be polite.

But the best advice was to use the letter if at check in they tried demanding (TSA or the airline personnel) you check it in, ask to please be allowed to try to carry on, and mention that you would understand if cabin crew could not accommodate you and you won't make a fuss.

The idea is, let the cabin crew decide. If you got that far, they might be (or not) more inclined to try and help, but even if they tell you it has to be checked, the good thing is, it is taken from you there at the ramp by a baggage handler, that will put it on top of the rest of the baggage (and often they say in a "safer place" in cargo) and in my experience you get it back on the ramp on the way out like they do with strollers. This may have changed since the last time I did it, or not be consistent but I think it is the best chance one has for the guitar.

If they let you on with it, they put it in one of the upright closets they have at bulkheads. When it won't fit in the overhead.

I have checked in guitars in soft shell cases, but it was always my "beater" guitar that I wasn't worried about. Always has gone ok. On the other hand, years ago in Kastrup airport waiting to board, I was watching a baggage handler in the Tarmac that drove his cart like 10 feet or more for the conveyer belt, and seemed to be making a game of throwing baggage (one was a set of golf clubs) from ten feet away in a high arc, to try and get it on the belt...and he wasn't very good at that even. By the time I thought to take video he was done. At least a third of the bags didn't hit right and fell off to the Tarmac. I don't think this happens often, but we passenger ought to be ready to film when we see idiotic, thoughtless, damaging abuse like that, and publicize it, so they react.
Good luck!

Last edited:
Traveled a lot with my accoustic, hardshell case and definately loosen the strings. Always used checked baggage. Never been a problem.

Traveled a lot with my accoustic, hardshell case and definately loosen the strings. Always used checked baggage. Never been a problem.
I am in a position now of having to consider this. I want to carry it on but if I have to check it, my concern is the latches. I am not sure if TSA or whoever has to actually open it to inspect it. Otherwise I would tie wrap it and be done with it.

Wait, are you even allowed to carry a guitar through the TSA "security" checkpoint nowadays? It's got metal strings. Those are used by assassins to kill people. Wouldn't they arrest you for trying to "smuggle" a weapon onboard? *shrug*

I never had a problem with the latches on mine, never thought about it really. I also didn't care if they opened it. Mine is a great guitar, don't get me wrong, but if I wanted to bring it on an airliner that was just the way it was. I would have dealt with it the first time if something went wrong. Oh and by the way, it is still a great guitar!

I never had a problem with the latches on mine, never thought about it really. I also didn't care if they opened it. Mine is a great guitar, don't get me wrong, but if I wanted to bring it on an airliner that was just the way it was. I would have dealt with it the first time if something went wrong. Oh and by the way, it is still a great guitar!
Glad to here it. I have a Martin, not sure what model. It is more guitar than my skill level deserves. But bottom line is that I don't want anything to happen to it that I can prevent.

I've seen several people with soft/hard cases on the aircraft. If it doesn't fit in the overhead, the FA will find a spot for it; be it in the forward coat closet or behind the last seat in 1st Class between the seat and partition, at least on DA/UA.

I've allowed a passenger to put it in the cockpit on the CRJ a few times. There's a narrow closet but if it's a fat case won't fit. You might not get it back either if it's a nice Les Paul. :D

Les Paul.jpg

I've seen several people with soft/hard cases on the aircraft. If it doesn't fit in the overhead, the FA will find a spot for it; be it in the forward coat closet or behind the last seat in 1st Class between the seat and partition, at least on DA/UA.
Since I work for UA, I think they will accommodate .

Glad to here it. I have a Martin, not sure what model. It is more guitar than my skill level deserves. But bottom line is that I don't want anything to happen to it that I can prevent.
Ha ha, mine is a Martin knockoff, a Sigma. Quite a stretch when I got it, but sounds great. If I had a true Martin I still would take if flying on an airliner. As long as it was in a hard case.

I'm not a guitarist, but my instrument goes on with me, by whatever means is necessary, period. It's never been a problem carrying a trombone on, though they aren't that small. Though they do fit in a 172 (just barely).

Don't F with a musician's instrument, any more than you would mess with his kid.

I'm not a guitarist, but my instrument goes on with me, by whatever means is necessary, period. It's never been a problem carrying a trombone on, though they aren't that small. Though they do fit in a 172 (just barely).

Don't F with a musician's instrument, any more than you would mess with his kid.

I'll see if the airlines feel the same with the drum kit . . . ;)

Oh mine too, but if I ever get competent enough that would be my award to myself. :cool: :D
Just got my first LP last week. It's sweet.

884c00bcd8b791ba16377fc504ab8910.jpg

Every airline's web site should have information about travelling with a guitar. That's the best place to get the information for your airline.

Generally, they are allowed as carry-on baggage but there must be room for them to be properly stowed. If you have a late boarding group there's no guarantee that there will be room remaining.

Don't do it! If you bring a guitar onboard all the stewerdesses think you are a ROCK STAR and want to be your groupie.

I wouldn't check anything I valued. We had an inspector check 45k worth of borescope equipment and it arrived all balled up and missing quite a bit. I don't recall the exact $ amount lost but the box of calibrated measurement tips, alone, was something like $15k

Epiphone has some LP-series that have a pretty good reputation for getting you 90%+ of the LP sound at 25% of the cost of the full Gibson LP-series. I know several guys who just play guitar recreationally (or light cover-band stuff) and don't want to invest the money in a Gibson-model.

I have a lowly Yamaha elec-acoustic, but haven't picked it up in over a year. Never got past the first dozen chords and half-dozen songs, lol.

Tom Paxton - Definitive song on airlines and guitars

Like the color. Love the sound of them. Funny how you can tell what guitar it is, just by hearing it. Like a strat too.
That's so true.

I'm primarily a Rickenbacker/Gretsch guy, but when you want that Les Paul sound, only a Les Paul will do.

I would be a much better guitar player if I bothered to check my axes on work trips. Unfortunately I am fond of minimal packing. I don't even use the overhead anymore for single overnight trips. Been on too many flights that run out of overhead space. I wear my suit and pack one change of clothes in my briefcase.

I joke that I really needed the Beech 18 to carry all my guitars. I can fit alot of gear in that airplane!

Back