Airlines; guitars.

Best way to ship a guitar is in a case and then put the case in a cardboard box (you can get them at a guitar store). If you fly on airlines, carry it on the plane and you wont need a cardboard box. Those airport conveyor belts can break guitar cases.

You play hobby or gigs? Or just collect geetars?
Mostly hobby. I dabble in home recording, but I can't sing or write lyrics which limits me a bit. Now that I'm off active duty, I'm trying to branch out.

Mostly hobby. I dabble in home recording, but I can't sing or write lyrics which limits me a bit. Now that I'm off active duty, I'm trying to branch out.

My wife tells me I can't sing. But what does she know! :D

Seems a lot of lyrics are just a reflection of daily life. I'm a big Skynyrd fan and you can see that in RVZ's songs. Of course having the music to accompany important too. Amazes me that artists can create all this music.

It's a 5420T. One of their lower end models. I'm too poor to afford their other models!
The Electromatic series that Fender created after acquiring Gretsch are actually pretty descent guitars for the money.

Very cool. Wish I had learned to play, I guess it's never too late.

Check out justinguitar.com and andyguitar.co.uk/ for excellent instruction, FREE. Jamplay is a great paid site, $100/year when you catch a year's subscription on sale.

I've had 3-4 instructors, and only was decent. Just like CFIs I guess. :D

Last edited:
I started at around 50. Can even play a few songs now. For me the key is my teacher. A great teacher and keeps me motivated.

I started in HS playing base 50+ years ago, then had a 48 year layoff. Started back at 65, and none of it has come back from that time, but it's fun learning now.

Last edited:
Harsh realities about the aging brain... after several years of grad school my brother has decided to discontinue his stride towards doctorate in EE, at 62. Sad.

The Electromatic series that Fender created after acquiring Gretsch are actually pretty descent guitars for the money.
Yea they're not bad. I brought it to a guitar tech and he did a nice set up on it. I'm all set for amps. I love the Bad Cat. I'm a fan of smaller tube amps and just cranking the heck out of them. It's a clone of a Fender Champ.

Harsh realities about the aging brain... after several years of grad school my brother has decided to discontinue his stride towards doctorate in EE, at 62. Sad.

I've been playing guitar since the 70's, in bands, still going strong (www.steamcircusband.com) as a happy amateur.

For me playing guitar is like falling off a log, but recently, at 60, started flying lessons.

Edit to add: I don't mean I think I'm a fantastic guitarist, just I'm thinking after all these years I can mostly play what I want to hear, don't have to think about mechanics of it, just know what to do to get the sounds I want, etc. I guess probably I play guitar kind of like many of you fly, and I fly probably like some of you play guitar :)

I got a BSEE (electronics) when I was mid thirties. Was the toughest studying, learning, but I loved it. I just plugged away until I got each difficult concept, studied, etc.

At 60, ground school here feels about the same or harder maybe even, in some ways (in exactly the way that when I accidentally fired an 8080 CPU by hooking it up backwards, I was never in danger of falling out of the sky) and I really, really love learning it, but man...weather, navigation, aerodynamics, etc. is a lot to take in.

Of course, I'm doing it in Norwegian (checking also reference books in English) which I began learning at 36 or so.

Anyway, you mentioning that about your brother gave me a scare...thinking maybe I am too old, but hope it is just that a doctorate is hundreds of times harder. Maybe too the passion wasn't still there? I still have it for flying.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of smaller tube amps and just cranking the heck out of them. It's a clone of a Fender Champ.
That is so true.

Way back in the early 90s, I saved up bought a VOX AC30, because all my heroes played through AC30s. But while the AC30 is a great sounding amp if you are playing stadiums, it is just waaaaay too much amp for average use.

Even my personal guitar god, Mike Campbell, has shifted away from the bigger amps and now plays primarily through a little Princeton Reverb and lets; the venue's sound system take care of the rest. The small amps are great because you crank them and get that tube distortion without blowing your eardrums out.

I've been playing guitar since the 70's, in bands, still going strong (www.steamcircusband.com) as a happy amateur.

For me playing guitar is like falling off a log, but recently, at 60, started flying lessons.

I got a BSEE (electronics) when I was mid thirties. Was the toughest studying, learning, but I loved it. I just plugged away until I got each difficult concept, studied, etc.

At 60, ground school here feels about the same or harder maybe even, in some ways (in exactly the way that when I accidentally fired an 8080 CPU by hooking it up backwards, I was never in danger of falling out of the sky) and I really, really love learning it, but man...weather, navigation, aerodynamics, etc. is a lot to take in.

Of course, I'm doing it in Norwegian (checking also reference books in English) which I began learning at 36 or so.

Anyway, you mentioning that about your brother gave me a scare...thinking maybe I am too old, but hope it is just that a doctorate is hundreds of times harder. Maybe too the passion wasn't still there? I still have it for flying.
He's the highest educated person I've ever known, (two bachelors and two masters, three being from MIT), he always set gaols and didn't stop till achieving. He flew, got his PP at 18 and flew tankers, kc-135 and -10 for eight years before becoming a usaf test pilot. Diabetes is in our genetics and ended his flying. I think there was just too much time between the bachelor's in EE/master's in EE and computer science from the '70's, and now.

He's the highest educated person I've ever known, (two bachelors and two masters, three being from MIT), he always set gaols and didn't stop till achieving. He flew, got his PP at 18 and flew tankers, kc-135 and -10 for eight years before becoming a usaf test pilot. Diabetes is in our genetics and ended his flying. I think there was just too much time between the bachelor's in EE/master's in EE and computer science from the '70's, and now.

That's very accomplished. Sounds like he's made a good mark on the world!
I don't know what it is like at that kind of level, but just in my own smaller world, technical electronics and computer advances at some point make one have to shift gears a lot mentally. I went on to programming, and honestly each new language after C and then Java seem to be, not that revolutionary and not that compelling.

Damn...I wish I'd gotten my PPL at 18, I even wish I had gotten it when I was 40.
Getting old kinda sucks in a lot of ways.

You mean in the plane? No no! :D

Could be kinda fun...

"More throttle, watch your airspeed!"

"Ok, now you play an E chord and hammer on the seventh note!...man watch that guitar neck, you just bumped the throttle again!"

Though it would be easier to teach inverted chords!

Could be kinda fun...

"More throttle, watch your airspeed!"

"Ok, now you play an E chord and hammer on the seventh note!...man watch that guitar neck, you just bumped the throttle again!"

Though it would be easier to teach inverted chords!

Inverted chords, interesting. It'd be definitely entertaining. Maybe we could make a you tube video so everyone on POA would have a laugh too.

I checked an electric guitar that I packed in an acoustic case once. I was just flying home for the weekend so I stuffed clothes around it and, because the latches didn't work, I wrapped my belt around it to keep it closed. as I was sitting on the plane watching the ground crew load bags, I saw them toss my guitar onto the conveyor with no belt on it. I pointed it out to a FA but nothing was done. I ended up getting it from the baggage claim like that. the belt was wrapped up inside the case, and my pocket knife was missing. i was pretty ****ed after that flight.

Back