Airliners and Icing/deicing

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by skier, Dec 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. KSCessnaDriver

KSCessnaDriver Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    KSCessnaDriver
    Try Atlanta, it's a joy...

2. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    :yes:

3. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    Do they have like 2 deice trucks?

4. Getonit

Getonit Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    And a motivated caring workforce

Sluggo63 likes this.
  5. mscard88

mscard88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    They have a lot, especially Delta, but that's Delta's biggest hub so they have Delta and Delta Connectors to deice/anti-ice, so a lot of planes and the line/wait gets long. When I left the airline in 2013 it was a lot more organized than years prior, and better.

6. kayoh190

kayoh190 Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kayoh@190
    Flew with a guy that called it a work free drug environment. :)

7. KSCessnaDriver

KSCessnaDriver Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    KSCessnaDriver
    And a bunch of highly paid pilots that can't talk on the radio... Makes things run so smoothly.

8. JustinD

JustinD Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    JustinD
    No it’s not required, nor is it required for the airport to have any sort of ice or snow removal for the surfaces, check out the current NOTAMs for CHS airport is closed cause they can’t clear anything

It’s up to the airline to decide if the cost of maintaining and training a de ice crew and truck is worth it. At my current carrier I haven’t seen anywhere without trucks, we own our own though.

At my previous carrier sometimes it was contracted out and several airports had no de ice capability. I remember one morning in Daytona we had more than the allowable amount of frost on the wings and had to wait for the sun to melt it off before we could go, we took a delay. It’s up to the airline to decide if the frequency of that delay or possible cancellation is more cost effective than having the capability to De/Anti ice

Also someone else mentioned some planes de icing and others not, it’s a factor of many things and the planes have different properties a plane might build ice up when another has not, or perhaps one plane was sitting around all day covered in ice but the other aircraft just flew in and turned, just because one aircraft is de icing doesn’t mean they all need to. If it’s sctively a form of freezing/frozen precip then you should see all aircraft anti-icing doing it. It’s important to note it’s really two separate things, De Icing and anti icing, if you de ice you don’t necessarily need to anti ice, if you are going to anti-ice as part of the two step process you’d deice immediately prior