Aircraft security

Katamarino

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Katamarino
I'm looking at the best way to protect the 182 when it's parked up in more unusual locations. So far, I have bought a throttle lock: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/skylock.php?clickkey=15187

I'm looking at what else I could easily do. Thoughts on the effectiveness of prop locks?
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/propLockChain.php

Is there anything I could easily do to disable it in other ways when parked up for a while, without going crazy. Maybe disconnect some spark plugs?

Drain the fuel? That might create bigger issues but at least you know it ain't going far...

I'm looking at the best way to protect the 182 when it's parked up in more unusual locations. So far, I have bought a throttle lock: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/skylock.php?clickkey=15187

I'm looking at what else I could easily do. Thoughts on the effectiveness of prop locks?

Is there anything I could easily do to disable it in other ways when parked up for a while, without going crazy. Maybe disconnect some spark plugs?

I take out all the radios, and no I'm not joking. Especially for more time than over night.

Just my opinion, but locks and such only will stop frank theft......I would prefer to make entry into the aircraft disadvantageous.
To that end, I think at least a canopy cover keeps snoopers a bit at bay.
I’ve also installed a motion detecting alarm in the baggage area that detects any entry into the cockpit and emits an ear splitting shriek.
These seem most likely to help in areas where there are folks somewhere in the area but parking area/ramp are unattended and easily entered ..... such as KCDK.
Unfortunately there ARE ne’r-do-wells amongst us.

I don't know anyone but I've seen your Alaska adventure thread. Could you give us an example of an "unusual" location in which you'd need to disable your airplane.

I don't know anyone but I've seen your Alaska adventure thread. Could you give us an example of an "unusual" location in which you'd need to disable your airplane.

Mexico, Thailand, India, Pakistan, Vietnam, Indonesia, Georgia (country not state) are all on the list for 2019, among others.

Mexico, Thailand, India, Pakistan, Vietnam, Indonesia, Georgia (country not state) are all on the list for 2019, among others.

Do your homework beforehand and avoid flying into areas that are more likely to leave you in the middle of nowhere with an in-airworthy airplane should you decide to leave it unattended. Other than that, I got nuthin.

That's kind of you to say so! I'm glad that people enjoy following what I post, and it definitely makes it more enjoyable to share it with everyone on here.

A robotic moving one of these...
upload_2018-12-31_8-31-53.jpeg

or better yet...

images

I bet most of those places will have folks that are willing to watch your plane for a small sum.
If there's a flying club in those areas, you may want to reach out to them and see what they recommend.

Big international airports shouldn't be a problem, or anything with an operating control tower, but for the remote ones I definitely understand your concern.

IMHO Prop Locks are better because they are visible from the ramp, meaning the thief knows at a quick glance that he/she (are there any female airplane thieves?) must spend some time exposed to full view to deal with this lock. It doesn't take very long to defeat the door locks and get inside.

-Skip

If it’s that sketchy of a area I’ll find somewhere else to fly into, or a secure hangar.

I would think that fuel and radios are more likely targets than aircraft. They’re easier to sneak away with, hide, and fence than a whole airplane. I would use a prop lock (which I think is harder to defeat than a throttle lock) as cheap insurance for the plane itself, but I would focus on the low-hanging fruit and come up with a way to secure radios and fuel. Locking gas caps prevent siphoning and most fuel drains are pretty slow, so I think the caps would be enough for my comfort. But the radios are a real challenge, and I’ll be watching this thread to learn from what you end up doing with those.

Take along a Rottweiler.

You might consider hiring a local or two to stand guard. In his book Motorcycle Touring, Greg Frazier mentions staying in a motel one night in Zimbabwe because they provided guards that would keep an eye on his bike. Around midnight he heard a shot. Apparently the guards had spotted someone who had climbed over the wall into the motel compound. They summarily dispatched him at point blank range. The guards commented, "It sends a message to others."

BTW, that's an excellent book that might provide you with some ideas. Frazier has ridden a motorcycle around the world several times, and has dealt with similar problems to those you'll be faced with. How to pack light, managing spare parts and fuel in odd locations, safety and security, safe food and potables, dealing with locals, etc., etc.

I would think that fuel and radios are more likely targets than aircraft. They’re easier to sneak away with, hide, and fence than a whole airplane. I would use a prop lock (which I think is harder to defeat than a throttle lock) as cheap insurance for the plane itself, but I would focus on the low-hanging fruit and come up with a way to secure radios and fuel. Locking gas caps prevent siphoning and most fuel drains are pretty slow, so I think the caps would be enough for my comfort. But the radios are a real challenge, and I’ll be watching this thread to learn from what you end up doing with those.

Fuel might be tough to protect. A thief needs little more than an ice pick and a can.

I'm looking at the best way to protect the 182 when it's parked up in more unusual locations.
Equipment theft or aircraft?

Aircraft:
1) Back when there was a rash of helicopter thefts along the GOM, we removed batteries or battery QD fittings on aircraft as needed. It was fairly quick and easy and few thieves brought a spare battery.
2) Work on an old crop duster once that had 2 P-leads coming from each mag. One lead went to the master switch and the other was about 12 inches long and terminated in an alligator clip. Guy said he left his planes parked everywhere and to prevent someone from going on a joy ride he'd un-stow the 2nd clip wire and ground the mag to the engine somewhere. Never saw it in action but he said it didn't matter what position the master was in, the engine wouldn't start until he un-clipped and re-stowed that 2nd wire.

Equipment (and aircraft):
1) Short of door locks and covers, when we worked overseas and needed to park an aircraft in remote towns or other unusual places, the first locals we sought out were those in authority like military, cops, mayor, etc. Granted we had helicopters which had more wow factor but outsiders on a trek count too. Usually a quick flight around town as an incentive would get us assistance especially if we showed concern of leaving the aircraft unattended. Normally, someones relative would be pressed into guard duty which got us through the night. $5-$10 USD went a long way toward covering the extra "security" costs per day but that was in the 90s. As a side note, at first the company bought a number of anti-theft protection devices but they were collectively heavy and we preferred to carry extra fuel vs theft protection.

I enjoy your travels. Brings back memories.

Take along a Rottweiler.

You might consider hiring a local or two to stand guard. In his book Motorcycle Touring, Greg Frazier mentions staying in a motel one night in Zimbabwe because they provided guards that would keep an eye on his bike. Around midnight he heard a shot. Apparently the guards had spotted someone who had climbed over the wall into the motel compound. They summarily dispatched him at point blank range. The guards commented, "It sends a message to others."

BTW, that's an excellent book that might provide you with some ideas. Frazier has ridden a motorcycle around the world several times, and has dealt with similar problems to those you'll be faced with. How to pack light, managing spare parts and fuel in odd locations, safety and security, safe food and potables, dealing with locals, etc., etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-T...=8-2&keywords=book+motorcycle+touring+frazier

Also might try
https://www.amazon.com/Down-Out-Pat...=8-1&keywords=book+motorcycle+touring+frazier

If it’s that sketchy of a area I’ll find somewhere else to fly into, or a secure hangar.
James makes a good point...for what you'd pay for all the locks, as well as the trouble of carrying/bringing them, you'd be better off just always paying for a hangar.

Shy of hauling all that stuff with you, not sure.

Putting metal plate in, once the subhumans get into the plane they’ll still probably take your radios but they’ll also end up smashing the whole inside of the plane up.

Kinda like rag top jeeps, leave a door unlocked and noting inside, because if they want to take your radio and you lock the door they’ll just cut your top open and take th stuff anyways.

In addition to any other suggestions...maybe an easily mountable / removable sign. Something like a biohazard. Use it in the jungly places. Definitely do not display it at any type of official airport :)

In addition to any other suggestions...maybe an easily mountable / removable sign. Something like a biohazard. Use it in the jungly places. Definitely do not display it at any type of official airport :)

Doubt the those types would care

Shy of hauling all that stuff with you, not sure.

Putting metal plate in, once the subhumans get into the plane they’ll still probably take your radios but they’ll also end up smashing the whole inside of the plane up.

Kinda like rag top jeeps, leave a door unlocked and noting inside, because if they want to take your radio and you lock the door they’ll just cut your top open and take th stuff anyways.

Bingo. I rarely locked my soft top wranglers, and I never left anything of value in them that wasn't locked in the center console. I'd rather them open the door and rummage around then cut the expensive-to-replace top.

I bought a radio lock bar for my 172 that is a combination control lock and radio stack cover. It's made from heavy gauge steel and has an integral key lock.

RadioLockBarLoRes_zpsbel4uwda.jpg
We had very similar things in CAP, only orange, and we re-named them the "Orange Idiotic Device". Heavy as hell, awkward to install, and secured with a padlock. It'll delay an unprepared thief, someone without a bolt cutter or hacksaw, for a while. I think the idea (or unintended consequence) was to make other aircraft on the same ramp more attractive targets.

I think you'll need multiple measures - something like this thing, a canopy cover, pay a local to stand guard, etc.

I used to live in Tbilisi, Georgia. Are you flying GA piston in there?

In Mozambique we paid a guy $50 to watch the 182 overnight so that our wheels were not transferred to local wheelbarrows. :)

2) Work on an old crop duster once that had 2 P-leads coming from each mag. One lead went to the master switch and the other was about 12 inches long and terminated in an alligator clip. Guy said he left his planes parked everywhere and to prevent someone from going on a joy ride he'd un-stow the 2nd clip wire and ground the mag to the engine somewhere. Never saw it in action but he said it didn't matter what position the master was in, the engine wouldn't start until he un-clipped and re-stowed that 2nd wire.

Not a half bad idea. Could even rig it up to a hidden kill switch somewhere, STC'ed I'm sure.

Whole aircraft are rarely stolen though, unless its something like a Cessna 210 with lots of room for "el cargo".

I've heard many talk about not locking their aircraft doors. Would rather have insurance buy them a new radio than total the airplane because of the airframe damage a thief might do trying to pry the door.

Around our airport, the worst I've ever heard of is people "borrowing" headsets and the like and forgetting to return them.

Back