Aircraft paint prices 2019-2020

n2230b

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
fast eddie
Delivered my Rockwell-Commander 112 TCA for new paint last week. Essentially two colors with 3 stripes, N numbers and a couple of logos,(including balancing of control surfaces) $16K. Would like to know how much paint shop rates are fo SE low wing two tone around the country.

Happy Holidays and thanks,

Ed

Straube's $13,500
Matthews Aviation $12,700

Delivered my Rockwell-Commander 112 TCA for new paint last week. Essentially two colors with 3 stripes, N numbers and a couple of logos,(including balancing of control surfaces) $16K. Would like to know how much paint shop rates are fo SE low wing two tone around the country.

Happy Holidays and thanks,

Ed
So with who did you drop the plane off?

my guy wanted $1,500 more to strip Imron...and another $2,000 for two tone paint.

Last edited:
I’m definitely looking the for painting recommendations for my 310. Houston area paint shops want over $30,000 and that’s just crazy.

I sent a quote request to Straube. Mathews is in NV and cost prohibitive for me at their price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The specific paint shop is irrelevant to my post.

It is if someone else wants to get their plane painted as well. Were you the kid in first grade that announced he had a secret and then said "I'm not telling!" with a stupid ass smile on his face?

Last edited:
I’m definitely looking the for painting recommendations for my 310. Houston area paint shops want over $30,000 and that’s just crazy.

I sent a quote request to Straube. Mathews is in NV and cost prohibitive for me at their price.

I’d recommend calling Joe (owner) at Hawk Aircraft Painting in Zephyrhills, FL. 813.623.5819 They are painting my 310 right now. He did Arlen’s 310 over at TTCF and it won an award at OSH last year/looks awesome.

He has been great to deal with, been painting planes for 30 years, comes highly recommended, has a nice shop at a good location and was very competitive with pricing.

I’ll post pictures of the process soon. If you end up talking with him, tell him Kevin said hi. Good luck wherever you choose.

It is if someone else wants to get their plane painted as well. Were you the kid in first grade that announced he had a secret and then said "I'm not telling!" with a stupid ass smile on his face?

Are you the dyslexic class moron? Try reading the post.

A friend at our airport just got his Dakota back from being painted. I believe his cost was about $2K more than your quote but I don't have a exact number. What I do know is.....holy crap....it looks amazing!!! The early pictures make it look like it just rolled off the production line...at 40yrs old!!! But walking up to it last weekend....WOW!!! His was done at Park Rapids, MN. I saw a Kodiak that was painted there...once again..friggin' amazing. If our old plane ever gets new paint its going up there.

Can wait to see radar contacts 310!!!

The guy I got my Bonanza from is no longer with us.... I wish I knew what he paid Poplawski to paint the plane. It is pretty fabulous, done in 2005 and it looks like it was painted yesterday. I am pretty sure they are not cheap.
Point of the story. If you want high quality I highly recommendBonanza M35...jpeg Bonanza M35 2.jpeg Bonanza M35 5.jpeg them!

Go to SchemeDesigners website for good people and shops. They're all not the cheapest. Was getting quotes in the NE for a 182 around $16-20.5k. Basic strip and paint with standard paint scheme.

Hangar neighbor just had his 206 re-painted. Think he said it was 13k.

Are you the dyslexic class moron? Try reading the post.

I did read the post. I failed to see a name mentioned, which would be nice to know since a quote I got earlier this year for a similar plane was $28k.

I suppose you can keep your secret, and giggle. I'm embarrassed and ashamed that I have to share a name with you. You make all of us look like retards.

And unlike you, I *WILL* share the name: Flying Colors.

I’d recommend calling Joe (owner) at Hawk Aircraft Painting in Zephyrhills, FL. 813.623.5819 They are painting my 310 right now. He did Arlen’s 310 over at TTCF and it won an award at OSH last year/looks awesome.

He has been great to deal with, been painting planes for 30 years, comes highly recommended, has a nice shop at a good location and was very competitive with pricing.

I’ll post pictures of the process soon. If you end up talking with him, tell him Kevin said hi. Good luck wherever you choose.

Thanks Kevin. I just sent in a request for a quote. Looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Straube quoted $35k for a 310. I thought Houston was crazy for $30k

How badly do you want to save money? Most posters don't seem to care that much but I would again paint my C-210 for between $3000 and $6000 depending on how much help I would hire. Metal aircraft painting is NOT especially difficult and stripping is often not
necessary. Scuff sanding old paint that is not peeling and painting over it is just fine. I know from experience.

When I DIY I always consider taxes. DIY work is tax free but earning income to pay someone is not. Start adding the MARGINAL tax rates: federal + state + FICA and you can get close to 50% for many people.

Last edited:
I'm around shiny airplanes all day, they spend big bucks to look new all the time. Not one of my coworkers has ever baulked at flying in affordable GA piston personal aircraft with 51 year old paint.

Interior is 51 years old in the 182, I suppose the headliner has been replaced and certainly the carpet has been. I'd say it looks newer than my 1998 chevy lumina..

$30K in New Braunfels Texas in 2015.
$5k of that was some small repairs
still looks new.

Tejas aviation Paint

I agree with your sentiments, but I feel like every state in the union has at least one GA paint shop called "Flying Colors" :D
Fair enough. This one is in Benton Harbor, MI. They do AMAZING work, and that quote did include more than just paint and strip.

The guy I got my Bonanza from is no longer with us.... I wish I knew what he paid Poplawski to paint the plane.
Wait Poplawski isn’t around anymore? I swear I heard someone say he was getting his A36 done there in the spring. Guess he’ll need to find someone else.

Wait Poplawski isn’t around anymore? I swear I heard someone say he was getting his A36 done there in the spring. Guess he’ll need to find someone else.

I did not say Poplawski isn't around.
I said the guy that owned the plane before me and had it painted is now dead.....

I did not say Poplawski isn't around.
I said the guy that owned the plane before me and had it painted is now dead.....
Wow I am an idiot. I totally misread that. My mistake. Guess that A36 is getting done in the spring. I’m based about 15 miles north of Ennis and every single example of his work I’ve seen has been top notch.

This discussion makes we wonder about forum posters. Are you guys all too old to try something new in life? The advantages of DIY painting are huge yet no one seems to even show interest. For example many will take on building an entire kit plane which is vastly more time consuming but a few weeks painting your own plane seems out of the question even though you could use your A&P and a local auto painter to help you. It s really not that difficult.

. It s really not that difficult.
Having been the A&P on a number of DIY paint jobs it usually has nothing to do with difficulty on the owner side. Rather it's the lack of facilities available to the owner to disassemble their aircraft. Quite a few public owned airports prohibit "heavy mx" in their "storage" hangars. So for most owners their only option is to fly it to a airport based paint shop.

Having been the A&P on a number of DIY paint jobs it usually has nothing to do with difficulty on the owner side. Rather it's the lack of facilities available to the owner to disassemble their aircraft. Quite a few public owned airports prohibit "heavy mx" in their "storage" hangars. So for most owners their only option is to fly it to a airport based paint shop.

Plus, a really good way to PO the hangar landlord is to paint inside of his hangar.

I guess it depends, I’ve seen some poor quality paint jobs...some by so called professionals. I expect them to do a better job than me.
First you have to properly strip the paint, which includes cleaning off the chemicals.
Second you have to paint in a dust free environment, that’s definitely not going to be my hangar.
My AP tried painting a new piece of sheet metal on the tail, after 2 tries he called in a friend who was a professional to do it.

It took me a lot longer (and more work) than I thought it would to just strip and paint my engine mount.
89ab5866141ac7f95071649ad4d4d1ce.jpg

Tom

Back