Air Wagner..... He’s baaaaackk.

With Jerry, it's just a matter of when.

I don't understand the fascination with this guy. He's just your average mediocre pilot dude who doesn't seem to be doing anything particularly exciting or egregious.

I watched a couple of his vids to see what the hype was about. Yawn.

Works for me copying and pasting (direct link is disabled). On his Youtube it's the newest South lake Tahoe June 27 video. Time mark is 22 minutes in.
Great CRM! The other person is flying the base-to-final turn (safest part of every flight) and he helps out with "I'm gon' dump the flaps, give it steep turn" as he throws the flap handle down. Even in the airlines, you won't get that kind of timely, unsolicited help from the other guy when you're busy trying to fly the airplane.

I don't understand the fascination with this guy. He's just your average mediocre pilot dude who doesn't seem to be doing anything particularly exciting or egregious.

His videos are generally too long for me to watch, but it's fun to get the curated highlight clips here. This guy is not an average mediocre pilot. He is an average mediocre YouTuber, for sure. But if you stick to the highlights, his flying is comically mediocre. He has somehow managed to amass a lot of hours in some really nice airplanes without ever leaving the high point early in the Dunning-Kruger curve (sometimes referred to as Mount Stupid).

We're all watching and waiting, with baited breath, for the inevitable ending.
The NTSB will have a half dozen GoPros to help with the investigation, but I don't think video footage normally gets uploaded to the public docket. Does anyone here know if the videos will be subject to a FOIA request?

The NTSB will have a half dozen GoPros to help with the investigation, but I don't think video footage normally gets uploaded to the public docket. Does anyone here know if the videos will be subject to a FOIA request?

In recent years, they have uploaded some of the videos. They are not directly in the docket, there is a link to a public server with the mp4 files.

Unfortunately, I expect that we will see how a 421 looks in snap-roll during base to final turn in 3 projections.

Last edited:
In recent years, they have uploaded some of the videos. They are not directly in the docket, there is a link to a public server with the mp4 files.

Unfortunately, I expect that we will see how a 421 looks in snap-roll during base to final turn in 3 projections.
And it ain't gonna to be pretty.

Probably the most infamous example of Jerry being himself was when he fell out the bottom of a cloud while on an ILS in an unusual attitude with a pegged VSI.

Having to shut down and push the plane around because he didn't want to wait for room to turn around was pretty funny.

One of the things he does that I don't like (not that matters one bit) is announcing himself as "Golden Eagle". Prior to him getting this plane, I had never heard of that. If someone had called that out before in the pattern, I would not know what I was looking for. I would think "Twin Cessna" would be better.

One of the things he does that I don't like (not that matters one bit) is announcing himself as "Golden Eagle". Prior to him getting this plane, I had never heard of that. If someone had called that out before in the pattern, I would not know what I was looking for. I would think "Twin Cessna" would be better.

But this is at least his third Twin Cessna, and he's gotta let you know that even if you had the same Twin Cessna as he did last week, he's better than you now!

A few months ago at klvk someone announced they were a golden eagle waiting to taxi. The controller asked what that was. He said it’s a Cessna. I laughed. The controller laughed. The pilot taxied.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Speaking of Jerry, he has a video this past week of an IFR flight from SNA to OAK, using the ANAHEIM1.LHS SID. It actually presents an excellent lesson about what can happen on a SID which includes airways - an instruction to go direct to a fix in the airway which is not loaded with the SID. No, he's not prepared for it, butI expect most piston pilots wouldn't be either unless they had come across it before.

(As usual, you have to go to YouTube to watch it)

Speaking of Jerry, he has a video this past week of an IFR flight from SNA to OAK, using the ANAHEIM1.LHS SID. It actually presents an excellent lesson about what can happen on a SID which includes airways - an instruction to go direct to a fix in the airway which is not loaded with the SID. No, he's not prepared for it, butI expect most piston pilots wouldn't be either unless they had come across it before.

(As usual, you have to go to YouTube to watch it)

I don't think you can really pick on him for this one. He's on a SID and the controller gave him a fix and an airway. Seeing the SID on the strip, the controller should have just given a vector to join, and it seems like he realized it and fixed it.

I don't think you can really pick on him for this one. He's on a SID and the controller gave him a fix and an airway. Seeing the SID on the strip, the controller should have just given a vector to join, and it seems like he realized it and fixed it.

Didn’t sound like midlife was blaming the Wags. He kinda mentioned it could confuse anyone not prepared for it.

And I didn't pick on him for it, if you read my post.

and the controller did give him a vector to join right after the fix. He wasn't particularly prepared for that either.

Seems the original video for this thread is actually not public now. I missed all the excitement.

Seems the original video for this thread is actually not public now. I missed all the excitement.
The video is still there, Jerry requires you to go to youtube to watch it. Just click the video in the post, then click the "watch this video on youtube" link it will bring you to the video on youtube.

The video is still there, Jerry requires you to go to youtube to watch it. Just click the video in the post, then click the "watch this video on youtube" link it will bring you to the video on youtube.

Nope...

Screenshot_20200703-104638_Firefox.jpg

Probably the most infamous example of Jerry being himself was when he fell out the bottom of a cloud while on an ILS in an unusual attitude with a pegged VSI.
That one I remember vividly. Made me nervous just watching.

7e7a38077a34ce6214908bdeba63eca7.jpg

I downloaded the most recent video of him flying VFR to IMC into smoke, stalling the plane, and getting 90* off heading, last night since I figured he would delete it, and can upload if anyone is interested. This reddit thread has some interesting commentary.

I flew the day after he did in the same area, and am a VFR pilot. I truly regret making that flight and feel stupid, awful and selfish for doing so. I though I was better than that. I've read many NTSB reports, taken semester long class on human factors at CC and thought "I'm not stupid like that pilot, I won't make that mistake". Well let me tell you, those pilots aren't stupid, they're human and humans make mistakes. I am too.

I made many mistakes deciding to begin/continue that flight. Lots of takeaways from Jerrys flight, but in my flight at least I can say I had Get-there-itis, normalization of deviance, poor ADM, not discontinuing and turning around, and a poor weather briefing. The only good decision I made that day was deciding not to fly the plane back home in those conditions. Also, FU is extremely deceptive and IMO poorly depicted (or understood on my part) on Metars, ceilings are not accurate, visibility is much worse than stated, and flying above it leaves you with no visible horizon and no ground reference.

If you have fires in your area, please do not fly VFR, and strongly consider not even flying IFR. I am taking a few weeks off flying to get my head back in a good place again. I was too concerned with my logbook and building hours, instead of being focused on the safety aspect of each flight. I am taking a different approach to my flying in the future, will be taking it slow and immediately begin my Instrument training. I will not be doing any long x-c trips out of the local area until I have proven to my self and my peers that this ADM on my part has improved.

Lastly, remember it can happen to you.

Last edited:
I downloaded the most recent video of him flying VFR to IMC into smoke, stalling the plane, and getting 90* off heading, last night since I figured he would delete it, and can upload if anyone is interested. This reddit thread has some interesting commentary.

I flew the day after he did in the same area, and am a VFR pilot. I truly regret making that flight and feel stupid, awful and selfish for doing so. I though I was better than that. I've read many NTSB reports, taken semester long class on human factors at CC and thought "I'm not stupid like that pilot, I won't make that mistake". Well let me tell you, those pilots aren't stupid, they're human and humans make mistakes. I am too.

I made many mistakes deciding to begin/continue that flight. Lots of takeaways from Jerrys flight, but in my flight at least I can say I had Get-there-itis, normalization of deviance, poor ADM, not discontinuing and turning around, and a poor weather briefing. The only good decision I made that day was deciding not to fly the plane back home in those conditions. Also, FU is extremely deceptive and IMO poorly depicted (or understood on my part) on Metars, ceilings are not accurate, visibility is much worse than stated, and flying above it leaves you with no visible horizon and no ground reference.

If you have fires in your area, please do not fly VFR, and strongly consider not even flying IFR. I am taking a few weeks off flying to get my head back in a good place again. I was too concerned with my logbook and building hours, instead of being focused on the safety aspect of each flight. I am taking a different approach to my flying in the future, will be taking it slow and immediately begin my Instrument training. I will not be doing any long x-c trips out of the local area until I have proven to my self and my peers that this ADM on my part has improved.

I'd be interested in watching it.

I flew the day after he did in the same area, and am a VFR pilot. I truly regret making that flight and feel awful and selfish for doing so.
I made many mistakes deciding to begin/continue that flight. Lots of takeaways from Jerrys flight, but in my flight at least I can say I had Get-there-itis, normalization of deviance, poor ADM, and a poor weather briefing. The only good decision I made that day was deciding not to fly the plane back home in those conditions. Also, FU is extremely deceptive and IMO poorly depicted (or understood on my part) on Metars, ceilings are not accurate, visibility is much worse than stated, and flying above it leaves you with no visible horizon and no ground reference.

If you're brave, you may want to write up your experience for one of the pilot magazines' "I'm glad this didn't kill me so I could learn from it" columns. Smoke is interesting stuff that most pilots don't get a lot of experience with. One of my first post-checkride cross-country flights was for a fly-in and we had haze from forest fires 1,000 miles away. Sometimes the visibility was marginal for VFR flight. This is an area where we aren't taught enough early on, probably because our CFIs don't have a lot of experience with it themselves.

I watched that vid-saw in reddit. - was great. Was IMC, 5000fpm climb. Then called up NorCal that he needed an approach. But didn’t ask for a pop up clearance. Planned on “dive bombing the airport”.
one of the better ones.

What I don’t get is why the FSDO isn’t talking to him.

A significant common thread amongst many of his videos are poor ADM and bad habits. A major “Task E FOI item” is students are always observing you, so do it safe and do it correctly. His videos are spreading this bad stuff to younglings who don’t know any different.

And I can envision his primary instructor distancing himself. “Jerry?? I don’t know any Jerry.”

What I don’t get is why the FSDO isn’t talking to him.

A significant common thread amongst many of his videos are poor ADM and bad habits. A major “Task E FOI item” is students are always observing you, so do it safe and do it correctly. His videos are spreading this bad stuff to younglings who don’t know any different.

And I can envision his primary instructor distancing himself. “Jerry?? I don’t know any Jerry.”
I'm sure that everyone who signs his flight reviews encourages him to keep the logbook in the plane at all times, ideally somewhere close to a fuel tank.

If you're brave, you may want to write up your experience for one of the pilot magazines' "I'm glad this didn't kill me so I could learn from it" columns. Smoke is interesting stuff that most pilots don't get a lot of experience with. One of my first post-checkride cross-country flights was for a fly-in and we had haze from forest fires 1,000 miles away. Sometimes the visibility was marginal for VFR flight. This is an area where we aren't taught enough early on, probably because our CFIs don't have a lot of experience with it themselves.

Will do.

Viz can go to pot very quickly in smoke. I had a flight across the state a number of years ago where I logged some actual due to lack of visibility in smoke. I was on an IFR plan anyway, but I hadn't planned on using the instruments at that point. Oh well, all's well that ends well. I needed that plan to get down through a layer of clouds on the west side anyway.

Back