After 30 years off, getting back into the air.

craig@craignet.com

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Craig Bowers
Well as I said, after 30 years out of the cockpit I want to get back up there. After all this time my logbooks are long gone along with all my other gear. Now, a few questions...

I was hoping to become a pro pilot but life got in the way. I have about 500 hours total. Lots of high performance and complex time. But no way to document it. What do I do?

Last time I flew there were TCAs and ARSAs and the like. Airspace classes is where you learned about those. What is the best book, software, or online site to review stuff and prepare for a BFR?

Thanks.

30 years, that's a lot of catching up to do, but welcome back!

Some basic information here, including some of what's changed over the years linked on the right side of the screen (though they only go back to 2000, I thought they used to go further):

http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/Getting-Back-into-Flying

Probably should just get with a CFI, and try to find one that will tailor some ground school and flight training to your situation. Definitely not a one-size-fits-all scenario.

Will undoubtedly take several flights to get the skills back. Maybe more than several.

As for the lost logbooks, do you have any copies of 8710-1 forms you filled out for your checkrides? That would be used to prove experience. Lots of other threads here on that topic - search for "lost logbook" or similar.

Meh....I was away +15 years....and it was a bit of a time warp, but, it's like riding a bike. The flying part will come back fast. I recommend getting the latest AIM and begin reading it cover to cover....and learn the airspace stuff. Maybe even doing a DVD refresher.

The two biggest changes for me were GPS equipment....and airspace rules.

Once you get your book work down....get with a CFI and do a BFR. In a few 4-10 hours you'll be back to where you left off.

Out 20+ took me seven hours to get signed off. My CFI did basically a supper fast mini private running through each step. The first few flights at least for me were tough so many things I had to think about that I just did by habit 20 years earlier. Then somewhere around lesson 3 it just clicked and progressed pretty quickly from there.

Can't say about the log books but if you are just flying for fun the hours shouldn't matter that much if you plan to pursue ratings there has to be a way I would think to reconstruct some of it. Someone here will know for sure.

Regarding reconstructing the pilot logs?.....I'd start with your ratings...there are minimums to obtain them and that's a baseline. Beyond that if you can "remember" trips....I'd record those. Old rental receipts? cancelled checks? charge card invoices? ...any other info to bring back memories?

Get your BFR CFI to sign you off in a Complex/Hi-prof aircraft....and that's done.

At a min....it shouldn't be all that hard to start of somewhere around 250-300 hrs.....especially if there are Comm and Instr ratings.

Welcome to the forum,I took off 23 years,flying the airplane was the easy part,stuff you had committed to memory came back easily. The new rules ,airspace,took some new learning. Once I came back I bought an aircraft and have had several since.Good luck .

Well as I said, after 30 years out of the cockpit I want to get back up there. After all this time my logbooks are long gone along with all my other gear. Now, a few questions...

I was hoping to become a pro pilot but life got in the way. I have about 500 hours total. Lots of high performance and complex time. But no way to document it. What do I do?

Last time I flew there were TCAs and ARSAs and the like. Airspace classes is where you learned about those. What is the best book, software, or online site to review stuff and prepare for a BFR?

Thanks.
You joined POA in 2009 and just made your first post? That has to be a record, right? Is there a plaque for that? There should be, not sure what you'd call it.

Good luck getting current!

I started last year after 20 years off... the company I work for sponsored a ground school, so went through that, and went flying with a CFI... first 20 minuets were not good, everything was just off... then like a light switching back on everything came back and I was into it again... 3 hours and my BFR was signed off, another 4 hours in 2 different light sport aircraft ( was not going to get a medical) and I went for a medical.. 3 more hours with the CFI and I went to pick up my new plane... so my first solo flight in 20+ years was also my first cross country flight in the same said 20 years, 600 miles over 2 days and I has home. Great flight. The next day left for a 300 mile x-country out and back the same day... All tons of fun.

I still need to learn the airspace better, need to get with the CFI and go fly in So Cal and learn the ropes around here but well worth it...

Haven't flown in 10 years May 2. Went to an AOPA sponsored Rusty Pilot's seminar at KLZU a couple of month ago that counted as the ground portion of a flight review. Getting close to getting back in the air. Thanks for the thread.

The FAA publications like the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge and Airplane Flying Handbook are available for free online. Take a look a the airspace stuff and some applicable 91 regulations. Welcome back!

Not to state that hours are useless, but if you've gotten advanced ratings, what benefit do you get from recording old hours? I guess insurance and the 250 rule, but if you have a commercial or ATP rating then you had to have a certain minimum time before now.

Did you have to report hours on your medical 30 years ago? That will get you a starting number that is can be verified through documentation.

Haven't flown in 10 years May 2. Went to an AOPA sponsored Rusty Pilot's seminar at KLZU a couple of month ago that counted as the ground portion of a flight review....
No kidding?? That seems a bit liberal. I mean, I would think an instructor is still going to give a bit of ground regardless of that seminar thingy. I certainly know I wouldn't give that any attention if I were the CFI signing you off.

Well as I said, after 30 years out of the cockpit I want to get back up there.

30 years out of the cockpit and back in is impressive. Let me catch you up,
  • These days they have something called "electricity", it's magical. It will make the gauges do wonderful things. Many instruments use it.
  • High performance these days is most commonly anything over 200 horsepower. What's a horse you might ask? Well..it's a domesticated animal often used for labor, don't worry about the specifics, needless to say it's more than 200 of them.
  • "Complex" today is basically a plane that has flaps, a controllable pitch propeller and retractable landing gear (yeah I know, crazy, the gear actually comes UP now, no longer fixed!)
  • Most planes are no longer made of wood and fabric, though you will find some out there that have made it through the years.
  • Lastly (and this is a great one), you no longer need your neighbor's permission to fly over their house at a safe altitude. Airspace rules have changed a bit.
Again, welcome back!

No kidding?? That seems a bit liberal. I mean, I would think an instructor is still going to give a bit of ground regardless of that seminar thingy. I certainly know I wouldn't give that any attention if I were the CFI signing you off.

I did my Flight Review last year and had a certificate for the AOPA review course I did and the CFI checking me out accepted it. Went up & did some maneuvers and 4-5 landings and I was good to go.

Read: 14 CFR 61.56(e) and AC61-91J.

Back