AFM Limitations and Supplements

Martin Pauly

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Martin Pauly
I sometimes see people struggling with understanding the significance of POH & AFM limitations, and the role of the various AFM supplements we carry around in our airplanes (and which some of us have even read :D). I thought a little video on the topic could help shed some light on it.

Nice. This made me pull mine out for a re-read of the limitations sections. I found some sections I didn’t pay much attention to the last time I reviewed them, which was prior to starting work on my instrument rating. Those are now relevant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a great video Martin. I always thought the entire POH carried the same weight as the limitations section. You made me pull out my POH and go through it again. I also finally updated my checklists, which I've been meaning to do for some time.

I just want to point out that the Limitations section being the only FAA-Approved section applies only to “low speed” “Level 1 and Level 2” Part 23 airplanes. While this applies to most of the target audience here, the Law of Primacy might kick in when someone gets into a bigger or faster airplane. ;)

Edit: a 7-seat PA-32, for example, takes you into Level 3.

Last edited:
Edit: a 7-seat PA-32, for example, takes you into Level 3.
Interesting. Guess I have some more learning to do. Does this apply to my old CAR-3 certified plane?

While we're at it, I'm getting checked out in a 1974 Cessna 172M, and it's my first exposure to an "Owner's Manual" not laid out in the standard POH style. In this one, "limitations" are section IV. I assume that section was FAA approved? When did the FAA begin approving aircraft limitations?

Interesting. Guess I have some more learning to do.

While we're at it, I'm getting checked out in a 1974 Cessna 172M, and it's my first exposure to an "Owner's Manual" not laid out in the standard POH style. In this one, "limitations" are section IV. I assume that section was FAA approved? When did the FAA begin approving aircraft limitations?
That’s probably going to be a CAR3 reference rather than Part 23…I’m not that good at searching CAR3.

Also, I’m going to backtrack on the PA-32…that’s probably a CAR3 airplane as well.

The aircraft may be certified under CAR 3....but all those new dew dads installed with STC ##### have something called the "change product rule". So, each new item that gets "added" to the TC with an STC has all the new stuff applied to it.

In this one, "limitations" are section IV. I assume that section was FAA approved? When did the FAA begin approving aircraft limitations?
No. It wasn't until 1979 that the AFM/RFM became regulatory that the AFM Limitations section became approved. Prior to that the ops limits were listed and "approved" in the TCDS/Aircraft Specification. As to "aircraft limitations approval" those have always been approved as part of a TC, ATC, or STC. Where those limitations were listed changed from the TCDS or Aircraft Specification to the AFM/RFM in 1979 but were always out there and required.

The level 3 thing actually answers (I think) a question I always had about why basic med is limited to 6 seats.

my first exposure to an "Owner's Manual" not laid out in the standard POH style.
When I did my Aztec checkout (1967 C model) it was basically a pamphlet. That was my first experience

Back