Affluenza defense

What kind of business does the dad have?

Frim Wiki:

"Five civil lawsuits were filed by families of the four victims and two of the passengers between September and November 2013, against Couch, his family, and Cleburne Metal Works (doing business as Cleburne Sheet Metal, as the truck's registered owner)."

Frim Wiki:

"Five civil lawsuits were filed by families of the four victims and two of the passengers between September and November 2013, against Couch, his family, and Cleburne Metal Works (doing business as Cleburne Sheet Metal, as the truck's registered owner)."

Thanks

The dads business insurer footed most of the bills for the judgements as the kid drove a company truck. Insurance doesn't pay for the violation of probation process and the criminal charges the mother may be facing. For the county, this is just another criminal case litigated by employees of the district attorneys office. I dont see how expenses are going to be an issue.
Some criminal case litigated by district attorneys office cost more than others. The O.J. Simpson trial, by the numbers. Number of attorneys who have presented evidence in court: Defense 11; prosecution 9. Cost: estimated $9 million for Los Angeles County, includes costs for court and prosecution. That was 20 years ago, what do you think it would cost now. If you do not think the local district attorney is thinking how much this case is going to cost think again.

The cost to get this kid back is only going to get higher and higher. The ruling by the Mexican court could lead to a weeks-long legal process if a judge decides the younger Couch has grounds to challenge his deportation based on arguments that kicking him out of the country would violate his rights. They the Mexican court know how much we want him and if we want him we will have to pay and pay.

Did ya'll see that the mother is being detained in LA?

to which I say: good, lock up the ...

Hold the welcome wagon, might be a wile till we see ethan.:popcorn:

Even better...he's fighting extradition.

Some time in a Mexican jail waiting will do him some good.

Even better...he's fighting extradition.

Some time in a Mexican jail waiting will do him some good.

With any luck, they will find him dead in his cell with 6 bullets in his head....

"Mexican Authorities ruled it the worst suicide they have ever seen";).....:D:D

As I understand it, extradition brought her back to the US, the federal district responsible for pursuing it. Now she faces a state's extradition to Texas.
As to jr, he should have been in jail. Getting what amounts as a pass just isn't right. Maybe a couple of weeks in a Mexican jail will help.

Unfortunately, while this case caught the nation’s attention, it’s far from rare. Every day, MADD supports victims who all too often don’t find justice in a justice system set up to protect defendants, not victims.

This kid is a unique and special level of douchebag so I'm not really feeling all that sorry for him but...

It doesn't really make any difference to me whether or not he goes to jail or pays any fines or not. None of that brings back the people who died. No amount of punishment you can bring down on the kid... or anything else you do for that matter makes this better. Anyone who has lost someone close to them should know... that person is just gone and the pain is real and nothing makes it better. You just get over it with time.

I am however, most interested in things that would prevent more people from being killed in incidents like this. I wish we looked at more things like we did air crashes- make the focus on what happened, why it happened, and then dig deeper into the causes of why it happened. Then, we shape our rules, our procedures, and our technology around preventing the next one. The most promising thing I know of right now is self-driving cars.... I've got zero faith all the penalties and PSAs in the world are ever going to turn humans into better people so at least when they're drunk and get in a car we can just have them push a button and let the computer take them safely home.

I don't think the original case would have gotten national attention if they hadn't tried to use that defense. I'm not sure that he would have gotten a harsher sentence anyway, because he was a juvenile, and AFAIK, it was an accident, not intentional. Sure he was drinking underage, and driving, but that is not uncommon. But now, since he violated probation and left the country, I think they should throw the book at him and especially his mother.

I don't think the original case would have gotten national attention if they hadn't tried to use that defense. I'm not sure that he would have gotten a harsher sentence anyway, because he was a juvenile, and AFAIK, it was an accident, not intentional. Sure he was drinking underage, and driving, but that is not uncommon. But now, since he violated probation and left the country, I think they should throw the book at him and especially his mother.

It's not an "accident" when you have 3x the limit of alcohol in your system and you kill 4 innocent people and injure more. It's an accident when you hit a patch of ice while traveling within the speed limit and lose control of your car.

It's not an "accident" when you have 3x the limit of alcohol in your system and you kill 4 innocent people and injure more. It's an accident when you hit a patch of ice while traveling within the speed limit and lose control of your car.

Yup.....

But...
Bleeding heart liberals will call it an "accident" so the kid doesn't get his feelings hurt...:mad2::mad2:

I'd like a show of hands of people who drank and drove underage, especially those who are on the older side.

Gee, murder is not uncommon in Chicago. Would you suggest people convicted of murder be given probation?

Gee, murder is not uncommon in Chicago. Would you suggest people convicted of murder be given probation?
What kind of stupid analogy is that? I'm pretty sure there are many people here living in a glass house as far as underage drinking and driving is concerned.

I'd like a show of hands of people who drank and drove underage, especially those who are on the older side.

How about a show of hands of the people who lost relatives because of underage drinkers...

How about a show of hand of the people who weren't stupid enough to drink and drive underage...

"accident" my ---.

I NEVER drove underage....:no::no::no:..

I did drink a little bit while a teen, but NEVER to excess... My parents taught me to be RESPONSIBLE.......

Apparently, being responsible went out of fad years ago...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

...Only those who had been drinking :rolleyes:

I can honestly say I've never in my life driven drunk.

I might have raced my friend on a public road in cars never meant to be raced at speeds in excess of 100mph... but there was no crash and the current societal taboo is on alcohol so I'm a better person than those who did get into crashes and deserve all sorts of horrific inhumane punishments.... at least when it comes to typical public perception.

What kind of stupid analogy is that? I'm pretty sure there are many people here living in a glass house as far as underage drinking and driving is concerned.
One you, apparently, can't articulate cogent response to; so you call it stupid.

One you, apparently, can't articulate cogent response to; so you call it stupid.
I can tell the difference between something that is premeditated (murder) and something that is not. I also think there are many people in glass houses who are throwing stones.

I can tell the difference between something that is premeditated (murder) and something that is not. I also think there are many people in glass houses who are throwing stones.

So.... You take some pain meds from a medical condition,, load 10 humans into the back of the biz jet you fly and proceed to hit at mountain at 600mph and turn your passengers into small chunks of flesh....

Accident ???

Or downright manslaughter?

So.... You take some pain meds from a medical condition,, load 10 humans into the back of the biz jet you fly and proceed to hit at mountain at 600mph and turn your passengers into small chunks of flesh....

Accident ???

Or downright manslaughter?
I am not a minor.

Plus the previous poster was talking about murder. I doubt what you described would be murder, even if I survived.

Last edited:
I am not a minor.

Plus the previous poster was talking about murder. I doubt what you described would be murder, even if I survived.

I am NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer... BUT....

I am 100% sure if you hit a mountain at 600mph... You would NOT survive...

Even if you were encased in a liberal approved , bubble wrap cocoon enclosure...:rolleyes:.....:D

Great debate though.....:)

Ps....

And I am going to get banned in 5...4...3..2..1....:cheers:

Last summer we had a state trooper killed in what was truly an accident. The state wants to press murder charges against the other driver.

Throw the book at him and let some irresponsible rich kid get off on probation after killing four when he was drunk? I detect something wrong here.

I am NOT the sharpest knife in the drawer... BUT....

I am 100% sure if you hit a mountain at 600mph... You would NOT survive...

Even if you were encased in a liberal approved , bubble wrap cocoon enclosure...:rolleyes:.....:D

Great debate though.....:)

Ps....

And I am going to get banned in 5...4...3..2..1....:cheers:
I'm pretty sure if I didn't survive that no one would be bringing charges. Suing my estate, maybe, but I'll be dead and won't know. ;)

Wasn't the kid 16 at that time? Most 16 year olds know right from wrong at that age. The kid and his folks are just twits.

Never did it. Knew death would be easier than whatever my parents would dish out if I were ever that stupid.

We have alcoholics in the family. We don't tolerate them driving. Ever. You can drink yourself to death, we won't stop you, but don't kill anyone else doing it.

Drove home in what I would now consider drunk and then considered buzzed, once, in my 20s.

Scared the hell out of me. Could tell I was quite impaired. Had a bad case of "get home-itis".

I still have beer in my fridge that was in the cooler at Oshkosh last summer. Seriously. I'll happily drink, even heavily, with friends in a safe location, but have almost zero interest in drinking much at home. I'll have a beer with dinner out. Maybe. Most of the time it's a Diet Coke or Coke Zero. I enjoy a Scotch once in a while or a beer but it's exceedingly rare.

But drinking and driving is just something that's always been easily avoidable. There's always somebody sober at any party who will happily give a ride somewhere or there's a couch or floor with my name on it. Jackets make for a fine pillow. I'm not picky about sleeping location when drunk if there's no way to safely transport people home.

If friends come over and drink we ALWAYS have a guest room ready and we'll happily open up the RV or set up multiple sleeping bags in various rooms for anyone who shouldn't be driving home. We'll even make breakfast and find ya sundries and whatever you need for morning cleanup, lend clothes, we don't care. We just don't want anyone on the road drunk. Ever.

The solution is more neighborhood pubs. One for each neighborhood. That way, there would be no need to drink and drive. Yeah, I know you can drink at home but it ain't the same. Of course, they would need a pole and a mud pit.

The solution is more neighborhood pubs. One for each neighborhood. That way, there would be no need to drink and drive. Yeah, I know you can drink at home but it ain't the same. Of course, they would need a pole and a mud pit.

Growing up in a Polish neighborhood in Chicago, there was a tavern on every other block.

Back