Advice for pursuing helicopter PPL?

Redpen

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Redpen
Hi folks, Im ready to start actively pursuing my PPL (H) and Im desperate for any help I can get, particularly with choosing a school in the NoVa region. I've been studying rotorwing physics on my own for several years, and I hope to go towards a CPL(H). My limiting factor is cost, I have enough to most likely cover the private but nothing beyond that. Frankly Im concerned that Ill end up licensed, broke, and out of options. The army isnt an option unfortunately due to food allergies (but I can still obtain my air medical cert).

With that said, is there any steps I should take going into this to get started, and are there any schools that offer a program to train their own CFIs, or something similar?

My current plan is to charge hamfistedly into a random flight school throwing money at them and hopefully making some connections :D

Thank you immensely for your time.

With that said, is there any steps I should take going into this to get started, and are there any schools that offer a program to train their own CFIs, or something similar?

Proceed with extreme caution. I am still paying off the debt from the Silver State Helicopters pyramid scheme. Somehow I was one of the many who did not "qualify" for total debt forgiveness. I ended up with zero certificates while the shysters collected $4M+ to work out a "fair" agreement.

:mad:

Do you want to progress and have this as your job or just as a hobby?

Understand the Army already said no to you (I assume you asked).

If you showed up to the coast guard with your private in hand, would they take you so you'd build hours that way?

I ended up with zero certificates while the shysters collected $4M+ to work out a "fair" agreement.

That's absolutely insane. Another reason Im so paranoid about this. Sorry to hear they got you.

Do you want to progress and have this as your job or just as a hobby?

Understand the Army already said no to you (I assume you asked).

If you showed up to the coast guard with your private in hand, would they take you so you'd build hours that way?

I definitely want to make a career out of it, but im definitely scared of being XXk USD into it and having it become a forced hobby that I cant afford. Approaching the CG with a license sounds great, but to my understanding for me to enlist in any branch would require blatantly lying on the contract and possibly the medicals, which ive heard of going horribly wrong down the road

Yes. Don’t lie on the military medical. Would be hard to explain getting a Purple Heart because you ate a peanut

I was hoping the coast guard would still except a food allergy. (Unless it is to salt water. That could be a problem).

Thanks, was worth a look. I just got cited from the medical manual (for evaluation I assume) that any history of anaphalylaxis is an automatic DQ there aswell.

lol @ the peanut

I was hoping the coast guard would still except a food allergy. (Unless it is to salt water. That could be a problem).

Only if it is deeper than 6'.

:goofy:

Thanks, was worth a look. I just got cited from the medical manual (for evaluation I assume) that any history of anaphalylaxis is an automatic DQ there aswell.

In that case..... would that preclude a 1st class medical? I honestly don't know. But check it out and make sure you can get a 1st class before you move forward on this.

Proceed with extreme caution. I am still paying off the debt from the Silver State Helicopters pyramid scheme. Somehow I was one of the many who did not "qualify" for total debt forgiveness. I ended up with zero certificates while the shysters collected $4M+ to work out a "fair" agreement.

Wow. Just wow. Never heard of that until now and just spent 15 min reading about that mess. That sucks. What a sham. What ever happened to their founder and ceo??

Wow. Just wow. Never heard of that until now and just spent 15 min reading about that mess. That sucks. What a sham. What ever happened to their founder and ceo??

Jerry has probably moved on to bigger and better scams by now.

Im ready to start actively pursuing my PPL (H)
Not a pilot, but do you already have your fixed wing PPL? Have seen a number of people start with fixed wing side then go the helicopter add on route. Less requirements and usually cheaper than starting out green on the helicopter side.

Last edited:
advice : get friendly with your checkbook

Hi folks, Im ready to start actively pursuing my PPL (H) and Im desperate for any help I can get, particularly with choosing a school in the NoVa region. I've been studying rotorwing physics on my own for several years, and I hope to go towards a CPL(H). My limiting factor is cost, I have enough to most likely cover the private but nothing beyond that. Frankly Im concerned that Ill end up licensed, broke, and out of options. The army isnt an option unfortunately due to food allergies (but I can still obtain my air medical cert).

My current plan is to charge hamfistedly into a random flight school throwing money at them and hopefully making some connections :D

Thank you immensely for your time.

Welcome to PoA and aviation.

I would hate to discourage anyone from pursuing aviation, but a lot has changed since I started flying over 40 years ago.

The biggest problem with helicopters is the cost. One of the most expensive, and most worthless certificates you can get, is the Helicopter, Private Pilot! Don't do it unless you're determined to work through to the very end, which should be minimally, Private, Instrument and commercial.

Once you have achieved all that, you've spent 10s of thousand of dollars and now you're approaching 150 hours or so. No one will hire you.

So now you need to get your CFI, and possibly even CFII. More money, and more time. Now you're approaching 200 hours. No one will hire you so you have to give flight instruction for a while.

If you haven't already figured it out, then around this time you realize that you probably want to fly turbines. That's where the money is. You'll need ballpark 1000 hours to get that first turbine job and If you don't have minimally 500 hours, it's going to be very difficult finding even the most menial helicopter job. So plan on at least a couple years, maybe even more, of giving flight instruction until you reach that magic number.

Once you get that first turbine job, depending on where it is and what you do, you might be able to get a utility job the next year or two.

My advice to you, and this is assuming you're not wealthy with money to blow... is to first and foremost, make sure this is something you want to spend a huge chunk of your life doing. Otherwise it's just a waste of a lot of money.

If it is what you want, try to get as much money as you can, and fly as often as you can. The more you fly and learn, the less money it's going to cost you because you will move through the process more quickly.

Don't worry about any of the exams right now, just start flying and begin studying. As you get closer (within 2 -4 weeks) of your checkride, take the practical exams. This way everything will be fresh in your mind and make your checkride that much easier. Do this with every rating.

Flying helicopters is not like flying airplanes. If you want to fly where the money is, you will spends weeks and months away from home. It is not the job for a family man/woman. It is the life of a nomad. Very exciting, very rewarding but very demanding and little family life.

Sure, there are some jobs with schedules, like med-evac, gulf, etc... but if you really love helicopters, and what you can do with them, you will never be happy in a job like that.

When you do all this and have around 500-1000 hours, shoot me a msg and I'll give you some good leads to begin your career.

Oh, and plan on spending a few seasons in Alaska.

Last edited:
I started out with a ppl in rotorcraft and transitioned to fixed wing later. I wished I had reversed it & did the sel first because I would have saved a lot of $$.

Since you hope to go on to cpl (rotorcraft), you can save $ by getting your SEL first. A lot of the required hours for commercial helicopter rating can be flown in a sel for much less money. ie: (a) 100 hours in powered aircraft, of which 50 hours must be in helicopters, (b)100 hours of pilot-in-command flight time, which includes at least –– 35 hours in helicopters, (c)10 hours of instrument training in an aircraft.

You can see where the sel hours can be applied to your cpl-helo.

Another thing to consider: I have seen this in many pilots, myself included: Helo pilots tend to be very smooth fixed wing pilots, and fixed wing pilots transitioning to helo tend to be less smooth due to over correcting the controls. This is because of gyroscopic precession & the lag time in helo control inputs.

Have you looked into scholarships? AOPA, EAA, Lightspeed, and im sure others sponsor students. I don't know specifics, but I believe they are focused on career track pilots. Might have to start ASEL, but it sounds like that might be an easier path anyway.

I just looked at the cost of renting a heli vs a fixed wing. Wow ...... And my quick look seemed to also bring up a point that availability is going to be tight as well. Just aren't a lot out there, and not a lot of places renting.

Double and triple check on the military requirements. Does Canada have a military you could get hours in, assuming they might not care about needing an epi pen?

Back when I was hanging around the local 141 school, the observation was that if your goal was Commercial--Helicopter, then it costs the same to get your ratings in ASEL and then add the helicopter compared to going ab initio in helicopters. The upside is you have a useable airplane license. The downside, is that you have fewer helicopter hours when you get done.

Sure it can be done but..... Obtaining your CPL helicopter rating is a finance killer without doing it through the military. Beginner helicopter jobs pay even less than fixed wing ones and there are fewer of them. Granted there are fewer qualified pilots too. Then you have the hurdle of getting turbine time.

I would love to get my helicopter rating but can't help but feel it's flushing money down the toilet. I could never afford a helicopter of my own short of a maybe an experimental one and ALL of those seem to be junk as the hours build. The only exception is the Mosquito, Hellicycle, and Safari. The Hellicycle and Safari will set you back as much as an R22 though so I would just get the R22. The Mosquito is the only truly affordable one and for it's intended purpose you don't need a rating though it would be wise.

... I could never afford a helicopter of my own short of a maybe an experimental one and ALL of those seem to be junk as the hours build. The only exception is the Mosquito, Hellicycle, and Safari. The Hellicycle and Safari will set you back as much as an R22 though so I would just get the R22. The Mosquito is the only truly affordable one and for it's intended purpose you don't need a rating though it would be wise.

What about a Rotorway? I've thought about them since I was a kid and all they offered was the Skorpian. I see Exec90s on EBay every so often for not too much $$. Their current offering is a bit pricey for me but a lot less than a low time R22.

When I was going through A&P training after retiring from the USAF, Silver State Helicopters was recruiting mechanics and sent someone to the community college I was attending to pitch signing on. I knew then they were lying sacks of excrement based on the bs they were peddling. I feel bad for the many youngsters they bilked out of their savings so that their CEO could live the good life and cash out.

What about a Rotorway? I've thought about them since I was a kid and all they offered was the Skorpian. I see Exec90s on EBay every so often for not too much $$.

I think it is difficult to find any cfi willing to give primary flight instruction in an exec 90.

What about a Rotorway? I've thought about them since I was a kid and all they offered was the Skorpian. I see Exec90s on EBay every so often for not too much $$. Their current offering is a bit pricey for me but a lot less than a low time R22.

When I was going through A&P training after retiring from the USAF, Silver State Helicopters was recruiting mechanics and sent someone to the community college I was attending to pitch signing on. I knew then they were lying sacks of excrement based on the bs they were peddling. I feel bad for the many youngsters they bilked out of their savings so that their CEO could live the good life and cash out.
There have been so many changes to the exec over the years it’s difficult to know which are good and which are troublesome. I looked into them and seems some hated them and a few had success.

There’s a reason those rotorways sell so cheap. Ever notice you rarely see one for sale with any significant time on the airframe?

My favorite rotorway saying “Never hover any higher than you are willing to fall”. :eek:

Helicopters are amazing! I earned all of my rotorcraft helicopter ratings up through Instrument Helicopter (commercial) and rotorcraft helicopter flight instructor, so I went all the way. Then I taught in them for awhile. Then I started getting the turbine helo opportunities. This was alongside a fixed wing aviation path which I'm still on today.

I left the rotor world after 700 hours to focus on fixed wing aviation full time. It's challenging to find helicopter jobs which pay on a scale similar to even low end fixed wing jobs, and many of the jobs are in locations which some (like me) may find unappealing. The jobs tend to top out at a much lower pay scale than where fixed wing aviation can take you. And the lifestyle is often nomadic; job security is minimal.

I gained a great deal from my time in helicopters, including an understanding that flying fixed wing aircraft was the correct path for me. The skills I learned made me a better pilot, and I loved every hour I flew with a cyclic in one hand and a collective in the other.

If you really want to fly helicopters, may I suggest the (possibly heretical) path of a fixed wing flying career so that you may enjoy flying helicopters as a hobby? Serious suggestion... not a joke!

Whatever for the love of god you do, don't pre-pay for any substantial portion of your training !

A few years ago, we had someone here who sold a 'package' of R22 instruction hours from one of the NoVa schools after he couldn't get a medical. I checked with the school and they had no problem transferring the balance onto another students account. The price he was asking was a substantial discount and would have made getting the add-on a reasonable financial proposition. But then sanity prevailed, keeping the PPL-H current would have been a constant struggle requiring ungodly amounts of rental fees. Unless you can buy a helicopter, there is really no point to getting the rating.

An acquaintance of mine is a heli instructor and said 'he would train me', the caveat is that he has never flown anything smaller than a jet-ranger and isn't planning to get into piston helicopters now.

Back