Ads-b what's the best bang for the buck?

Which EFB will you be using?

What types of aircraft do you fly and are you VFR-only or IR? Lots of big city or mostly remote and non-towered?

Garmin GDL-84 would be my vote. Compliant position source, dual band ADS-B receivers, ADS-B out, and provides ADS-B in wirelessly to an iPad running Garmin Pilot.

About $3600, my shop quoted me about $5000-5500 installed.

I'm VFR only in my Cherokee fly to towered and non towered. I thought if I could get a "plug in" to use with my iPad with Foreflight for a while is do it until it's made mandatory

Raspbery Pi for $115.

Just got mine from Amazon today....

At this point I'm liking the Navworx 600BG. Tso'd WAAS position source, and TransMon cable dongle simplifies installation. WiFi out. Plus, it'll display traffic on my MX20. Only UAT, but I'm not going above 18k or out of the country the price is not bad for a certified box.

Right now my Dual xgps170 with Avare is working great, but I'm getting kind of used to having traffic. Would like it to me more reliable than when I'm in someone else's "puck".

Last edited:
I'm VFR only in my Cherokee fly to towered and non towered. I thought if I could get a "plug in" to use with my iPad with Foreflight for a while is do it until it's made mandatory

OK so if you're not asking about installed ADS-B in/out boxes and more of "which one to use with FF" that narrows us right down.

So as far as plug-ins with FF on an iPad, we're limited to a few options and all of them start with "Stratus". Take a look on Sporty's at the various Stratus models offered and you can decide which features you value enough to pay for.

If you haven't yet committed to ForeFlight, just know that WingX is more of an open platform that is compatible with a pretty wide array of ADS-B receivers/AHRS/even ADAHRS.

Personally, I use FF with the Stratus 2 because I fly IFR and I have ADS-B out and I need the traffic display, plus I like having the AHRS as an nth degree backup.

Personally, I use FF with the Stratus 2 because I fly IFR and I have ADS-B out and I need the traffic display, plus I like having the AHRS as an nth degree backup.
just so ya know.....there are boxes that do that for WingX too...and I too fly IFR with WingX. :yes::D

Ok guys what's the best bang for the buck for a receiver in conjunction with an iPad?

Reminder that if you wanting the ADS-B IN traffic picture with either a portable or panel mounted solution you need to be ASD-B OUT compliant as well to get that traffic packet sent out to you.

Reminder that if you wanting the ADS-B IN traffic picture with either a portable or panel mounted solution you need to be ASD-B OUT compliant as well to get that traffic packet sent out to you.
unless.....you happen to be close enough to get it from someone else. :D

.....and I find that to be suitable in high traffic areas. :yes:

Last edited:
unless.....you happen to be close enough to get it from someone else. :D

.....and I find that to be suitable in high traffic areas. :yes:

That is almost more dangerous that not having it all as you are NOT getting a complete picture for your location and may not get the aircraft that is right on top of you. ADS-B sends out a "hockey puck" of traffic around your aircraft with you in the middle. You have no idea where the other aircraft's hockey puck of information that you are seeing ends and where the next one begins.

Although you may pick up pings from other ADS-B out, it is a VERY unreliable picture for your specific location.

Yes, it is always see and avoid but it can also lead to a very false sense of security.

Last edited:
That is almost more dangerous that not having it all as you are NOT getting a complete picture for your location and may not get the aircraft that is right on top of you. ADS-B sends out a "hockey puck" of traffic around your aircraft with you in the middle. You have no idea where the other aircraft's hockey puck of information that you are seeing ends and where the next one begins.

Although you may pick up pings from other ADS-B out, it is a VERY unreliable picture for your specific location.

Yes, it is always see and avoid but it can also lead to a very false sense of security.
Yup....call me dangerous. :yikes::goofy::nono:

It ain't all that hard to tell when it's hot....and not. Even I got that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It ain't all that hard to tell when it's hot....and not.

That's what you are not understanding...it is IMPOSSIBLE to tell when it is "hot or not". You could be right on the edge of the ring of someone else's packet of information and mis the plane that is at your three o'clock that is not on your screen while looking for the plane at your nine o'clock that IS on your screen because the information you are seeing was not intended for your plane.

I flew for quite a while without ADS-B out through the LA basin which is some of the busiest airspace anywhere and the traffic picture was pretty much useless to rely on as a situational awareness tool.

Is ADS-B necessary to get any traffic on screen?...nope, but want to make sure for those that are looking into the technology for traffic awareness understand what it takes to be a useful tool. I am not advocating upgrade to out or nothing...but know what you are looking at and its limitations without it.

am I also suppose to stop looking too? :rofl:...I guess you don't know what my screen looks like....with traffic and without?

That's about the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.....:nono::goofy:
That's what you are not understanding...it is IMPOSSIBLE to tell when it is "hot or not". You could be right on the edge of the ring of someone else's packet of information and mis the plane that is at your three o'clock that is not on your screen while looking for the plane at your nine o'clock that IS on your screen because the information you are seeing was not intended for your plane.

I flew for quite a while without ADS-B out through the LA basin which is some of the busiest airspace anywhere and the traffic picture was pretty much useless to rely on as a situational awareness tool.

Is ADS-B necessary to get any traffic on screen?...nope, but want to make sure for those that are looking into the technology for traffic awareness understand what it takes to be a useful tool. I am not advocating upgrade to out or nothing...but know what you are looking at and its limitations without it.

am I also suppose to stop looking too?

Not at all...If someone is looking into ADS-B for traffic situational awareness they need to understand what that involves to have useful and reliable information rather that your "it kinda works good enough for me" attitude as an informed decision.

just so ya know.....there are boxes that do that for WingX too...and I too fly IFR with WingX. :yes::D

OK so if you're not asking about installed ADS-B in/out boxes and more of "which one to use with FF" that narrows us right down.

So as far as plug-ins with FF on an iPad, we're limited to a few options and all of them start with "Stratus". Take a look on Sporty's at the various Stratus models offered and you can decide which features you value enough to pay for.

If you haven't yet committed to ForeFlight, just know that WingX is more of an open platform that is compatible with a pretty wide array of ADS-B receivers/AHRS/even ADAHRS.

Not sure if "just so you know" was meant for me or the OP, but I do know and I mentioned that in my post. :D

I flew VFR with FF and a Dual XGPS150, then VFR & IFR with WingX and a Clarity SV before switching back to FF/Stratus 2. There's so much parity between WingX and FF that it comes down to how much weight one puts on the nuanced differences.

Last edited:
So just to be clear, what does a person need to see traffic on their iPad running Foreflight? The Stratus alone or another device? If so where and how much are they thanks!

Foreflight = Stratus flavored box......WingX = lotsa options.

Also, I'm thinking Sporty's has the exclusive rights to sell.....you guessed it...Stratus. :D

$2800 with all the options including wifi to WingX, 2020 complaint and I can install it for free.

Is there a single reason to go with a gdl-88 over the Navworx, even with a 430W? The ARINC429 option seems to level the playing field.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Is there a single reason to go with a gdl-88 over the Navworx, even with a 430W? The ARINC429 option seems to level the playing field.

Not that I can see yet.

The Garmin is dual link, if you fly high and are leaving the US, that may be important to you.

The Garmin is dual link, if you fly high and are leaving the US, that may be important to you.
I'm of the understanding that it's dual receive only. It'll only transmit on 978, so that doesn't solve international or 18k issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Dual frequency, weather and traffic on the GNS/W, audio, shares GNS/W as position source. Add an FS210 and you get AHRS to iPad along with traffic and weather and flightplan transfer two ways to GNS/W, including airways. It is more expensive, but worth it IMHO.

I'm of the understanding that it's dual receive only. It'll only transmit on 978, so that doesn't solve international or 18k issues.

Just checked it out. You are correct, sir.
Thanks.

From discussion with the various other vendors at Osh, no one but Garmin can get the weather to display on a 530. Traffic can get there from the other boxes but not weather.

I'm wondering if there's some kind of difference since the navworx appears so much smaller, too.

For a single engine piston plane like a 172, that never plans on leaving the country in it, I don't see how you can go wrong with the Navworx.

I don't have a panel mount display for any ADS-B so that isn't important to me either. I have an iPad and Wing X so I looks pretty darn good for ~$2800 (with all the options including WiFi), no Garmin dealer policies to worry about, any owner and their A&P IA can buy the kit and install it and be 2020 compliant.

What do quotes for a GDL88 run? >$6k installed? Flight stream add on is $500 to $900 alone...

Last edited:
From discussion with the various other vendors at Osh, no one but Garmin can get the weather to display on a 530. Traffic can get there from the other boxes but not weather.

The ARINC429 option on the Navworx should provide traffic to the display.

The ARINC429 option on the Navworx should provide traffic to the display.

The GNS530W support for the GDL88 includes range settings up to 40 NM and provides track vectors and will display traffic on the Map page without the requirement for heading. What does the ARINC support in this regards, is it limited to 6 or 12 NM range? Are there track vectors? Does it require heading input in order to display traffic on the map page?

The GNS530W support for the GDL88 includes range settings up to 40 NM and provides track vectors and will display traffic on the Map page without the requirement for heading. What does the ARINC support in this regards, is it limited to 6 or 12 NM range? Are there track vectors? Does it require heading input in order to display traffic on the map page?
ARINC 429 is just a signaling mechanism. It's up to the TIS-B spec for the rest. Track vectors are a product of the display, not the receiver. Range is whatever the receiver will send to the display, as well, filtered by the display.

ARINC 429 is just a signaling mechanism. It's up to the TIS-B spec for the rest. Track vectors are a product of the display, not the receiver. Range is whatever the receiver will send to the display, as well, filtered by the display.

The questions remain unanswered with respect to the NavWorx as displayed on the GNS. Can someone who has this configuration respond. A picture would be nice. Based on my ignorance of the topic, the NavWorx will not display traffic on the Map page, it is limited to 6 NM, it does not provide direction vectors. Someone prove me wrong.

I've seen video of it providing vectors on the traffic page of a 430 and map view on a 496 years ago.

So just to be clear, what does a person need to see traffic on their iPad running Foreflight? The Stratus alone or another device? If so where and how much are they thanks!

If you want to see traffic on your iPad INDEPENDENT of accidentally being in someone else's shadow, you have to complete the puzzle and have some flavor of ADS-B OUT. The Stratus, and all of the other PORTABLE devices (the legal ones...) are "IN" only. You can get the Stratus with either just 978, or you can get it dual band with both 1090 and 978 IN.

If you fly in a major metropolitan area, chances are you will accidentally be in someone's shadow a lot. But..... if you want Traffic on your iPad that is sent to YOU specifically, you have to "light up" the station with ADS-B "OUT".

I personally have the Stratus II (older version...) with ForeFlight on my iPad. I also have a GNS(CNX80)480 paired with a GTX330ES transponder for "OUT". I am contemplating one of the newer offerings of ADS-B "IN" receiver only that will put Traffic on my MX20. It's only money.:D

If I had a naked panel with no WAAS, I'd probably go with the full solution GDL-88. Their recent announcement of collaboration with ForeFlight will, with the right modules, put YOUR custom Traffic on your iPad.

Last edited:
Here's a link to another thread about a ~$110 solution to ADS-B In for Foreflight or other EFBs. Sounded pretty cool, so the parts are on the way to me via Amazon right now:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85058

I also came across this announcement on the same reddit thread from the FAA regarding TIS-B over 978Mhz. This seems to indicate they will remove the requirement that you broadcast ADSB-Out to receive traffic via TIS-B:

http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs...ce_change_summary_final_508_5-13-15-webv2.pdf

For a single engine piston plane like a 172, that never plans on leaving the country in it, I don't see how you can go wrong with the Navworx.

I don't have a panel mount display for any ADS-B so that isn't important to me either. I have an iPad and Wing X so I looks pretty darn good for ~$2800 (with all the options including WiFi), no Garmin dealer policies to worry about, any owner and their A&P IA can buy the kit and install it and be 2020 compliant.

What do quotes for a GDL88 run? >$6k installed? Flight stream add on is $500 to $900 alone...

So what are the regs on me as an owner installing this myself? I do the install and then have my A/P sign off on it?

Back