Ads-b what's the best bang for the buck?

So what are the regs on me as an owner installing this myself? I do the install and then have my A/P sign off on it?

You can install it under supervision of an A&P, but an IA must inspect the work and sign the 337 for a certified aircraft because the FAA considers it a major modification and it must have an STC or a follow on to an STC using a field approval.

You can install it under supervision of an A&P, but an IA must inspect the work and sign the 337 for a certified aircraft because the FAA considers it a major modification and it must have an STC or a follow on to an STC using a field approval.

Thanks for the reply.. now does "Supervision by an A/P mean that he has to be there the entire time I am working on it? My A/P is not at my home field and I would like to do the work in my hangar. I am sure he wouldn't want to just sit around as I do the work..

Thanks for the reply.. now does "Supervision by an A/P mean that he has to be there the entire time I am working on it? My A/P is not at my home field and I would like to do the work in my hangar. I am sure he wouldn't want to just sit around as I do the work..

Here is what the FAR state:

Sec. 43.3 Persons authorized to perform maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, and alterations.

(a) Except as provided in this section and Sec. 43.17, no person may maintain, rebuild, alter, or perform preventive maintenance on an aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part to which this part applies. Those items, the performance of which is a major alteration, a major repair, or preventive maintenance, are listed in appendix A.
(b) The holder of a mechanic certificate may perform maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations as provided in Part 65 of this chapter.
(c) The holder of a repairman certificate may perform maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations as provided in part 65 of this chapter.
(d) A person working under the supervision of a holder of a mechanic or repairman certificate may perform the maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alterations that his supervisor is authorized to perform, if the supervisor personally observes the work being done to the extent necessary to ensure that it is being done properly and if the supervisor is readily available, in person, for consultation. However, this paragraph does not authorize the performance of any inspection required by Part 91 or Part 125 of this chapter or any inspection performed after a major repair or alteration.

Here's a link to another thread about a ~$110 solution to ADS-B In for Foreflight or other EFBs. Sounded pretty cool, so the parts are on the way to me via Amazon right now:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85058

I also came across this announcement on the same reddit thread from the FAA regarding TIS-B over 978Mhz. This seems to indicate they will remove the requirement that you broadcast ADSB-Out to receive traffic via TIS-B:

http://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs...ce_change_summary_final_508_5-13-15-webv2.pdf

I read the second document and from my reading of it what it will do is send data out to ADSB out emitters who are not using TSOed equipment. I would really like to see it all without a emiiter at all but that is not what I see in that doc. I'm hoping I read it wrong.

I read the second document and from my reading of it what it will do is send data out to ADSB out emitters who are not using TSOed equipment. I would really like to see it all without a emiiter at all but that is not what I see in that doc. I'm hoping I read it wrong.

The FAA does not determine if the ADS-B Out equipment is TSO or not. That is not the issue. The FAA ground station examines the actual broadcasts which examine the following parameters sent by the ADS-B Out device:

ADS-B Version - If ADS-B version is DO-282B or DO-260B, then this is the version required for 2020 compliance. They don't care about prior versions such as DO-282A or DO-260A or DO-260, as these versions are not intended to be used for 2020.

SIL (Source Integrity Level) - a value of zero means that the device does not meet the GPS source requirements and the position source can't be depended on so its position information may not be displayed on a certified ADS-B In display. Portable ADS-B Out systems must set this value to zero. Other systems set this to zero because the data is not provided by the position source or a configuration error is made. IMHO, setting this value to a non zero for a portable or non qualifying source would constitute fraud.

SDA (System Design Assurance) - a value of zero means that the device does not meet the overall system design integrity and this type of device can't be depended on so its position information may not be displayed on a certified ADS-B In display. Portable ADS-B Out systems must set this value to zero. Other systems set this to zero because the data is not provided by the position source or a configuration error is made. IMHO, setting this value to a non zero for a portable or non qualifying equipment would constitute fraud.

NACp Navigational Accuracy Category - must be greater than 4. A NACp of 4 means that the real position is contained within 1 NM of the broadcast position. Many non compliant systems do not broadcast a value which indicates that the position accuracy is unknown. This value represents the dynamic accuracy of the position source with respect to the lateral position. It represents a 95% likelihood that the accuracy of the position is within the coded value. A certain portable ADS-B Out system appears to have hard coded this value to one which is not achievable by a certified GNS530W and I simply don't believe it. Unlike a real value that changes with conditions, this portable value never changes.

NIC Navigational Integrity Category - must be greater than 4. A NIC of 4 means the containment radius is within 2 NM of the actual position. Many non compliant systems do not broadcast a value. This value represents the dynamic integrity of the position source with respect to the lateral position and is the 99.9999% probability that the position is contained within the radius.

Of the systems out in the field, I understand that roughly 2300 systems are affected and that 300 to 500 are from portables. The rest are likely from installations that are either not configured properly or don't use a valid position source.

Back