ADS-B return to service

Oh goody. Tom asks another question and then claims he didn’t ask the question, doesn’t provide any useful information and a few people worship him for it. Weird.
You can't read either, so you criticize.
I asked who could return it to service, And you didn't understand it, and now try to spin it..nope you loose.

Yeah, he apparently is so insecure with himself, he has to try to build himself up, by attempting to tear someone else down.
No, he just believes he knows what you want even when he doesn't. Same with Salty, doesn't care what you asked, gives a wrong answer then declares you asked the wrong question.

No, he just believes he knows what you want even when he doesn't. Same with Salty, doesn't care what you asked, gives a wrong answer then declares you asked the wrong question.
Tom- again, let it go. You aren't doing your health any good.

The answer to my question is here:
Thanks Bnt83 for pointing me in the right direction. (post #3)

(b) Following any installation or maintenance on an ATC transponder where data correspondence error could be introduced, the integrated system has been tested, inspected, and found to comply with paragraph (c), appendix E, of part 43 of this chapter.

(c) The tests and inspections specified in this section must be conducted by—

(1) A certificated repair station properly equipped to perform those functions and holding—

(i) A radio rating, Class III;

(ii) A limited radio rating appropriate to the make and model transponder to be tested;

(iii) A limited rating appropriate to the test to be performed;

Any one can install, the tests and return to service must be done by a CRS.
You wouldn't return to service until the tests are complete.

Any one can install, the tests and return to service must be done by a CRS.
You wouldn't return to service until the tests are complete.

Maybe a stupid question, but the if the installation must be tested and returned to service by a CRS, then what is the purpose of the Validation flight? Just getting the rebate?

Maybe a stupid question, but the if the installation must be tested and returned to service by a CRS, then what is the purpose of the Validation flight? Just getting the rebate?
Not a clue?

"Validation" flight was purely to get the rebate inscentive, not required for anything else

flight testing is not just for the rebate.....it's another form of testing acceptable to the administrator.

item #12 in the link I provided.....
12.Documenting ADS-B OUT System Performance Verification.
Following system performance verification of the ADS-B OUT installation by OFE and/or ground testing, document the results of the system performance in the aircraft maintenance record per 14 CFR § 43. When system performance is found acceptable, include the statement, “The installed ADS-B OUT system was shown to meet the equipment requirements of 14 CFR § 91.227” in the aircraft maintenance records.
(a)Execute FAA Form 337
Note: Upon completion of the alteration for the ADS-B OUT system, if the ground testing method is not used and only the OFE method is employed, the aircraft may be approved for return to service with ADS-B OUT system use limited to use for OFE purposes only.​
(i)When using an OFE to determine compliance, complete Form 337 per the example provided in Attachment 5 of this document to record the ADS-B OUT alteration. This Form 337 must be completed prior to returning the aircraft to service. Once the OFE has been accomplished and it has been established that the system is compliant with 14 CFR § 91.227, an additional Form 337 should be completed to record compliance (see Attachment 6). Block 8 of the second Form 337 should include the following statement: “The installed ADS-B OUT system has been shown to meet the equipment requirements of 14 CFR § 91.227.” This Form 337 serves as a permanent record of ADS-B OUT system compliance at installation.
(ii)When using ground/ramp test equipment to establish compliance with14 CFR § 91.227, complete Form 337 and reference Attachment 5 as an example. Upon determining that the system complies with the 14 CFR § 91.227, include the following statement in block 8 of Form 337: “The installed ADS-B OUT system has been shown to meet the equipment requirements of 14 CFR § 91.227.”
(iii)Include the ADS-B OUT transmitter and position source make/model information in block 8 of Form 337 as shown in Attachment 5.
(iv)In situations where no further FAA approval is sought, the installer should include the following information in Block 3 of Form 337. “This ADS-B OUT system installation was completed using approved data from STC SX-XXXXX as per FAA Policy Memorandum Installation Approval for ADS-B OUT Systems, (current revision).” Reference Attachment 4 for an example of Form 337, Block 3 entry.
(v)Submit completed hardcopy Form 337s to the Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-750, P.O. box 25504, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73125. Submittal of electronic Form 337 is also acceptable.

(OFE) - Operational Flight Evaluation

That's all great but it muddies the water. If the unit installed requires the unit be spliced into the coax for the transponder or the transponder system is dinked with, then the transponder needs tested to Part 43 appendix F to ensure the power output still meets the requirements. It needs ramp tested.

A friend of mine considered a GTX ADS-B out solution then I mentioned that his transponder antenna needs relocated because it was at least 12 feet or more aft of the instrument panel. IIRC the max coax length allowed for RG400 was 8 feet.

Back