ADS-B Compliance on the Cheap?

Garmin only has a Mooney STC for the GDL 82 I thought? Even if it is more extensive, it doesn’t cover my 182RG.

Uavionix is saying no 337 is required on their solution. Remains to be seen but if true, I bet you see IAs walking around the North 40 making sure you installed the light correctly and handing out logbook entries. That’s what I’d do at least. Lot of money to made quickly doing that.

From the Garmin website:
Garmin website said:
GDL 82 is ready for installation in hundreds of today’s most popular aircraft makes and models using an FAA-approved STC and an FAA Memorandum addressing ADS-B "Out" installations.

It isn't clear what specific FAA Memorandum authorizes GDL 82 installation "in hundreds of today's most popular aircraft makes and models", but a call to Garmin should confirm that the STC approved model list doesn't have to include all of the hundreds of today's most popular aircraft makes and models.

...a call to Garmin should confirm that the STC approved model list doesn't have to include all of the hundreds of today's most popular aircraft makes and models.
Agree with that. It should be a matter of a call to Garmin and an A&P/IA. Forgive me but Garmin’s bungled communications are not something I am in the mood to figure out. Not taking anything out on you, but the confusion around the installation and the contradictory statements their own people made in the Garmin tent last year at Osh make me less than enthused to chase down my own answer if the Uavionix solution gets me the same or better end result.

Garmin only has a Mooney STC for the GDL 82 I thought? Even if it is more extensive, it doesn’t cover my 182RG.

Uavionix is saying no 337 is required on their solution. Remains to be seen but if true, I bet you see IAs walking around the North 40 making sure you installed the light correctly and handing out logbook entries. That’s what I’d do at least. Lot of money to made quickly doing that.
That's not consistent with the Uavionix website.....most will require an STC for certified production aircraft. STC installs are recorded on a form 337 with an IA's signature.

At release, an STC will be available for several of the most popular aircraft models. We’ll work to quickly expand the Approved Model List, and expect that skyBeacon installations on non-STC’d models will be a minor alteration which can be signed off on by an A&P holding an IA or a Part 145 repair station.

Talk about a mucked up process. This is another STC that approved a minor alteration when reading between the lines then...

upload_2018-7-2_9-28-29.png

Last edited:
Back