Admin law vs admin law

A

Adeline91

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding FAA workers, I had a problem with my medical, it cost me thousands of dollars, my AME and the experts never diagnosed a issue, didn’t see the problem, however the FAA kept asking for more expensive tests.

After asking for their internal notes I noticed that one of the workers directly fabricated a story about my past, not only was he not in possession of the information to know this part of my past, but that's not true, and easily documented so, the only reason these notes are kept is to help make medical decisions, besides all the doctors who saw me had a very different opinion from that FAA employee, whom I have never met in my life.

I know I couldn't act against the FAA it's the government and I don't have the connections to do anything, but I found the state the FAA worker is licensed as a physician, my understanding is physicians licenses, much like the FAA, is administrative law.

Does anyone have any experience of going to the FAA workers license state, and trying to have that board have the physicians license revoked or take some action?

I suppose anyone can make a complaint to a state medical board. Your situation doesn’t rise to license suspension.

If you’ve got documented proof of a fabricated story, your best bet is a Employee Integrity Investigations complaint to the DOT Office of the Inspector General with a cc: to your federal House rep and both Senators.

I suppose anyone can make a complaint to a state medical board. Your situation doesn’t rise to license suspension.

Lying on medical documents and ignoring doctors who have actually examined me wouldn’t cause them to take action? Perhaps this is why doctors are the third leading cause of death in the US

If you’ve got documented proof of a fabricated story, your best bet is a Employee Integrity Investigations complaint to the DOT Office of the Inspector General with a cc: to your federal House rep and both Senators.

I never heard of that type of complaint, I will look into this, it’s very easy to prove as it’s all in black and white ink. Thank you

What happened was wrong.
What outcome do you want?
  • Restitution:
    • I don't think you or I have enough money or horsepower to change the FAA.
    • IF you go after the doctor's license, you might find a lot of other issues pop up.
  • You just want to fly your Cessna:
    • Sounds like you had the problem, which I hope means you have a medical in hand.
    • If you can live with a 3rd class level of flying, go basic med after the medical expires, expressly and clearly state to your AME and anyone else involved to NEVER send anything to the FAA on your behalf (or the FAA will treat as a new application and revoke your Basic Med)

Last edited:
So what did the FAA diagnose you with that your own doctors or AME did not?

Were any of your answers to the questions on the medical enough to warrant a closer look?

Did the AME defer your medical to the FAA?

What is the nature of the fabricated story? Is it something that the FAA could find out about you via other channels besides from what you disclosed?

What outcome do you want?
  • Restitution:
    • I don't think you or I have enough money or horsepower to change the FAA.
    • IF you go after the doctor's license, you might find a lot of other issues with your medical and possibly a criminal probe by the FAA
  • You just want to fly your Cessna:
    • Sounds like you had the problem, which I hope means you have a medical in hand.
    • If you can live with a 3rd class level of flying, go basic med after the medical expires, expressly and clearly state to your AME and anyone else involved to NEVER send anything to the FAA on your behalf (or the FAA will treat as a new application and revoke your Basic Med)

Thank you for the reply

I do not believe I would ever be made whole financially by the FAA, the possibility of restitution never crossed my mind.

This isn’t a problem I actually had, it was a problem the FAA had, and is now resolved.

I don’t think going after a agency makes change, even if a judges ruled in my favor it would be taxpayers who paid the judgement, not that I have the money or political connections to win.

What I do think would be a good change is for the workers to know that wrongly going after a person and outright lying about them has consequences, if the workers talked during lunch about how someone doesn’t work here anymore, or had their license suspended, maybe it might make them think that just because they can hurt someone, maybe they shouldn’t.

You think the FAA would try to take retribution on me if I took this matter up with one of their workers, but kept the agency out of it?

So what did the FAA diagnose you with that your own doctors or AME did not?

Were any of your answers to the questions on the medical enough to warrant a closer look?

Did the AME defer your medical to the FAA?

What is the nature of the fabricated story? Is it something that the FAA could find out about you via other channels besides from what you disclosed?

That is not a subject for public consumption.

The nature was a lie, the only credible source to this, is one source of information, that source reads what is written on a screen, what is written is not what the FAA stated, not remotely.

The nature was a lie, the only credible source to this, is one source of information, that source reads what is written on a screen, what is written is not what the FAA stated, not remotely.
Sorry, Adeline91, but I just find the whole situation confusing, and have the same questions @SkyDog58 does. And I can't parse this sentence at all, I have no idea what it means.

You say that the issue has been "resolved". I assume this means you jumped through whatever the hoops were and got your medical successfully? If this is the case, it sounds like you want to go after the "worker" -- who is also a doctor? -- on a personal level outside of the FAA, to teach the individual a lesson? Or is it get them fired, so as to teach the FAA and their employees a lesson? Again, I don't understand. Either way, it sounds vindictive. Again, not knowing any of the vital details -- it sounds analogous to getting a bad grade from your college professor, going through a grade dispute process successfully, and then trying to get the professor's alma mater to recind their Ph.D. Or having someone botch a car repair at a garage, and trying to get the repairman's driver's license revoked at the DMV. If they did something wrong in the context of their work with the FAA, then take it up with their FAA supervisor.

Kath is wise - stated things much clearer than I did.

Sorry, Adeline91, but I just find the whole situation confusing, and have the same questions @SkyDog58 does. And I can't parse this sentence at all, I have no idea what it means.

You say that the issue has been "resolved". I assume this means you jumped through whatever the hoops were and got your medical successfully? If this is the case, it sounds like you want to go after the "worker" -- who is also a doctor? -- on a personal level outside of the FAA, to teach the individual a lesson? Or is it get them fired, so as to teach the FAA and their employees a lesson? Again, I don't understand. Either way, it sounds vindictive. Again, not knowing any of the vital details -- it sounds analogous to getting a bad grade from your college professor, going through a grade dispute process successfully, and then trying to get the professor's alma mater to recind their Ph.D. Or having someone botch a car repair at a garage, and trying to get the repairman's driver's license revoked at the DMV. If they did something wrong in the context of their work with the FAA, then take it up with their FAA supervisor.

Sorry English isn’t my first language, it’s most apparent in writing from my phone.

Yes, I jumped through their hoops, and yes I would like to teach a lesson to the FAA worker who lied about me and cost me thousands, I do not believe filing a complaint to the FAA would go anywhere other than the trash can, they are obviously onboard with this type of behavior.

Why should I be the only one held to a standard?

I do not believe filing a complaint to the FAA would go anywhere other than the trash can, they are obviously onboard with this type of behavior.
Why should I be the only one held to a standard?
You don't have to be. There are several paths within the FAA that allow incidents/issues to be reported when concerning an FAA employee. You thinking it will end up in the trash can undermines the purpose of the reporting. The FAA has over 40,000 employees so it's hard for them to keep an eye on everyone. Here is a link to one of the reporting methods. It gets reviewed by persons who job is to ensure the remaining FAA employees are doing their job. There is a different method to pursue if you were an Air Carrier employee or contractor during this issue which is the 2nd link.
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/aae/programs_services/faa_hotlines

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/whistleblower

You don't have to be. There are several paths within the FAA that allow incidents/issues to be reported when concerning an FAA employee. You thinking it will end up in the trash can undermines the purpose of the reporting. The FAA has over 40,000 employees so it's hard for them to keep an eye on everyone. Here is a link to one of the reporting methods. It gets reviewed by persons who job is to ensure the remaining FAA employees are doing their job. There is a different method to pursue if you were an Air Carrier employee or contractor during this issue which is the 2nd link.
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/aae/programs_services/faa_hotlines

https://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/whistleblower

After my experience, my first experience, with the FAA, I have zero faith in that group of people.

Someone in that administration felt comfortable enough to do what they did to me, that behavior is clearly acceptable, or not punished enough to stop that type of behavior from occurring often.

That accountability office someone mentioned here, and the state medical board of where the worker has their license feels a option that I could be more confident with actually doing something to prevent this type of thing from happening again.

Hopefully we can hear how this is resolved in the future. I’m expecting NTSB like timelines.

Hopefully we can hear how this is resolved in the future. I’m expecting NTSB like timelines.

I will try to update, maybe I’ll even join someday

I feel if I don’t try to stand up to this type of abuse, I’ll end up with a government like the one I left

I feel if I don’t try to stand up to this type of abuse, I’ll end up with a government like the one I left

"I will root for you, but I won't bet on you." :)

Yep you can quote me on that.

Surprised not mentioned, or I missed it... but appeals to FAA medical things are taken to the NTSB. I know of several of those. Not overly slow or onerous... and all were resolved in favor of the airman. Food for thought.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back