A380 upsets Challenger at FL350

Flying_Nun

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying_Nun
A Challenger 604 at FL350 operating from Male-Abu Dhabi passed an A380 opposite direction at FL360, one thousand feet above, about 630nm southeast of Muscat, Oman, over the Arabian Sea.

A short time later (1-2 minutes) the aircraft encountered wake turbulence sending the aircraft into an uncontrolled roll, turning the aircraft around at least 3 times (possibly even 5 times), both engines flamed out, the aircraft lost about 10,000 feet until the crew was able to recover the aircraft, restart the engines and divert to Muscat. The aircraft received damage beyond repair due to the G-forces, and was written off.

http://flightservicebureau.org/enroute-a380-wake-flips-challenger-604-upside-down/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like "Super" separation needs to go to 2,000 ft vertical. ;)

How does one "write off" a $5+ million dollar plane?

Sounds like the tired challenger needs to be up higher than FL360. A real biz jet goes straight to FL410 at max gross in 20 minutes.

............... because it's always safe to put a smaller, fast jet plane under a really big, fast jet plane.
The only thing missing was:
Halten Sie mein Bier, Bubba

Sounds like the tired challenger needs to be up higher than FL360. A real biz jet goes straight to FL410 at max gross in 20 minutes.

If you are inbound to Abu Dhabi and approaching Muscat it doesn't matter what kind of biz jet or Cirrus-with-a-parachute you have, you most likely don't want to be at FL410

Last edited:
I think maybe someone wasn't at their assigned altitude. I'm not saying the pilots blew it, but the altitude computer coulda had a hiccup. I dont remember the details, but there was an incident years ago when RVSM was new and still not being used domestically, just over the ocean. It was determined that the problem was there was probably a little dirt or a bug on the fuselage near the static port.

If you are inbound to Abu Dhabi and approaching Muscat it doesn't matter what kind of biz jet or Cirrus-with-a-parachute you have, you most likely don't want to be at FL410

Cut the kid some slack - it's cute when the noobies still brag about their airplanes. :)

Please keep your seat belt buckled at all times while seated.

I know the Internet is stupid. I didn't know this extends into POA.

I don't know much about flight in the FL's but wouldn't the wind normally be strong enough to break up Wake Turb from a clean airfoil before reaching another plane 1000' lower. And if directly below, with any wind, the wake should have drifted out of the flightpath of the lower aircraft, yes? ... Some other anomaly caused this incident, maybe?

When the pilots at my company call the CRJ900 the "9" or the "CRJ heavy".....:rolleyes::mad2:

Hahaha - that's hilarious! Probably the same guys that tell girls at the bar that they work for Delta, huh?

Oh yeah you're right, and that makes it more understandable. At altitude they are relatively "slow" aren't they (higher AoA). And clean. This is really a frightening possibility, isn't it?

Edit: I wonder if this will have any future impact on RVSM operations

How does one "write off" a $5+ million dollar plane?

Pretty easily. If there's no way to repair it, it's written off and you get a check.

When the pilots at my company call the CRJ900 the "9" or the "CRJ heavy".....:rolleyes::mad2:

I once had a tower say "Caution wake turbulence, heavy 172 departing." Of course, that was an intentional joke.

Pretty easily. If there's no way to repair it, it's written off and you get a check.
I understand that, but from the wording I was thinking the company that owned it was the one writing it off, not the insurance company.

I don't know much about flight in the FL's but wouldn't the wind normally be strong enough to break up Wake Turb from a clean airfoil before reaching another plane 1000' lower. And if directly below, with any wind, the wake should have drifted out of the flightpath of the lower aircraft, yes? ... Some other anomaly caused this incident, maybe?
I'd think both planes and the wake are in the same block of air which may or may not be moving with respect to the ground, and are so unaffected by that possible air movement. I'm assuming no wind shear.

I understand that, but from the wording I was thinking the company that owned it was the one writing it off, not the insurance company.
That very well may be how the accounting is handled. Asset value deducted and cash received recorded as separate entries. The values are likely to be quite different.

Guys, some of you need to go and study wake vortices. They sink and they spread downwind. ATC is the same the world over. Only so many altitudes are available and just because your aircraft can go to 410 doesn't mean your going to get it. Worldwide it is now standard to use SLOP as procedure. Strategic Lateral Offset Program. Why? Because inertial navigation, GPS nav is so accurate that everyone flies very close lines. Vortices sink so someone that is 1000 feet lower is (especially in light winds) probably going to get kicked...hard. I have had my MD11 rocked over thirty degrees by a 380 and a 747. ATC now assigns a certain offset of up to three miles. Over the North Atlantic the Captain offsets 1 mile and the F/O offsets 2 miles (just for standardization). This means that on coming traffic is usually about 2 to 4 miles offset from each other.

giphy.gif

Back