A320 or 737 type rating?

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by jax12, Mar 12, 2021.

1. jax12

jax12 Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    jax12
    Hello all,
    If anyone could offer some career advice, I'd be most grateful.

I'll be paying for my ATP and type rating out of pocket in order to make myself more competitive for airline interviews.

I only have part 135 SEL-turbine experience. I'm not really sure which type rating I should pursue to make myself more competitive with major airlines. Any suggestions or insights would be highly welcome and appreciated.

2. Greg Bockelman

Greg Bockelman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg Bockelman
    My choice would be the 737. The big 3 have both. But just about everyone has Boeing products.

3. RhinoDrvr

RhinoDrvr Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    RhinoDrvr
    Disclaimer: I am not an airline guy yet, just a .mil dude who got my ATP. I went with the 737 because of this logic. No airline cares about your type rating because they’re going to train you their own way. Also, there’s recency of experience requirements with your type rating that you won’t meet after you get it unless you’re already hired with an airline.

The only airline that seems to care at all about a type rating is SWA, even though they don’t officially require it, and they fly the 737.

EvilEagle and Lowen Loftin like this.
  4. Tools

Tools Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tools
    So therefore, consider a citation or something that might come in handy while you wait or if you get furloughed.

Unless you’re really targeting SWA.

EvilEagle and FancyG like this.
  5. Larry in TN

Larry in TN Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Larry in TN
    The 737 type would be simpler, and I'd think cheaper, because of the complexity of the A320's fly-by-wire system.

6. midwestpa24

midwestpa24 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    midwestpa24
    Does going out and spending the money on a type rating help getting hire at an airline? They are just going to have to train you anyway. I could see a type rating being a plus for a corporate operator, because they don't care as much about how you were trained just that you have it.

7. kgruber

kgruber En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Skywag
    A 737 type rating is the least expensive TR that I know of.

8. unsafervguy

unsafervguy Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    bob
    got to disagree with you about simpler. the A320 was designed to be flown by a captain and a chimp, they don't want you to know much about it. my 320 type was the easiest type I have gotten. systems on the 737, because of the age, are more in depth. not to mention those memory items. none, or possibly one on the 320 depending on who is flying it.

NJP_MAN likes this.
  9. Tools

Tools Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tools
    Airbus’ sims fly EXACTLY like the plane, unlike most other sims/planes.

Pretty short program.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  10. Jeff767

Jeff767 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jeff767
    Actually the aircraft flies like the sim, not the other way around. It’s completely soulless with zero feedback. Happily almost all more modern fly by wire systems incorporate feedback loops into the system. The 787 and A220 are excellent examples as well as most new business jets.

11. jayhawk74

jayhawk74 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    jayhawk74
    In fact having a type rating for an airliner with no time can be a red flag for an airline as they may think that you are more interested in flying for an airline with that type.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Doc Holliday
    Not true.

Getting the type in conjunction with the new rules for an ATP is just another way of doing it. Having a type rating (any type) also shows the applicant has the ability to be trained.

Lowen Loftin likes this.
  13. NJP_MAN

NJP_MAN Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Shawn
    No feed back on the 7X and I would definitely not call that plane soulless. I'd say it's quite the opposite and as far as I can tell it's the most soulful of the fbw business jets

14. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    Keep in mind that with only SEL turbine time, a jet type rating with a 100% simulator checkride is going to have a supervised operating experience limitation attached to it, and unless you actually fly that type, it’ll stay on your certificate “forever”.

Probably not a big deal, but worth mentioning.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  15. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rex Kramer
    A type rating without any experience in the plane or at least some equivalent experience (other 121/turbine time) is pretty useless.

As far as 737/Airbus...well either will be fine as they are both the most prolific airframes out there. There is no learning curve between the two.

16. Kritchlow

Kritchlow Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kritchlow
    In theory the Bus is an easy airplane. In reality I find it a bit challenging. Yes, in a third world country you’d be fine slowing to the managed programmed speeds on cue, but in the US this is useless. Any Bus pilot knows we are constantly overriding (tricking) the airplane to do other things. I think this complicates the flying, as we all know a change in speed effs up your vertical profile. Sometimes the Bus likes it, other times it does not. Maybe Boeing is the same, not sure.

Type rating in the Bus, just learning the laws, can be mystifying. The rest of the type may be easy. Flying the airplane... not so much.

unsafervguy likes this.
  17. sourdough44

sourdough44 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    WI Flyer
    How about doing what it takes to get on with a ‘regional’ airline once hiring ramps up? No need for either type rating. You’ll eventually need ME PIC turbine time anyway, the way I see it.

Kritchlow likes this.
  18. jordane93

jordane93 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jordan
    Probably doesn’t matter which one you get. I’d go with whatever is going to be cheaper for you.

19. bflynn

bflynn Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian Flynn
  20. midwestpa24

midwestpa24 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    midwestpa24
    If you are just starting out as an ATP with low hours, you probably won't have much luck getting hired at a mainline carrier anyway. You'll more than likely end up spending time at a regional flying a CRJ/ERJ of some type.

Kritchlow likes this.