A view from 10K

SkyDog58

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Canis Non Grata
This is my 10,000th post. To mark the occasion as meager and unimportant as it might be, I thought I’d post some random observations in response to some common themes I see on POA. So, here I go…

Very seldom if ever is an aviation business of any sort out to screw pilots. They all know aviation is a small world made smaller these days by social media. This is especially true of flight schools. If you feel they are trying to screw you, take a look in the mirror. You will likely see the person with the real problem looking back at you. The same goes for your CFI. CFIs while not infallible and certainly not perfect are very seldom the reason you are not successful in your progress. It’s most likely that you are not performing well enough due to your own inadequacies.

Your A&P is not perfect and does not know it all. We make mistakes and sometimes do not have the right answer. Troubleshooting some problems can be a PITA. Communication is frequently the key though especially in the form of the pilot adequately explaining the symptoms of a discrepancy with as much relevant info as possible.

I appreciate the viewpoints of our ATC folks who frequently see things a bit differently than do most pilots and I believe for good reason. They see the big picture of what is happening in their airspace while the individual pilot has but a small slice of it. They understand their policies and procedures better than we do and often know the reasons behind them. They are not only an asset when you need them in flight, but their knowledge and experiences supplied in POA posts are nuggets of knowledge and wisdom for the rest of us. Pick them up!

It is a well-known fact that aviation jobs, particularly airlines, require working long hours, odd shifts, weekends, holidays, etc., and requires paying dues in the form of time and effort and frequently for not a great paycheck in your early years. It is also an industry fraught with layoffs, downsizing, bankruptcies, mergers, etc. that affect pay and seniority. You knew that going in. Stop your whining. If you didn’t know it, you are an idiot for not researching the industry before jumping in.

Drinking and driving is foolhardy and demonstrates very poor judgment. Having a record of being foolhardy makes regulators nervous out of concern for not just you but also for the safety and well-being of others. You should not be surprised then when your past foolhardiness comes back to bite you. So, if you are asked to jump through hoops to prove those foolhardy days are in your past, JUMP!

Develop personal minimums. Mine are quite restrictive but I believe it keeps me and anyone flying with me safe. I’d rather disappoint than cause injury or death.

You can’t just pull your airplane to the side of the road in the sky. So, if either you or the airplane aren’t operating optimally, stay on the ground.

IMC is no place for low time pilots especially those without their IR.

Trying to impress friends and family with low level shenanigans will often just leave an impression in the ground.

Well, I have more thoughts, but these are all for now. Don’t want to bore you too much all at once. Take them for what they are worth. I’m not trying to be preachy and hope that I don’t come across as a know it all because I certainly am not. This is just my two cents based on my experiences in aviation. This includes 35 years of aviation maintenance as an A&P/IA. This included time working in general aviation, Part 121 airlines, Part 145 repair stations, OEMs, and US Army helicopters. I’ve held practically every possible position from mechanic to hangar manager. Some of these thoughts are also influenced by my experiences pursuing my private pilot certificate & four ratings (ASEL, ASES, AMEL, Glider) during which time I had numerous CFIs and passed four check rides with four different DPEs. And of course, they are influenced by my experiences as a pilot as well.

Was totally with you until you started using words like whining and idiot.
Until you have walked in those shoes, you just may be the idiot. You don’t know what you don’t know, and please don’t think you can learn all from Internet forums.

Was totally with you until you started using words like whining and idiot.
Until you have walked in those shoes, you just may be the idiot. You don’t know what you don’t know, and please don’t think you can learn all from Internet forums.

Would all my years working Part 121 with shift assignments such as midnight with Tuesday/Wednesday as days off qualify as walking in those shoes?
How about the fact that I went through a couple of layoffs due to bankruptcies?
How about that I worked quite a few holidays?

I've lived it. I did not read it online.

I'd say that I have walked in those shoes. Did I always like all of this? No, but I never whined because I knew going in what the industry was like. If someone discovers this after the fact, then yes they are an idiot in my opinion.

Would all my years working Part 121 with shift assignments such as midnight with Tuesday/Wednesday as days off qualify as walking in those shoes?

I'd say that I have walked in those shoes. Did I always like all of this? No, but I never whined because I knew going in what the industry was like. If someone discovers this after the fact, then yes they are an idiot in my opinion.
Ahh... Didn’t know you were a seasoned 121 guy.
You are the one of the “several” that go against the grain with us.
Your terminology does not scream airline talk. You may have flown 121, but it sounds a bit out of the norm.

And NOBODY EVER KNOWS what the industry is like, as things change on a daily basis.

This is my 10,000th post.

How ****ing disappointing. I just knew your 10K was gonna be epic.

image.gif

Sure, there’s no one in aviation out to screw you, that’s why Braniff still owes me my last check.
I’ll tell that to the guy on my field with the maintenance operation that charged someone a $500 tow fee that was done by the airport and he was out of town that day.
I worked 121 for several airlines due to bankruptcies. Frank Lorenzo was a nice guy and never screwed anyone!
After 35 years of 121 I’m amazed how many scumbags there are in part 91. Used car salesmen have nothing on them. I’ve met plenty of honest ones, but general aviation has more than it’s fair share of creeps.

Ahh... Didn’t know you were a seasoned 121 guy.
You are the one of the “several” that go against the grain with us.
Your terminology does not scream airline talk. You may have flown 121, but it sounds a bit out of the norm.

I guess you stopped reading my post when you got to the part you disagreed with so much. That’s alright I do the same sometimes but if you had read farther you’d seen me list a real short bio and nowhere does it say I flew 121. I was 121 maintenance. You should also note that in the part you took exception with that I referenced aviation jobs in whole and was not referring to just pilot jobs. Why do some pilots think that aviation is all about them and that they have it tougher than everyone else?

Kills me how someone that equates number of posts with knowledge. I find that the most verbose people often have the least to offer.

Kills me how someone that equates number of posts with knowledge. I find that the most verbose people often have the least to offer.
I take it you missed his word choice of 'observation'.

Like the Dog said, “...take a look in the mirror. You will likely see the person with the real problem looking back at you.” ;)

The 'dog said:

"blah, blah, blah

I appreciate the viewpoints of our ATC folks who frequently see things a bit differently than do most pilots and I believe for good reason. They see the big picture of what is happening in their airspace while the individual pilot has but a small slice of it. They understand their policies and procedures better than we do and often know the reasons behind them. They are not only an asset when you need them in flight, but their knowledge and experiences supplied in POA posts are nuggets of knowledge and wisdom for the rest of us. Pick them up!

Blah, blah, blah"

Why thank you sir. Here's to another 10,000!

Being a voracious and quick reader for the last half-century or more, TLDR never applies to me. I just read every fourth word and make up the rest in my mind.

I guess you stopped reading my post when you got to the part you disagreed with so much. That’s alright I do the same sometimes but if you had read farther you’d seen me list a real short bio and nowhere does it say I flew 121. I was 121 maintenance. You should also note that in the part you took exception with that I referenced aviation jobs in whole and was not referring to just pilot jobs. Why do some pilots think that aviation is all about them and that they have it tougher than everyone else?
Went back and looked again. Could be I’m just missing it for some reason, but I don’t see it.

That said, I believe I was correct in my assumption that you shouldn’t judge.

I thought we were going to see cool pictures fro 10k ft. Like your observations.

Anyone who thinks a post count establishes some sort of credibility or small unit status needs to get out their moms basement for once. Same with the likes count. Who faaaawking cares. Doesn't mean crap.

LOL, I hope your 20,000 th post is received better than this one, tough, tough crowd.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back