A trend of First Officers not wanting to be Captains

allowing qualified pilots to more easily switch between seats (so in the month you have a vacation planned or some big event you might select FO, other months you might bid for captain positions
In the airline world, there’s expensive and time consuming training and checking to switch seats. Not a month-to-month thing.

In fairness, that's mostly a multi-fleet problem. Single type operators exhibit more flexibility on that particular line item, to include way more frequent domicile vacancy bidding, which is a sticking point for many when it comes to QOL (certainly is for me as a shadow inventory lurker). At some of the legacies, conversion dates can exceed a year from award! Heck, most people divorce in less time, present company included.

Matter of fact, it is that delay in award to conversion that's got my buddy hiding from his legacy, after he called the other day to let them know he was interested in coming back from PLOA early. The second they told him he'd have to qual be back on NB, and wait for the next vacancy bid to move to WB (enter the implied conversion delay) he said nvm see ya in a year, and hung up. Unreal lol. I wish I could do my vocational bidding the Burger King way over here on team BOHICA I mean DoD. :biggrin:

In the airline world, there’s expensive and time consuming training and checking to switch seats. Not a month-to-month thing.

I have no direct knowledge. However, from what others have posted, FO to Captain on the same plane has some training. There is no specific training requirement to go from Captain to FO.
Most of the training requirements I have read about are because people are changing planes, not just seats.

Tim

So, I am just a lowly 230ish hr captain of my C172, so I gotta ask, can someone explain the 9%, 59% first chair 2nd chair kind of stuff?
I'm 51% at my airline. 51% of the airline's pilots are senior to me, 49% are junior.

I'm 9% in my F/O seat, base-equipment-seat. I'm 34 FOs ahead of me out of 359.

If I moved over to Captain, on the same airline and domicile, I'd be at 68%. I'd be #244 out of 360 Captains.

Each month we bid for our next month's schedule. Captains bid as Captains, F/Os as F/Os. At 9% I get a much better line (m ore in line with my preferences) than I would at 68% as a Captain.

Every nine months I bid for my recurrent training. At 9%, I pretty much get the dates and/or sim periods that I want. At 68% I'd likely have 4:00AM brief times.

Each year we bid for vacation. At 9%, I can hold vacation over Thanksgiving and Christmas. As a Captain at 68%, I couldn't hold any holidays or any summer months.

I have no direct knowledge. There is no specific training requirement to go from Captain to FO.
You have no knowledge and then proceed to post false statements. Of course you don't know they're false since you have no knowledge of the topic you are talking about, yet you talk about it anyway. Unless you are an instructor, you are only qualified for one seat.

You have no knowledge and then proceed to post false statements. Of course you don't know they're false since you have no knowledge of the topic you are talking about, yet you talk about it anyway. Unless you are an instructor, you are only qualified for one seat.
Right. I de-qualed in the right seat several years back. Check airman need to do some right seat work in the sim to stay qualed.

Back