A&P/IA shortage

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Around here a lot of IA have retired, shops closed and no new ones. Is it the money, the airlines that hire all the new A&P out of school or just a lack of people who want to work GA. We have a large FBO that works on Jets that is always looking for A&P full benefits good pay and still can't fill the spots.

Last edited:
Is it the money,
Sometimes. But more on type of work and the market as a whole. All the trades (read physical, outdoor work) are going through the same trend. Unfortunately with A&Ps they are on the low end of the scale when compared to other paths. In my opinion, the independent GA AP/IA will be a thing of the past sooner than later. Insurance costs, at least in the rotorcraft side, will be doubling in the next couple years and will eventually trickle down. And with the global market pushing the limits on airline travel I think the next 10 years will lay everything out. If the feds don't expand LSA or owner maintained category aircraft then GA is toast. Will be interesting to read POA posts then when no one is around to work on their aircraft or they'll be complaining about $200/hr rates as much as they do about $60 rates today. Supple and demand rules.

become dentists? ROFL. They wish. Just like airline pilots who wax poetic about becoming doctors, most dentists can become anything in aviation, the opposite is demonstrably not true. And I say that as someone with a stack of unused engineering degrees, who actually turned down medical school for this mickey mouse industry. And I truly belong here, cuz I'm too stupid to know I should have taken the medical school debt. :D

You know, in a way it is a good thing that we are left wanting for piston recreational mx. Gives just enough incentive for the FAA to finally cut us loose into the primary non-commercial category they scoffed at 5 years ago. ExABs are clearly able to not make the news to a higher degree than certified cans, APs can't afford to eat on the lack of volume, and we can't afford to overpay them for that lack of economy of scale. So it's really conveniently aligned for all parties just to cut it loose to de facto experimental rules for mx and modification.

Sometimes. But more on type of work and the market as a whole. All the trades (read physical, outdoor work) are going through the same trend. Unfortunately with A&Ps they are on the low end of the scale when compared to other paths. In my opinion, the independent GA AP/IA will be a thing of the past sooner than later. Insurance costs, at least in the rotorcraft side, will be doubling in the next couple years and will eventually trickle down. And with the global market pushing the limits on airline travel I think the next 10 years will lay everything out. If the feds don't expand LSA or owner maintained category aircraft then GA is toast. Will be interesting to read POA posts then when no one is around to work on their aircraft or they'll be complaining about $200/hr rates as much as they do about $60 rates today. Supple and demand rules.

The 200/hr wouldn't be a problem if these things had the "mx rate" of a newish car. A tomato tomáto thing really. Beside that, 100% agree with the rest of your post. It's time to cut us loose to enjoy owner-mx and mods, like the smug ricardos over in EXAB land. :D

become dentists? ROFL. They wish. Just like airline pilots who wax poetic about becoming doctors, most dentists can become anything in aviation, the opposite is demonstrably not true. And I say that as someone with a stack of unused engineering degrees, who actually turned down medical school for this mickey mouse industry. And I truly belong here, cuz I'm too stupid to know I should have taken the medical school debt. :D

You know, in a way it is a good thing that we are left wanting for piston recreational mx. Gives just enough incentive for the FAA to finally cut us loose into the primary non-commercial category they scoffed at 5 years ago. ExABs are clearly able to not make the news to a higher degree than certified cans, APs can't afford to eat on the lack of volume, and we can't afford to overpay them for that lack of economy of scale. So it's really conveniently aligned for all parties just to cut it loose to de facto experimental rules for mx and modification.

Boy...I wouldn't be dismissing your career choices so fast. That is hardly an accurate perception. I wish folks would stop perpetuating the idea that being a doctor (of any sort) automatically means lots of money/wealth. I say that as a son of a dentist who owned his own private practice for 25+ years and is now a dental professor who teaches dental students (Juniors and Seniors) at Midwestern University. My uncle (my dad's brother) is a very successful orthopedic surgeon (also possibly the most humble person I know). Does he make good money? Sure (although Uncle Sam takes his fair share). He has VERY little time. My dad on the other hand had a nice schedule when he owned his private practice, but he didn't make the gobs of money you might think he did. Both of them can tell you the state of medicine is drastically different than it was years ago. Private practices are slowly dwindling. Medical school is ridiculously expensive. Dental school is even more expensive than medical school by the way. My dad doesn't recommend it unless you either have the military pay for it or have some serious help (rich parents, etc). I'd pursue medical school if that was truly my passion. I wouldn't pursue it because I thought it would make me wealthy. Doctor's also statistically tend to live lifestyles that are above their means (but hey they look good in that BMW 7 Series). My Uncle drives a 20 year old Suburban. My dad drives a Honda Ridgeline (hate that thing btw).

Great story - my dad had a dental student who was a VP of Engineering over at Motorola. He came over from Vietnam when he was young with nothing but the shirt on his back. Found a sponsor in the US to help pay for his engineering degree at ASU. Worked his way up. Retired from engineering and wanted to become a dentist to serve his community in Vietnam. Became a dentist and did exactly that. I had lunch with him when I was going through engineering school. So hey, if you want to become a dentist, go do it!

If you want a conversation about medical school debt and the return on investment...well...you'd have a great conversation with my dad. My point is...it probably isn't exactly what you think it is. You own an Arrow...we own a Cherokee 140 :p I think your doing quite well!

But hey...if I can truly become anything in aviation as a dentist, then I might take you up on that advice! I get free medical school once my dad hits the 10 year mark at Midwestern ;)

Last edited:
Boy...I wouldn't be dismissing your career choices so fast. That is hardly an accurate perception. I wish folks would stop perpetuating the idea that being a doctor (of any sort) automatically means lots of money/wealth. I say that as a son of a dentist who owned his own private practice for 25+ years and is now a dental professor who teaches dental students (Juniors and Seniors) at Midwestern University. My uncle (my dad's brother) is a very successful orthopedic surgeon (also possibly the most humble person I know). Does he make good money? Sure (although Uncle Sam takes his fair share). He has VERY little time. My dad on the other hand had a nice schedule when he owned his private practice, but he didn't make the gobs of money you might think he did. Both of them can tell you the state of medicine is drastically different than it was years ago. Private practices are slowly dwindling. Medical school is ridiculously expensive. Dental school is even more expensive than medical school by the way. My dad doesn't recommend it unless you either have the military pay for it or have some serious help (rich parents, etc). I'd pursue medical school if that was truly my passion. I wouldn't pursue it because I thought it would make me wealthy. Doctor's also statistically tend to live lifestyles that are above their means (but hey they look good in that BMW 7 Series). My Uncle drives a 20 year old Suburban. My dad drives a Honda Ridgeline (hate that thing btw).

Great story - my dad had a dental student who was a VP of Engineering over at Motorola. He came over from Vietnam when he was young with nothing but the shirt on his back. Found a sponsor in the US to help pay for his engineering degree at ASU. Worked his way up. Retired from engineering and wanted to become a dentist to serve his community in Vietnam. Became a dentist and did exactly that. I had lunch with him when I was going through engineering school. So hey, if you want to become a dentist, go do it!

If you want a conversation about medical school debt and the return on investment...well...you'd have a great conversation with my dad. My point is...it probably isn't exactly what you think it is. You own an Archer...we own a Cherokee 140 :p I think your doing quite well!

But hey...if I can truly become anything in aviation as a dentist, then I might take you up on that advice! I get free medical school once my dad hits the 10 year mark at Midwestern ;)

It's all good, it was a tongue in cheek post for the most part. :goofy: I'm fully dialed in on the economics of med school; I did walk away from it for a reason after all.

My neighbor back two duty stations ago was a ER resident, who unapologetically picked that specialty for the sake of getting done the quickest and starting on the money repayment. It was underwhelming to listen to that dude's story, to say the least. He fully admitted he wasn't the smartest tool in shed, which he didn't need to allocute to. I certainly wasn't impressed by it, and he knew what my formative education was. His peer circle ultimately saw me as a "grey-collar" jet jockey, which was fine by me as the lack of professional respect was mutual.

Oh and I own an Archer only when I put the gear down. :p I fully intend on jumping out of the Arrow next year, since I want longer range and more useful for some of the bucket list missions I got planned for myself and the familia. I'm quite satisfied with my compensation as a military pilot. The civilian side compensation of this industry underwhelms me only insofar as the TAFB piece is concerned, compared to licking stamps at whichever civil servant alphabet soup desk job, which is where the whole thing about med school started from, but that's neither here nor there. I have 3 distinct regrets in my life, but not going to dental/medical school is actually not one of them. Like I said, I totally track the essence of your anecdotes.:thumbsup:

The 200/hr wouldn't be a problem if these things had the "mx rate" of a newish car.
Don't think it's not a possibility? Not my figures: there's approx 150,000 aviation mechanics, 750,000 auto mechs, and 280,000 diesel mechs in the US. Current avg. auto shop rates are $100/hr. Diesel shop $150/hr. Simple math. Since only an AP/IA needs a mandated federal certificate/authorization out of the group, $200/hr maybe the low end.

A trend I've noticed, no matter how many funny faces you place behind a statement, some one will over re-act.

Don't think it's not a possibility? Not my figures: there's approx 150,000 aviation mechanics, 750,000 auto mechs, and 280,000 diesel mechs in the US. Current avg. auto shop rates are $100/hr. Diesel shop $150/hr. Simple math. Since only an AP/IA needs a mandated federal certificate/authorization out of the group, $200/hr maybe the low end.

Your double negative comment is confusing. What's your point again?

I think I understand your comment to mean: less people qualified means better compensation. Sure, in a closed system. Our economy is more nuanced than that. How then does this "elite" group of uniquely qualified wizards end up making less than electromech auto mechanics who are more common? According to the math they (av mechs) should command more, no?

I ask that half in jest; it's a rhetorical proposition. We already know why that is. It's because I'd never support labor rates on my airplane at $200/hr to the degree labor hours that the airplane currently requires to maintain at current labor rates (an argument could be made my old AP was a rent seeker, but let's take that out for the sake of this argument). So I'd simply exit stage at 200/hr. Now what? I suspect so would most participants at my level of the avocation. This isn't conjecture, the market once again illustrates my point. I recognize this is a reality an AP may take personally. Cool, I could take regional FO compensation levels personally too, from a vocational POV. No need to of course, the market speaks anyways.

I think I understand you comment to mean: less people qualified means better compensation.
Not hardly. You're over thinking it. Less people performing the job, i.e., no more people obtaining A&Ps means no A&P at your airport or the next airport and so on. Simple supple and demand until the supply of A&Ps increase or the FAA mx requirements decrease.
Our economy is more nuanced than that.
Not in aviation it's not. You forget the implication of federal regulations. What's obvious is that you've never earned a living at turning a wrench on aircraft.

Not hardly. You're over thinking it. Less people performing the job, i.e., no more people obtaining A&Ps means no A&P at your airport or the next airport and so on. Simple supple and demand until the supply of A&Ps increase or the FAA mx requirements decrease.

Not in aviation it's not. You forget the implication of federal regulations. What's obvious is that you've never earned a living at turning a wrench on aircraft.

An ad hominem already? Nice.

Instead of getting indignant about others having an opinion, perhaps you could expand as to what you think keeps APs from making $200/hr minimum? Do you feel there is a demand in the piston market that supports that price point? I am of the opinion, based on my participation as a small piston owner who pays for the upkeep of an aircraft that doesn't yield revenue, that there is not a market for 200/hr piston-centric APs. It's not intended to be a personal affront to APs, it's just an opinion.

By all means expand on what you think is missing from the market dynamic, or what would be necessary to change in order to allow APs to command 200/hr that you think the market could support but the federal regulations or whatever else you're saying is standing in the way of it.

$200 an hour? You must be dreaming. Most airplane owners look at mechanics like a dog looks at a fireplug. I've got a nice stable of 25 or so owners that understand that I need to eat too, but for the majority of the folks I interview it is like I'm trying to finance my next Hawaii vacation from their busted airplane problem. Been doing this since I was 15 and for the last 60 years I've met all kinds. Some really great folks and some really truly cheating bastards. Look in the mirror and see which you might want to identify with. And yes, I've got my Masters in Semiconductor Physics and teach college for a real living, so I really don't need to get greasy, I do it because I enjoy it with nice folks who love aviation. Again, look in your mirror.

Jim

All A&P candidates check in here to see what the general aviation pilots/owner think of A&Ps, then run like hell, then become dentists to extract their pound of flesh. :) :)

Yep. Owners happily pay 90-100+ /hr for their car maintenance but complain about 70-80 /hr for their airplane.

Not at all. Considering I’ve had this debate 100s of times over the years, I try to cut to the chase by throwing out a statement similar to the one you highlighted. Your reaction was typical.
I am of the opinion, based on my participation as a small piston owner who pays for the upkeep of an aircraft that doesn't yield revenue, that there is not a market for 200/hr piston-centric APs.
And this opinion is classic. Yet most owners only apply that rationale to their aircraft and not to any other “non-revenue” situation within their world.
what would be necessary to change in order to allow APs to command 200/hr
Why not substitute “earn” for “command?” Now who is a little ad hom….

For starters, don’t get upset with your mechanic when he tries to charge the same amount for an aircraft oil change that your wife pays at the dealer for an oil change on her SUV. That will get us to at least the $100/hr level without any debate.

But in my opinion, aviation mx is more a personal destination than a “market” as you call it. The only thing that keeps it going are those people who want to work on aircraft, because it definitely is not for financial reasons.

So before those higher mx rates sneak up on you, why not sit down with your mechanic and learn a little about the aviation maintenance world. Then maybe you can ask him directly his thoughts on what is a fair “market” rate.

Back in the day, when I ran a motorcycle shop service department, we didn't want to work on motorcycles more than ten years old. In the GA A&P biz, you may work on things sixty years old. I cannot imagine it (well, I can, I owned a '65 Skyhawk for 15 years!)

Back in the day, when I ran a motorcycle shop service department, we didn't want to work on motorcycles more than ten years old. In the GA A&P biz, you may work on things sixty years old. I cannot imagine it (well, I can, I owned a '65 Skyhawk for 15 years!)
What’s the difference? Other than you actually can fix things on a 65 Skyhawk as opposed to throwing it out and buying a new one.

All the trades (read physical, outdoor work) are going through the same trend.

True. There are 6-figure trade jobs that remain unfilled because not enough workers. And that trend is going to continue as long as we, the country, put such a high value on college education and "professional" jobs and such a low value on trades (to the point of discouraging students from training/entering them). I'll stop there before I hed down the political sewer.

My 19 yo son decided he didn't want to go to school....and makes +$80K driving a trash truck....imagine that.

What’s the difference? Other than you actually can fix things on a 65 Skyhawk as opposed to throwing it out and buying a new one.
If I could fix the things on the Skyhawk I'd still own it.

Some years back I had lunch with a couple of students from an A&P program. They were working as shop helpers at the maintenance shop our plane was getting it's annual done at. None of them was planning to work in aviation, they had jobs lined up with various defense contractors. Apparently an A&P ticket is sort of a 'general purpose trained wrench' certificate for those manufacturers. A union job with benefits and a pension vs. working in a small business that is likely to go under during the next recession, can't fault them for seeing it for what it is.

After getting my A&P in 1985 I worked for a very short time in GA. I was then hired at McDonnell Douglas (which became Boeing) and never looked backed. I'm now retired with a pension, 401K and full medical, something I would have never received working in GA. My heart was in GA but the financial side figured out where the better future was. Looking back, I definitely made the right decision to go with McDonnell/Boeing. The work was easy, the pay was excellent, got all the Holidays off (including 10 days off at Christmas) and I was never named in a lawsuit for injuring or killing anyone in a plane crash.

If I was asked to give advice to a young A&P I would tell him to avoid GA and use your license to gain employment with a company that offers better pay and a future. I know I'm not helping out the guys that wrench in GA, but the reality of it is that it's a very under paid and under appreciated job. There are those that are so in into light planes that they will stay with GA no matter what is thrown at them. Something as little as installing an air cleaner or some other simple part incorrectly can cost an a entire family their lives and that's a possibility that follows you around everyday as an A&P in GA. You really have to love airplanes to make a life working as an A&P in GA and I'm glad that there are those that will endure the hardships to keep GA alive. My hats off to those mechanics.

After getting my A&P in 1985 I worked for a very short time in GA. I was then hired at McDonnell Douglas (which became Boeing) and never looked backed. I'm now retired with a pension, 401K and full medical, something I would have never received working in GA. My heart was in GA but the financial side figured out where the better future was. Looking back, I definitely made the right decision to go with McDonnell/Boeing. The work was easy, the pay was excellent, got all the Holidays off (including 10 days off at Christmas) and I was never named in a lawsuit for injuring or killing anyone in a plane crash.

If I was asked to give advice to a young A&P I would tell him to avoid GA and use your license to gain employment with a company that offers better pay and a future. I know I'm not helping out the guys that wrench in GA, but the reality of it is that it's a very under paid and under appreciated job. There are those that are so in into light planes that they will stay with GA no matter what is thrown at them. Something as little as installing an air cleaner or some other simple part incorrectly can cost an a entire family their lives and that's a possibility that follows you around everyday as an A&P in GA. You really have to love airplanes to make a life working as an A&P in GA and I'm glad that there are those that will endure the hardships to keep GA alive. My hats off to those mechanics.

Replace AP with "CFI" and I'm right there with ya. I too would enjoy flight instructing as a primary career, but it doesn't pay squat in the civilian side. I may dabble in it when I retire, if I don't give in to the airline devil lol.

It's because I'd never support labor rates on my airplane at $200/hr to the degree labor hours that the airplane currently requires to maintain at current labor rates
VS
I too would enjoy flight instructing as a primary career, but it doesn't pay squat in the civilian side.

A contradiction in terms, or the pot calling the kettle black? Perhaps if "small piston owners" would come to a consensus on overall costs and "support" the "market" as needed, maybe someone could make a full-time career as a CFI or A&P in the GA world. Time will tell.

I dont think there is a tight relationship between the shop-rate charged to the customer and whether A&P is a good career choice. I do think that many A&Ps undervalue their work compared with what you pay for other skilled trades.

With all the doom and gloom, I do have to say that the few people I know who made actual money in GA are mechanics who opened their own shops. Some did so with the fallback like national guard employment, but they became successful with a shop nevertheless. You wont make much money changing a couple of air-filters on some raggedy cessnas, if you can develop a specialty like restoration or helicopters, there is some money to be made. Of course, to get into the higher end stuff, you need to work in that area and gather some credentials. That will be a lot easier in the military or a large MRO than in your local A&P shop.

I may dabble in it when I retire, if I don't give in to the airline devil lol.

HsGE95L.jpg

I would venture a guess, in the near future there will be not A&P-IAs working as freelanced mechanics, they will all be working under the insurance umbrella of a FBO.

I dont think there is a tight relationship between the shop-rate charged to the customer and whether A&P is a good career choice.
If you throw location into the equation it tightens considerably. But you're correct the people who really want to be an A&P in GA do succeed at times. However, with people movement centered toward urban locations it is becoming harder for an independent AP/IA to set up a competitive operation, i.e, rates, in more rural areas. Ironically, as more people move closer to the city the more rural small airports are closed, i.e., GA.

A couple of my old customers who were doctors equated the issue of small town airports to small town doctors. No longer does every small town have a doctor nor every small airport have an AP/IA and CFI working in it. On the medical side NPs and PAs are handling some of this change, but the FAA is decades behind the curve on this. On one hand, they say their behind GA but then tie the other hand behind GA's back. I think LSA was an attempt to appease GA but the denial of a Primary Non-Com category kicked GA back into the ditch.

The next 7-10 years will decide GA's fate. That time frame puts the last of BBs, and those who remember an analog world, at or close to retirement age. The question I get asked the most now is: where can I get mx done when so and so retires? I used to have a recommend list of 14 in a 200nm range. Now I have 2 names.

VS

A contradiction in terms, or the pot calling the kettle black? Perhaps if "small piston owners" would come to a consensus on overall costs and "support" the "market" as needed, maybe someone could make a full-time career as a CFI or A&P in the GA world. Time will tell.

No not a contradiction. Cfi doesn't pay well because of lack of volume and oversupply of time builders. The difference is you dont hear me accosting pilot aspirants about their unwillingness to pay more because I would supposedly feel they owe me a higher wage. Stop projecting your lack of income potential on small airplane recreational owners already. AP s are not that special, hobbyist don't owe you a solvent living just like the world doesn't owe me the same as a civilian flight instructor.

Rather obvious.

I know of 4 IA's that died, or retired and no one will fill their shoes.
I'm now being call to do annuals as far away as Port Angles and Kent Wa. there isn't any one working the puget sound anymore.
am I am retiring.

Last edited:
If you throw location into the equation it tightens considerably. But you're correct the people who really want to be an A&P in GA do succeed at times. However, with people movement centered toward urban locations it is becoming harder for an independent AP/IA to set up a competitive operation, i.e, rates, in more rural areas. Ironically, as more people move closer to the city the more rural small airports are closed, i.e., GA.

A couple of my old customers who were doctors equated the issue of small town airports to small town doctors. No longer does every small town have a doctor nor every small airport have an AP/IA and CFI working in it. On the medical side NPs and PAs are handling some of this change, but the FAA is decades behind the curve on this. On one hand, they say their behind GA but then tie the other hand behind GA's back. I think LSA was an attempt to appease GA but the denial of a Primary Non-Com category kicked GA back into the ditch.

An just like medicine, the A&P trade suffers from anticompetitive practices and over-regulation. And it's not even the FAA which is at fault here. At the more attractive places to run a shop, it is often the airport management (or airport board) that tortures the maintenance provider until they call it quits.

Stop projecting your lack of income potential on small airplane recreational owners already.
Don’t believe I have? I thought the topic of this thread is AP/IA shortage. I simply opined on the reasons I believe are causing the shortage and some possible solutions based on my years of providing mx services. If you’re offended by the discussion I can’t help you there.

But if I was the owner of a TC’d aircraft and started to see every AP/IA within a 200 mile radius retire with no replacement, I’d begin to worry how I will be able to maintain my aircraft in the future rather than who owes what to who.

Around here a lot of IA have retired, shops closed and no new ones. Is it the money, the airlines that hire all the new A&P out of school or just a lack of people who want to work GA. We have a large FBO that works on Jets that is always looking for A&P full benefits good pay and still can't fill the spots.

Key word

'Liability'

My 19 yo son decided he didn't want to go to school....and makes +$80K driving a trash truck....imagine that.
Trucking is in high demand. My son is getting out of the Army this month and has his Class A CDL, with Hazmat endorsements. Has a gig lined up in Odessa Tx hauling oil. 75K to start. 100K in 3 years

Back