A&P currency

saltshaker80

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Saltshaker80
I got my A&P years ago through Embry Riddle after working on helicopters in the military. I didn’t use the license in any way in the years following.
I am now a pilot / aircraft owner with a commercial rating. I’ve been doing maintenance as permitted under part 43 as an owner operator.
Most maintenance and inspections, especially more complex jobs I would never consider doing, however there are some jobs I would consider myself to be qualified to perform.
As far as currency is concerned, since I have been doing regular maintenance as an owner/operator for several years now, Is my A&P license current?
I honestly never know which title to list when I make an oil change entry, A&P or Pilot.

Is my A&P license current?
FWIW: Technically, there are "recent experience" requirements in order to use your A&P certificate per Part 65.83. There is also no official tracking requirement for that experience. And to add, Part 65.81 comes into play as well when it comes to what tasks you can perform. However, understanding what governs the situation is the key point, but how you interpret things is up to you.;)

As you would normally do....get someone to "supervise" you on a new task. I did this when I was away from aviation for 15 years. After a few months of "supervision" you are good to go without "supervision".

The A&P cert never expires. Also....after two years of recent experience you are "entitled" to take the IA tests. I encourage you to do that.

§ 65.91 Inspection authorization.

(a) An application for an inspection authorization is made on a form and in a manner prescribed by the Administrator.
(b) An applicant who meets the requirements of this section is entitled to an inspection authorization.
(c) To be eligible for an inspection authorization, an applicant must—
(1) Hold a currently effective mechanic certificate with both an airframe rating and a powerplant rating, each of which is currently effective and has been in effect for a total of at least 3 years;
(2) Have been actively engaged, for at least the 2-year period before the date he applies, in maintaining aircraft certificated and maintained in accordance with this chapter;
(3) Have a fixed base of operations at which he may be located in person or by telephone during a normal working week but it need not be the place where he will exercise his inspection authority;
(4) Have available to him the equipment, facilities, and inspection data necessary to properly inspect airframes, powerplants, propellers, or any related part or appliance; and
(5) Pass a written test on his ability to inspect according to safety standards for returning aircraft to service after major repairs and major alterations and annual and progressive inspections performed under part 43 of this chapter.

65.83 Recent experience requirements.

A certificated mechanic may not exercise the privileges of his certificate and rating unless, within the preceding 24 months—
(a) The Administrator has found that he is able to do that work; or
(b) He has, for at least 6 months—
(1) Served as a mechanic under his certificate and rating;
(2) Technically supervised other mechanics
(3) Supervised, in an executive capacity, the maintenance or alteration of aircraft; or
(4) Been engaged in any combination of paragraph (b) (1), (2), or (3) of this section.

Last edited:
The A&P cert never expires. Also....after three years of recent experience you are "entitled" to take the IA tests. I encourage you to do that.

So someone who seldom uses their A&P, has a difficult time using and understanding regulations, you encourage them to get an Inspection Authorization?

Makes sense. :rolleyes:

It seems OP seldom “ used” their A & P in the past but now has a reason to use it going forward.

Finding a IA that will work with you may be key to this working. There will likely be times

an IA is required. One that only wants to inspect would be ideal for both. Obtaining the IA will

force OP to gain a much better understanding of the regs.

IMHO many folks get credentials without a clear vision of what doors may open to use them.

Obtaining the IA will

force OP to gain a much better understanding of the regs.

I disagree. The IA is simply a multiple choice written test that can be studied by using test questions until one reaches a passing grade, then sit for the test.

We are deluged with IA's now, and once the FAA made the test easy to pass and allowed anyone to take it, we now have an abundance of signature sellers with little to no knowledge of what's actually required of an IA.

IMHO some areas are “ deluged” and other areas “ deprived”.

I don’t think we should blame the Applicant for FAA’s testing policies though.

FYI I do recall taking several trips to the car to bring in all materials to take the test.

I disagree. The IA is simply a multiple choice written test that can be studied by using test questions until one reaches a passing grade, then sit for the test.

We are deluged with IA's now, and once the FAA made the test easy to pass and allowed anyone to take it, we now have an abundance of signature sellers with little to no knowledge of what's actually required of an IA.

The current system to earn an IA is akin to the “no child left behind” model that the school system adopted. Everyone now gets an IA, regardless of how little they know, because The only thing required to earn an IA now is the ability to memorize the answers to some multiple choice test questions.

Any decent mechanic should have enough knowledge to sit for the current test and pass it without studying because the bar is so low. What’s worse is there are a lot of people who think it is hard.

IMHO some areas are “ deluged” and other areas “ deprived”.

I don’t think we should blame the Applicant for FAA’s testing policies though.

FYI I do recall taking several trips to the car to bring in all materials to take the test.

We now have signature sellers and the "$200 annuals" which equals a lot of unairworthy airplanes flying around. So even in areas of as you describe are deprived of IA's, how is it admitting someone with little to no knowledge helping them?

Are you suggesting a return to the DAMI system?

Appointed IIRC.

How about $2.98 Annuals?

The price of a key.

that will require rule making.....read the regs pal. ;)

Not surprising at your level within the FAA you don't understand the difference and correlation of regulations and guidance.

Here's the whole regulation, not just what you cherry picked.

65.91 Inspection authorization.​

(a) An application for an inspection authorization is made on a form and in a manner prescribed by the Administrator.

(b) An applicant who meets the requirements of this section is entitled to an inspection authorization.

(c) To be eligible for an inspection authorization, an applicant must—
(1) Hold a currently effective mechanic certificate with both an airframe rating and a powerplant rating, each of which is currently effective and has been in effect for a total of at least 3 years;
(2) Have been actively engaged, for at least the 2-year period before the date he applies, in maintaining aircraft certificated and maintained in accordance with this chapter;
(3) Have a fixed base of operations at which he may be located in person or by telephone during a normal working week but it need not be the place where he will exercise his inspection authority;
(4) Have available to him the equipment, facilities, and inspection data necessary to properly inspect airframes, powerplants, propellers, or any related part or appliance; and
(5) Pass a written test on his ability to inspect according to safety standards for returning aircraft to service after major repairs and major alterations and annual and progressive inspections performed under part 43 of this chapter.

Notice number 5. The regulation does not specify what type of written is required, this is left to the Administrator through guidance. It also doesn't address the prerequisite to being administered the test, again this is left up to the Administrator through guidance.

Guidance does not require going through the rule making process. You should know this. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well then....at your level you should be able to make it happen. chop...chop. ;)

I read "A&P currency" and assumed the thread was about scotch. That's the currency my A&P prefers.

Some days I regret getting my IA*. Keeping a track of currency aside from my Instructor ratings is a nuisance. Liability keeps me from signing anyone's annual, including my own. I hold out hope that I'll be eligible for activity-based currency, then I'll be glad that I got it.

* - not enough to return it... yet.

Some days I regret getting my IA*. Keeping a track of currency aside from my Instructor ratings is a nuisance. Liability keeps me from signing anyone's annual, including my own. I hold out hope that I'll be eligible for activity-based currency, then I'll be glad that I got it.

* - not enough to return it... yet.
Some people think we don't know enough to have it..... ;)

Don't need to go back that far. Simply go back to having the ASI give the IA test after an interview at the FSDO.
It would definitely cull the herd of all the wannabees out there and get things more in order over time.
Are you aware that FSDOs are encouraging EAB builders to test for the A&P? My neighbor got an unsolicited signoff to take his general, airframe, and power plant tests. He was at the Baltimore FSDO registering his latest build of an RV-10....and the manager walked by over hearing the conversation....and had the PMI issue to take the tests. He was offered it....and he's taking the tests.

Are you aware that FSDOs are encouraging EAB builders to test for the A&P?
And?? My comment was about IA not A&P tests. Besides I’ve always been a fan of E/AB builders, provided they built an aircraft, qualifying for the A&P tests. Why not?

But at the same time I do not believe that E/AB builder once he gets his A&P should be able to obtain an IA simply from a multiple choice test 3 years later.

And?? My comment was about IA not A&P tests. Besides I’ve always been a fan of E/AB builders, provided they built an aircraft, qualifying for the A&P tests. Why not?

But at the same time I do not believe that E/AB builder once he gets his A&P should be able to obtain an IA simply from a multiple choice test 3 years later.
but.....they will. ;)

I’m not suggesting a return to the DAMI system but I also have concerns how “interviews“ would be handled.

Would this be done as per a National Standard?

Would each FSDO determine their own criteria?

Either method is not one size fits all .

Examples of criteria anyone?

I view IA Currency in a different light.

To me there are very few “ Full- Time“ IA’s.

IA Time is not:

Being an Inspector and signing under the Repair Station.

Cutting grass or plowing snow at the airport.

Running a Flight School.

Doing repairs such as fabric, sheet metal, overhauls etc that are A & P work.

Seems like the closest I have come to meeting a Full- Time IA called himself “ Famous _____”.

He did several hundred Annuals per year.

Oops. That was in addition to his airline job!

I did see several of his Log Entries.

In every case the aircraft was Not Airworthy!

Don't need to go back that far. Simply go back to having the ASI give the IA test after an interview at the FSDO.
It would definitely cull the herd of all the wannabees out there and get things more in order over time.
I have done it both ways. I first got my IA back in the 80's. It involved an interview and a 10 question, open book test, that focused on AD's, TCDS's, and various regs and AC's. It was a fairly challenging test. I let it lapse when a job had me 110% focused on flying. In the late aughts, I renewed the IA, this time with a multiple choice test which was largely A&P type questions. No question, IMHO, the way they did it back in the 80's was much more germane to actually doing the job of an IA.

So….the average guy can still get it wrong 30% of the time…..:p

Hey guys, OP here ✌️. Can I use my A&P to sign off on the map light AD and seat track Ad or what? Lol I just was curious if working on my own plane for a few years counts towards currency. I don’t intend on changing out cylinders or anything like that.

Can I use my A&P to sign off on the map light AD and seat track Ad or what?
The answer to that question and your original question were given in Posts 2 & 3. If you can not make that determination as an A&P cert holder then my suggestion would be to hold off using it until you can as it takes a similar exercise to perform the work.

Hey guys, OP here ✌️. Can I use my A&P to sign off on the map light AD and seat track Ad or what? Lol I just was curious if working on my own plane for a few years counts towards currency. I don’t intend on changing out cylinders or anything like that.

There is no better way to find out is to just do it, under supervision if you feel the need. (it sounds like it?) Nothing wrong with feeling the need.
I wish I was you and had my AP, working on it though.
I have a great AP who mentors me. He would always loosen the plastic and peak at my switch. I got a good look at it when I replaced the plastic.
IMG_0628.JPG

I put it all back since I still use the light for my panel at night. I installed new placards on the new plastic also.
Seat tracks...yup they get inspected and finally replaced by yours truly. You can see some of my blood, sweat and tears on the floor.
001_25.jpg

Cylinders? Sure let's pull them off and see what we got...
036_1.jpg

Got some time to waste...

Last edited:
There is no better way to find out is to just do it, under supervision if you feel the need. (it sounds like it?) Nothing wrong with feeling the need.
I wish I was you and had my AP, working on it though.
I have a great AP who mentors me. He would always loosen the plastic and peak at my switch. I got a good look at it when I replaced the plastic.
IMG_0628.JPG

I put it all back since I still use the light for my panel at night. I installed new placards on the new plastic also.
Seat tracks...yup they get inspected and finally replaced by yours truly. You can see some of my blood, sweat and tears on the floor.
001_25.jpg

Cylinders? Sure let's pull them off and see what we got...
036_1.jpg

Got some time to waste...
Your posts are always enjoyed.

I have a professional racing background similar to yours except in American open wheel and Bonneville LSR efforts. It's not a big deal for me to do just about anything on a 172 with appropriate supervision.

Your posts are always enjoyed.

I have a professional racing background similar to yours except in American open wheel and Bonneville LSR efforts. It's not a big deal for me to do just about anything on a 172 with appropriate supervision.
Shhhh.....just play along and let Doc and Bell think this is hard stuff.

The A&P certificate does not expire however the rules of what an A&P can and cannot do would preclude you from doing anything you weren't comfortable with.

Back