A Company I've Always Admired, Chick-fil-a.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscard88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
Last edited:
Kudos to the employees. It would be too easy for them to say "nu-uh" or is this double-time? But they didn't, they helped people.

Good to have a nice news story for a change!

One thing that's always struck me as disingenuous about the whole Sunday's off is that at least for the franchises around here, they're always chock full of contractors doing maintenance work on Sunday (have seen pressure washer's on what I'm taking to be a monthly cleaning of sidewalks, parking areas, etc, masons doing point up, sign contractors replacing/relamping the various lighted signs, vans for electricians, food service, refrigeration and HVAC contractors, etc. etc.) So the direct employees get the day, but contract work, that is necessary to keep the place going happens nearly every Sunday.

Personally, I think a can't miss opportunity exists to open franchises of "Fil-A-Chick" restaurants very near to Chick-Fil-A locations, serving a substantially similar menu and be open exclusively late nights and Sunday's.

That said, good on 'em to do what they did to help out what I'm sure were angry and hungry passengers at ATL.

B&H Photo in New York City is owned by a devout Jewish family and has always been closed for the sabbath, which I can respect. But the last time I checked, their Web site wouldn't take orders on the sabbath, which I think is a bit extreme. I mean, seriously, we're talking about machines. They don't need days of rest.

I still have to respect their convictions, though. They're most likely losing some amount of revenue from people who decide to order from Amazon rather than waiting for sunset on Saturday.

Rich

The thing I never understood about Chick-fil-A was that S Truett Cathy actually owed a cattle ranch.

One thing that's always struck me as disingenuous about the whole Sunday's off is that at least for the franchises around here, they're always chock full of contractors doing maintenance work on Sunday (have seen pressure washer's on what I'm taking to be a monthly cleaning of sidewalks, parking areas, etc, masons doing point up, sign contractors replacing/relamping the various lighted signs, vans for electricians, food service, refrigeration and HVAC contractors, etc. etc.) So the direct employees get the day, but contract work, that is necessary to keep the place going happens nearly every Sunday.
It's not disingenuous...it's business owners not imposing their religious convictions on other businesses.

Certainly another way to look at it. Are they not then imposing their beliefs on their own employees by that logic?
Free country. If the employees want to work on Sundays, they are free to work somewhere that is open on Sundays.

I suspect most, if not all of their employees are quite ok with having Sundays off.

It is only an imposition if they were forced to work on Sundays.

Last edited:
Imposing a day off from work? I tend to think of that more as a benefit than an imposition.

Rich

Only if your flavor of deity dictates that you take it easy on Sunday. Other versions call for days other than Sunday.

I like their sandwiches and generally receive above par service compared to other fast food joints. I have no gripe with them and think what they did in Atlanta was a good thing.

It's not disingenuous...it's business owners not imposing their religious convictions on other businesses.

Except that some require that their contractors work on Sunday. I have first hand experience with another chain in this regard.

Only if your flavor of deity dictates that you take it easy on Sunday. Other versions call for days other than Sunday.
Again, they are free to work wherever they like. I am sure Chic-Fil-A is very transparent in the interview process. It would be well known that they would not be working on Sundays.

The thing I never understood about Chick-fil-A was that S Truett Cathy actually owed a cattle ranch.
Where do you think all the cows in the advertising comes from.

Frankly, if Cathy doesn't want to open on Sunday, far from me to complain. You'd have a hard time getting a decent bagel or whatever in the Jewish section of many towns on Saturday either. My daughter and son-in-law live in an eruv. Still, you can't get pizza from the best pizza parlor there as they observe the (Jewish) sabbath.

Personally, I think a can't miss opportunity exists to open franchises of "Fil-A-Chick" restaurants very near to Chick-Fil-A locations, serving a substantially similar menu and be open exclusively late nights and Sunday's.

That said, good on 'em to do what they did to help out what I'm sure were angry and hungry passengers at ATL.
A buddy of mine already had your idea, and went one better. He wants to make a bunch of chicken sandwich trucks and park them in the chic fil a parking lot on Sunday's.

There’s lots of other places to get chicken on Sunday or any day for that matter.

Agree, but it's humorous how many times me and my wife are riding around running errands or on our way back home from an out of town weekend on a Sunday, when lunch time hits and we say "chick fil a sounds good... Oh wait..."

I guess our godless heathen brains can't wrap around closing a perfectly good profit machine on the one day that we're [apparently] most likely to be riding around craving a fast chicken sandwich.

Good for them. I've honestly never been a huge fan of their chicken, but every time I've been to one of their stores, the service is great and they are always very friendly. I respect them for being closed on Sundays when they could probably make whole bunch more money doing so. Great to see them helping out when there is an opportunity to serve a community.

Agree, but it's humorous how many times me and my wife are riding around running errands or on our way back home from an out of town weekend on a Sunday, when lunch time hits and we say "chick fil a sounds good... Oh wait..."

I guess our godless heathen brains can't wrap around closing a perfectly good profit machine on the one day that we're [apparently] most likely to be riding around craving a fast chicken sandwich.
There are many restaurants that are closed on Mondays, although they are mostly independently owned. Nothing wrong with closing for a day, if they can afford it.

I have the same problem. I seem to only ever be in town on Sundays so getting Chick-fil-a is a very rare treat.

The part about using contractors may seem disingenuous but I don’t see how it actually is. Their conscience governs their actions and the business they run. Whether or not the contractors choose to operate on Sundays is their decision. If they decided to force a contractor to work on a day they regarded as Sacred, then that would be disingenuous. The same could be said about Christians who go out to eat on Sundays. Christianity sees itself as strangers dwelling in a foreign land. There is no inherent obligation to get the natives to follow their rules.

Y'all know McDonalds imitated their chicken sandwich right? I don't know if McDees still offers it or not, but I doubt it has hurt Chick's sales. Down here there are what seems like as many chicken restaurants, chains & independent, as there are Mexican restaurants. But Chick still does a very robust business.

Y'all know McDonalds imitated their chicken sandwich right? I don't know if McDees still offers it or not, but I doubt it has hurt Chick's sales. Down here there are what seems like as many chicken restaurants, chains & independent, as there are Mexican restaurants. But Chick still does a very robust business.

Don't you drag my favorite, independent Mexican joints into this! They're open every day . . . .

Being closed on Sunday has always been part of Chick-Fil-A's business plan, although the reason for it has now been softened to be more politically correct.

I may have heard it wrong. I thought Chick fil a was closed on Sundays so when the managers hit on the young chicks they could say "Wanna get together Sunday?" and the chicks couldn't say "Sorry, I have to work."

I never had a problem telling employers I will be taking either Sunday morning or Sunday evening off to go to church. Not one ever refused me, and most gave me Sundays off.

I may have heard it wrong. I thought Chick fil a was closed on Sundays so when the managers hit on the young chicks they could say "Wanna get together Sunday?" and the chicks couldn't say "Sorry, I have to work."
Sigh.

LOL!

Best reply on this thread.

I'm old enough to remember the blue law we had in town when I was a kid. Almost no one was open on Sundays.

I've read about several good deeds the Chik-fil-A franchises have done on their day off. I enjoy stories like those.

As for them being closed on Sundays, like Hobby Lobby, I completely understand. As for their food, it's not my thing, but I know people love it. Funny ads though.

One thing that's always struck me as disingenuous about the whole Sunday's off is that at least for the franchises around here, they're always chock full of contractors doing maintenance work on Sunday (have seen pressure washer's on what I'm taking to be a monthly cleaning of sidewalks, parking areas, etc, masons doing point up, sign contractors replacing/relamping the various lighted signs, vans for electricians, food service, refrigeration and HVAC contractors, etc. etc.) So the direct employees get the day, but contract work, that is necessary to keep the place going happens nearly every Sunday..

Not only that, but I have seen some of their customers eat on Sunday, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back