8130 Required for Installation of 430W?

Adam Hicks

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
N7096W
Hi all,

I have purchased a 430W from a private seller that did not have an 8130 or any documentation with the unit. The shop that is doing my install says I have to have an 8130 performed before they can sign off on the inspection. This unit is being coupled to a G5 HSI and is feeding my location to a 330ES for the ADS-B out requirment.

They have priced sending the unit to Garmin for inspection at $960. Do I have to have that done and is there a cheaper route if so?

Thanks!

What you are learning (the hard way it seems) is that shops have standards. They may be doing it to cover themselves so they don’t get caught in a blame game when it doesn’t work. Or it could be that the shop is a repair station and they need the paperwork to legally sign it off.

A guy local to me ran into the same problem when supplying his own used control surfaces. The repair station was only able to sign off the annual with discrepancies then he got an independent mechanic to install and sign off the replacement parts.

What I’m curious about is why the installing shop can’t bench test the unit and provide their own 8130 for it?

The shop that is doing my install says I have to have an 8130 performed before they can sign off on the inspection
Is the shop a Repair Station? If so, there is a section in their approved manual on parts tracking which requires the paperwork trail. A standalone mechanic may decide to install it without one but that would be up to them.

They are, which is why I don’t understand why they have to send to Garmin rather than bench testing themselves.

Thanks for the responses.

They are, which is why I don’t understand why they have to send to Garmin rather than bench testing themselves.

Thanks for the responses.

It may just be their policy or how they are required to do things. I’d say there isn’t much you can do about it if you’re going to have them do the work.

When I pulled out my 530W, I had an 8130 inspection/tag so it would be easier to sell and give the buyer peace-of-mind. I think I paid about $200 so $960 seems crazy.

News to me an 8130 is required. Shop policy?
More like part of the shop's Repair Station Manual. Repair Stations must have a Receiving Procedure in the QCM portion for the acceptance and tracking of incoming articles (parts) which normally requires documentation like a 8130-3. A non-RS shop would not have that oversight requirement.

Maybe it isn't on their capabilities list.
It's not on anybody's capabilities list other than Garmin. Other than swapping the memory battery, there are no field serviceability to the 430.

More like part of the shop's Repair Station Manual. Repair Stations must have a Receiving Procedure in the QCM portion for the acceptance and tracking of incoming articles (parts) which normally requires documentation like a 8130-3. A non-RS shop would not have that oversight requirement.

Thanks! That's really helpful and makes sense.

Is the shop a Repair Station? If so, there is a section in their approved manual on parts tracking which requires the paperwork trail. A standalone mechanic may decide to install it without one but that would be up to them.
They don't need an 8130-3 for that, the paper trail starts with them, they can prove that this unit is what they say it is, they are good to return it to service, it's hard to have a unapproved Garmin, specially when they have data tags.
In this case they are doing CYA thing in case it doesn't work after they install it.
When they are a CRS, they should have ability to run a bench test, and prove one way or the other if it is good to install.
If they can't bench test it, go somewhere else !

the paper trail starts with them
Not quite buckaroo. It obvious you have no direct experience with CRS operations. All incoming articles into a CRS must/shall be received in accordance with the CRS QCM which includes having the appropriate documents. An 8130-3 is only one type. Trust me.

they are good to return it to service
When they are a CRS, they should have ability to run a bench test,
Only if the item is listed in their Rating/Approved Capabilities List.

If they can't bench test it, go somewhere else !
As confirmed above, where would he go if no CRS other than Garmin has it listed? As I mentioned, he can take it to a non-CRS shop, or maybe he can bring it to your hangar and you can put it in. An AP/IA doesn't technically need an 8130 if they determine the part is airworthy.

Not quite buckaroo. It obvious you have no direct experience with CRS operations. All incoming articles into a CRS must/shall be received in accordance with the CRS QCM which includes having the appropriate documents. An 8130-3 is only one type. Trust me.

Only if the item is listed in their Rating/Approved Capabilities List.

As confirmed above, where would he go if no CRS other than Garmin has it listed? As I mentioned, he can take it to a non-CRS shop, or maybe he can bring it to your hangar and you can put it in. An AP/IA doesn't technically need an 8130 if they determine the part is airworthy.

Yer right I have never seen a Avionics CRS that didn't trust the data tag on the equipment as proof of what the equipment is.
Plus on the equipment in question Garmin would be the manufacturer and 43.7
says
(d) A manufacturer may approve for return to service any aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, appliance, or component part which that manufacturer has worked on under §43.3(j). However, except for minor alterations, the work must have been done in accordance with technical data approved by the Administrator.

The manufacturer is not treated the same as a CRS.

I understand most of the implications of what’s been said about the above. At the end of the day, the shop I’m using said they didn’t have the capability. I found a CRS that does, and I’m sending to them to have the unit tagged.

Thanks for everyone’s input.

No -3 is needed. The installer can determine airworthiness of the equipment. A simple functional check is what is needed and that will occur during the flight checkout.

I understand most of the implications of what’s been said about the above. At the end of the day, the shop I’m using said they didn’t have the capability. I found a CRS that does, and I’m sending to them to have the unit tagged.

Thanks for everyone’s input.
Smart. Hope you haven't paid for it until you know if it works.

I have. I could pay the money for a Garmin factory repair and still be OK since I got such a good deal on it. Hoping it checks out and I just have to pay the second shop for the inspection. I've already had it in a tray and know that it powers up and all is functional. Just can't verify that it transmits or received VHF.

I have. I could pay the money for a Garmin factory repair and still be OK since I got such a good deal on it. Hoping it checks out and I just have to pay the second shop for the inspection. I've already had it in a tray and know that it powers up and all is functional. Just can't verify that it transmits or received VHF.
Hope it works for ya.

Ask the guy you bought it from to get a yellow tag from his avionics guy with the part number and serial number of your unit. Have them mark it "servicable" or "working as removed". This should satisfy the paper trail.

Adam,
Did this work out? How much did the inspection end up costing?

Yes it did. The shop that actually performed the inspection also updated my software and databases as the unit had come from overseas. Total cost for the tag and updates was $452. Seemed very reasonable compared to sending it to Garmin for an AMU.

Back