$800 for a flight review

I’m not sure you can live in the Bay Area for <$100k/yr. No idea why anyone not in tech would live anywhere near there.

I also don’t understand why any businesses base themselves there. They need to pay huge wages and CA is just about the most business unfriendly juristiction there is.

I know the “common folk” hate all the tech employees driving up costs. They should all leave. People would panic when there’s nobody to make their lattes.

There are much cheaper options in the San Jose area. Check Magnum at E16 San Martin, $115 for 172N and $130 for 2 hours CFI time.

Advantage is expensive too out off Palo Alto. Advantage CFI are freelancers and charge what the rich Silicon Valley stock option kings will pay.

Their rates are $110 for the CFI and $185 for a C172 G1000.
Wow.. I nearly fell off my chair reading that. That is absurd. Sorry dude, or dudette.. that's crazy expensive though. And we wondered in the other threads why GA is dying. So if you want to get your private pilot license, and you're an ace student who can do it in 40 hrs.. then you are looking at a minimum of $12K. ouch. By the time you get your IR you're $30K in the hole.

I think these flight schools have free reign to just crank up their fees because they know there is a pilot shortage for the airlines and that many (most, all?) students (foreign and domestic) aren't actually paying for the education themselves but either took out a hefty loan or have someone else fitting the bill

..and yeah, like someone else says, the school has to pay back that half a million dollars Skyhawk.

I know the “common folk” hate all the tech employees driving up costs. They should all leave. People would panic when there’s nobody to make their lattes.
That could be true.. but if the tech companies started leaving one by one those "common folk" would be inordinately worse off without those big corporations paying those massive fines, taxes, etc., whatever you want to call them. Hell.. even though Apple alone paid $855 million in income state taxes in 2014 the mayor of Cupertino still wanted them to pony up more in 2016.. nevermind that Apple gives jobs directly to 23,400 people in Cupertino, and at an average salary (according to Indeed, this sounds low) of $150K that means Apple is in some way shape or form putting $4.365 BILLION into the Cupertino economy (doesn't include utilities, etc., that Apple pays, among I'm sure other state and local fees, etc.). But again, the mayor thought Apple still wasn't paying their fair share:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/may/05/apple-taxes-cupertino-mayor-infrastructure-plan

The article writes
"Convincing local politicians to battle Apple is hard, Chang said. He recently proposed that Apple...should give $100m to improve city infrastructure. To move on the proposal, Chang only needed to get a single vote ‘yes’ among the three other eligible council members. He failed to get that vote."
^^my question is, if they need an extra $100m then what happeend to the $855m they already paid?

Our flight school flight rents 172s for $150/hr, $50/hr for CFI. So if you're fairly proficient and knock ground and flight out in an hour each you're looking at $250 here. I'm sure some CFIs though will charge more but I don't.

Not soliciting, but I’ve been charging $95 for Flight Reviews when the pilot provides their own plane.

That’s a flat rate and applies even if we spend a little extra in the air.

Bear in mind I do it as a hobby. Were it my living, I might have to charge more.

Around here, (KRVS) I typically give 153 or 156 per hour for a G1000. The 156 isnt for an early g1000 either. It is a maybe two year old plane. It was a 2014 Cessna factory demo plane.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

An FR (required annually for our club) would be about $197 here. $50/hr x 2 for the CFI (that's what my CFII charges, anyway) and $97/hr wet for the 172N with Penn Yan 180hp and 430W in the panel. Save about $10 if you do the review in the other 172 (/A). $800? No way!

Back