787 Extreme Takeoff and More

Take off is almost vertical.......:yes:

IMPRESSIVE for sure...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Neat, it seemed like the first notch of flaps went in and out a couple of times. Would that be automated when you get into a certain operational parameter, or would that be coordinated by the crew?

Telephoto lens artifact.

Even given that, the deck angle of a light airliner carrying an hour's worth of fuel is mighty impressive. I got to ride a white tail test in an MD-11 with their test pilot, climb attitudes were in the "holy ****ing ****" range to keep from busting speed before 10,000'.

Even given that, the deck angle of a light airliner carrying an hour's worth of fuel is mighty impressive. I got to ride a white tail test in an MD-11 with their test pilot, climb attitudes were in the "holy ****ing ****" range to keep from busting speed before 10,000'.

They didn't have thrust control??:dunno: :rolleyes:

They didn't have thrust control??:dunno: :rolleyes:

That was not in my realm to question, I got invited along on a test flight with their chief test pilot. It did not cross my mind to question the procedure in use. I assumed it was part of the protocol.

That was not in my realm to question, I got invited along on a test flight with their chief test pilot. It did not cross my mind to question the procedure in use. I assumed it was part of the protocol.

No.

That's what the thrust levers are for. :rolleyes2: Or if he was using auto thrust it would manage thrust to hold a preselected airspeed.

Sorry, I find your little tale just more
bsflag_zpsd6facc63.gif

Maximum thrust takeoff will be from start of takeoff to third segment. There is no reason (or technique) to use max thrust all the way to 10,000 feet.

Then it was likely an auto thrust configuration as once the levers went forward, they did not come back until transition out of climb. Regardless the deck angle was "holy ****ing ****" impressive until he put the nose down through 10,000'.

Then it was likely an auto thrust configuration as once the levers went forward, they did not come back until transition out of climb. Regardless the deck angle was "holy ****ing ****" impressive until he put the nose down through 10,000'.

No, after third segment the aircraft will go to climb thrust, and if pitch or speed is being exceeded the thrust is reduced.

Not sure what the max pitch limit of a -11 is, but most transports are in the 20 degree range.

No, after third segment the aircraft will go to climb thrust, and if pitch or speed is being exceeded the thrust is reduced.

Not sure what the max pitch limit of a -11 is, but most transports are in the 20 degree range.

Oh no, we were well beyond 20°, well beyond. We were 20° before the gear came up.

It's great what big engines and light weights can do for a takeoff. That and a good AOA computer display.

Neat, it seemed like the first notch of flaps went in and out a couple of times. Would that be automated when you get into a certain operational parameter, or would that be coordinated by the crew?

Those are called Cruise Flaps. Part of the Gust Suppression System. Works just like the underwater stabilizers on your big yachts.

Zoom climb in an airliner. Ironic that it was wearing the colors of Vietnam Airlines.

Not seeing the irony. It's not 1975 anymore. If that's what you think Vietnam is like, you won't recognize it.

It's one of the better local airlines. I'll take them over Jet Star any day of of the week. They still have a fair amount of Western pilots flying for them.

Awesome stuff. I got to fly on a DAL 777 on it's first day (second flight) from ATL to MCO with a nearly empty plane (maybe 50-60 pax?). The Captain came on and said "I see that many of you are Medallions that are used to flying, and this is a brand new airplane -- first day in service! -- so, if you'll indulge us up here on the flight deck, we're going to stretch her legs a little."

Lined up, rolled on the thrust and ZOOM we came off the deck in what felt like about 25 feet (obviously longer, but dang!). Pitched up to what felt like 45 degrees or so and I swear the 10k bell was like two minutes later! I know for sure these aren't accurate numbers, so don't flame me, but I was suitably impressed with what a lightly burdened 777 could do when the crew gave it some stick!

Awesome stuff. I got to fly on a DAL 777 on it's first day (second flight) from ATL to MCO with a nearly empty plane (maybe 50-60 pax?). The Captain came on and said "I see that many of you are Medallions that are used to flying, and this is a brand new airplane -- first day in service! -- so, if you'll indulge us up here on the flight deck, we're going to stretch her legs a little."

Lined up, rolled on the thrust and ZOOM we came off the deck in what felt like about 25 feet (obviously longer, but dang!). Pitched up to what felt like 45 degrees or so and I swear the 10k bell was like two minutes later! I know for sure these aren't accurate numbers, so don't flame me, but I was suitably impressed with what a lightly burdened 777 could do when the crew gave it some stick!

No doubt lightly loaded the aircraft will perform. It wouldn't be unreasonable to see the VSI peg over +6000fpm climb (top of scale) and be through 10k very shortly.

So, in the video, did the plane exceed 20 degrees, or do you think it just looked steeper than it was due to the angle of the camera?

So, in the video, did the plane exceed 20 degrees, or do you think it just looked steeper than it was due to the angle of the camera?

My opinion...........

From the looks of the ground behind the plane ,my guess is 60 -70 degrees nose up climb...

My opinion...........

From the looks of the ground behind the plane ,my guess is 60 -70 degrees nose up climb...

Nothing like that. The video was shot from a helo that was probably, probably close to a mile away.

He probably pitched higher than normal for a few seconds, but I think it's more camera angle.

I don't think the FBW logic will allow a pitch much over 30 degrees, but I don't have any experience with the 787.

Last edited:
How about this pitch angle? Maybe close to 30? I knew these airplanes were built here and this one is taking off on its maiden flight, never to return. But I didn't quite expect to see this. Standing at the end of a 5300' runway.

2005-07-06%2Bat%2B13-47-40.jpg

The video just shows a zoom climb.

Empty weight of a 787-9 is more than the thrust of the engines. More than double the thrust, in fact. I can't find the empty weight of the new 787-10, but I'd guess it is similarly a lot more than the thrust.

So a 787 cannot climb vertically without slowing down. When it climbs at more than about a 30 degree angle, it does so by slowing down, i.e., converting kinetic energy into potential energy.

Yep, one of my model airplanes is a 35% extra that weighs 28lbs and has about 60 lbs of thrust. It will go straight up almost as fast as level at WOT.:)

Back