787 Extreme Takeoff and More

The pilot is Van Chaney. A good ole boy from Tupelo, MS and a Mississippi State Bulldog. Hell of a glider pilot as well.

Well, you can see the climb attitude angle on the primary flight display on the cockpit view. Maybe someone who knows the system can comment on exactly what deck angle is shown, but it sure isn't a vertical climb - there is still plenty of brown on the bottom of the display ;-).

Boeing put a multi view video on Youtube for that takeoff:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Boeing/ChooseYourView

Not sure if a video like the ChooseYourView can be embedded since it comprises multiple videos.

Shows the same takeoff from inside the cockpit.

-Brian

Well, you can see the climb attitude angle on the primary flight display on the cockpit view. Maybe someone who knows the system can comment on exactly what deck angle is shown, but it sure isn't a vertical climb - there is still plenty of brown on the bottom of the display ;-).

I can't find the views mentioned here. Any better guidance as to where to find them?

He probably pitched higher than normal for a few seconds, but I. Honk it's more camera angle.

I don't think the FBW logic will allow a pitch much over 30 degrees, but I don't have any experience with the 787.

Unlike the Airbus in normal law, a Boeing CAN be flown past certain limits. It will resist you but it won't prevent you from doing it.

For that matter an Airbus will also let you go past programmed limits in Alternate Law. Or is that Direct Law? Been too long. I can't remember which for sure.

I can't find the views mentioned here. Any better guidance as to where to find them?

https://www.youtube.com/user/Boeing/ChooseYourView...

There are 3 or four different views embedded.. Never seen a U tube do this, but the angle from the cockpit is there... I looked at it a few times and my guess is, tricky editing installed another flight to prevent showing the actual pitch angle of the original video..... I still say, it was WAY past 30 degrees nose up....:yes::yes:

Sigh. When I open that link I see a whole bunch of different video links, none that remotely look like what you are describing. Can you give me a title ore something else to go on?

Sigh. When I open that link I see a whole bunch of different video links, none that remotely look like what you are describing. Can you give me a title ore something else to go on?

it is view #2.......

It takes a few seconds to load since U tube is stuffing several videos into one hot link,,,

...my guess is, tricky editing installed another flight to prevent showing the actual pitch angle of the original video..... I still say, it was WAY past 30 degrees nose up....:yes::yes:
facepalm.jpg

Nauga,
and one behind every tree

No, after third segment the aircraft will go to climb thrust, and if pitch or speed is being exceeded the thrust is reduced.

Not sure what the max pitch limit of a -11 is, but most transports are in the 20 degree range.

20 degrees sticks in my mind. The MD-11 will out climb to cabin when light. We used cruise thrust after takeoff when light. If there was a test pilot, maybe he did something different. :dunno:

20 degrees sticks in my mind. The MD-11 will out climb to cabin when light. We used cruise thrust after takeoff when light. If there was a test pilot, maybe he did something different. :dunno:

You can bet your ass he did a "non standard" take off...;););)

it is view #2.......

It takes a few seconds to load since U tube is stuffing several videos into one hot link,,,

I need a better title or a better link, Ben, because the link you posted has a whole bunch of links to choose from. None of which makes any sense.

I need a better title or a better link, Ben, because the link you posted has a whole bunch of links to choose from. None of which makes any sense.

Greg.. for my a U tube video comes up, on the right side of the screen is 3 embedded videos to pick from.. The cockpit view in #2... At least that is what happens on my home computer,, possibly I pads and other stuff loads differently.:dunno::dunno::dunno::confused:

You can bet your ass he did a "non standard" take off...;););)
You can bet your own ass on anything you'd like. I'll bet my ass that there were at least two experimental test pilots in the cockpit in that video and that this was not the first time they had flown the routine, nor did they develop it without supervision and scrutiny - including the flight in question.

But hey, maybe I'm just part of the cabal.

Nauga,
who will donate his winnings to charity - if they accept asses

Back