750/255 or 750/650 - How much do you use your 650?

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I have pulled out my GNS530W and KX155. In their place I have bought a GTN750 and am now deciding on the second radio. I had planned on a GNC255 Nav/Com, but a few local pilots are suggesting a GTN650.

For those of you that have a 750/650 combo, how much do you use the 650 for something other than a simple Nav/Com radio?

I can see displaying fuel flow on it is useful as is the Default Nav screen.

Thoughts? It is a $6K difference in price.

Is this going to be a IMC plane?
If so I'd go dual /G boxes with cross fill
If it's just VFR, doesn't matter, could also get away with one radio.

Yes, it is IFR. I am Reno based so quite often when we have IMC conditions, it is not flyable because of thunderstorms or snow/ice. However, we do fly to Michigan every year and are planning to buy a second home there (SE Michigan) for summers. So there will end up being a fair bit of MidWest flying too.

Go big or go home

In that case, I'd go dual /G nav coms with cross fill, top is your moving map, bottom one functions like a FMS/flight plan, if one gues t/u you're still in the /G game.

Dual /g boxes? Good Lord I guess I am dangerous with my single 430 and tablet lol. It's a fregging cherokee, he can refile the whole thing in the air with a hand microphone and a Morse code machine before the thing can build enough airpseed to overfly the next point or hit anything hard enough to kill him. He be alright .....;):D

I have GTN650 and 255, I used FS 210 to turn my iPad into a poor mans MFD. I have a KI209 connected to the 255, so I can still do a ILS approach if my 650/HSI went TU. I feel that's more than sufficient.

I wish I had an HSI, but it just isn't worth it to get a mechanical one. Maybe a G5 if it works well with the autopilot after Gamin releases their new box.

SixK is a lot for a backup. It'd be nice but my priorities are different. I use uncertified backups. YMWV.

SixK is a lot for a backup. It'd be nice but my priorities are different. I use uncertified backups. YMWV.
Like? I am a long way from getting a backup gps nav com, but interested to learn about less expensive backups

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Like? I am a long way from getting a backup gps nav com, but interested to learn about less expensive backups

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Just a tablet with flight plan go and an Ilevel gps/ADHRS.

The bigger, more expensive one is better. Its up to you if its worth the extra money. They both do the same thing I think.

Is there anything the 750 can do that the 650 cant?

The bigger, more expensive one is better. Its up to you if its worth the extra money. They both do the same thing I think.

Is there anything the 750 can do that the 650 cant?

I think the only notable difference is the larger 750 screen can control the optional remote mount audio panel and the remote mount transponder, if one desires that configuration; I don't believe the 650 has enough real estate for Garmin to offer that option.

I have pulled out my GNS530W and KX155. In their place I have bought a GTN750 and am now deciding on the second radio. I had planned on a GNC255 Nav/Com, but a few local pilots are suggesting a GTN650.

For those of you that have a 750/650 combo, how much do you use the 650 for something other than a simple Nav/Com radio?

I can see displaying fuel flow on it is useful as is the Default Nav screen.

Thoughts? It is a $6K difference in price.

Think through what you would do if you were IFR in IMC and the 750 failed. That should guide how much redundancy you, and only you, can really decide is necessary. The +650 in a Dakota seems like a lot of panel to me, but only you know the flying you do and what is prudent.

I presume you realize the 750 could crossfill to the 530W you just removed?

What is cross filling?

Think through what you would do if you were IFR in IMC and the 750 failed. That should guide how much redundancy you, and only you, can really decide is necessary. The +650 in a Dakota seems like a lot of panel to me, but only you know the flying you do and what is prudent.

I presume you realize the 750 could crossfill to the 530W you just removed?

Yes, but I can basically trade the 530W for a 650 and get a modern radio. I have the room for a 650, and am trying to make a need/want decision.

What is cross filling?

Putting the flight plan in the 750 and having it auto-magically appear in a second radio too.

There are, by strict definition, no "wants" in GA :fingerwag:, only needs. :idea: :devil:

And right now, after seeing them up close and test fitting one at OSH, I really, really need a CirrusJet. :sigh:

There are, by strict definition, no "wants" in GA :fingerwag:, only needs. :idea: :devil:

And right now, after seeing them up close and test fitting one at OSH, I really, really need a CirrusJet. :sigh:

I am allowed to do anything with the airplane as long as I buy my wife a summer home in Michigan.

I am allowed to do anything with the airplane as long as I buy my wife a summer home in Michigan.

Take advantage of it for the brief interval that will last and order the 650! The plane is "cheap" at this point in your life. :D Here's how it may play out though...

Years ago, at her unrelenting insistence, I bought my wife a largish chunk of undeveloped Rocky Mtn frontrange foothills pasture as horses are her obsession; she breeds, raises and trains them. Just before I wrote the cheque I told her this utterly financially irresponsible purchase should substitute for and get me off the hook for all future Anniversary and birthday gifts. She nodded in what I took as agreement. That was stupid of me.

That didn't really work too well when I tried to enforce it at the next birthday. To make amends for my foolish oversight I then had to construct a house on the property, from which I do not expect to ever be able to extract her no matter how compelling the travel or lifestyle relocation suggestion...

Take advantage of it for the brief interval that will last and order the 650! The plane is "cheap" at this point in your life. :D Here's how it may play out though...

When I got into airplanes, she said "You know, you picked the most expensive hobby there is." Immediately, and without thinking, I denied that it was such. When asked to name more expensive ones, I said "Thoroughbred horses, race cars and helicopters." Whenever she wants something, I always get, 'You bought an airplane." :D

What will a Garmin 750 Do above and beyond a Avidyne 540? The 540 is a lot easier to work with than the Garmin 530! We have had some issues with the ADS B in traffic display, other than that pretty happy with the 540 install.

I think the only notable difference is the larger 750 screen can control the optional remote mount audio panel and the remote mount transponder, if one desires that configuration; I don't believe the 650 has enough real estate for Garmin to offer that option.

You can remote control those from the 650. You lose a customizable data block for each.

Personally if there's room for the full faceplate one, I don't see the point of the remote mount transponder. A screen failure on the 750 or 650 means you also have a transponder failure as a bonus until the GPS comes back from Garmin. If you live under a 30 mile ring and need the transponder to fly, a GPS failure grounds the airplane, which could have had a W&B change noted and been flying without the GPS while it's away at the gadget spa.

For IFR?!
The 255 and glide slope indicator is about $6K...I fly IFR, so being able to get back on ground is a priority for me.

Last edited:
For IFR?!
The 255 and glide slope indicator is about $6K...I fly IFR, so being able to get back on ground is a priority for me.
Well aren't you just special. Read the OP question. It was 650 or 255. So yes, get the 255 and use a tablet for gps back up.

The 650 cannot remote control an audio panel, but can remote transponders.

IMHO since you aren't going to be regularly IMC there really isn't a need for the 650 in addition to a 750. Depending on what you want to spend on data to keep them update a lone GTN may make more sense than dual GTN.

Out of warranty repair flat rates published as of this morning is $800 for the 225 and $900 for the 650 so very little savings should either one require it.

Right now the Garmin G5 flight displays and (speculation) the new Garmin GFC500 autopilot will only track one radio so those would be hooked to the 750 and cannot support additional radios. I'm not sure if you are interested in those or not but that might impact my decision.

I'd say the decision is going boil down to simple personal preference and factors such as resale value.

Good luck, I think we are all eager to see the final outcome.

What will a Garmin 750 Do above and beyond a Avidyne 540? The 540 is a lot easier to work with than the Garmin 530! We have had some issues with the ADS B in traffic display, other than that pretty happy with the 540 install.

Except if you're already garmin, it's easier to keep it that way.

And what hard about a GNS? I can navigate most of it just based off touch with out even needing to look at the screen!

Also I wouldn't go G5, you're nuts, with the Skyview comming out and all that, you have to ether be filthy rich and just not thinking if you're buying G5s and such right now.

Yes, but I can basically trade the 530W for a 650 and get a modern radio. I have the room for a 650, and am trying to make a need/want decision.

Putting the flight plan in the 750 and having it auto-magically appear in a second radio too.

What's not modern about a 530?

The 650 doesn't exactly do much a 530 can't do, and they both shoot all the same approaches? Based on screen size a GNS650 is a downgrade from a GTN530, maybe a GNS750 if you're looking to say you have the newest thing, but really, function wise, meh

Except if you're already garmin, it's easier to keep it that way.

Actually, this is not true at all - in fact, the opposite applies.

An Avidyne 540 slides into the tray for the Garmin 530W, and you're done - no install burden at all.

INstalling a GTN750 is essentially a new install, different tray, rewiring, the whole schmear. You should be able to save a grand or more in labor expense alone by going with the Avidyne. In addition, aggressive shopping could yield significantly better pricing for an Avidyne 540 vs. a GTN750 (not sure, think there are some price breaks still to be had).

After flying for several months with the Avidyne 440 (the slide-in replacement for the Garmin 430W), I am very happy - its a great unit.

The feature that pushed me over the edge to upgrade to the Avidyne was that Avidyne has the IFD100 App on the iPad, which effectively serves as a second unit with a large screen - you can do anything on the iPad that you can do on the in-panel unit, except talk on the radio.

In your scenario, you could get the Avidyne 540, slide it in, and then go with a second Nav/Com, and still have a second large screen navigator. It is very well engineered.

My $0.02.

Personally two is overkill. The Garmin units have been very reliable, and in a pinch you have a handheld backup suitable for enroute as well as vor/ils as a backup to get down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually, this is not true at all - in fact, the opposite applies.

An Avidyne 540 slides into the tray for the Garmin 530W, and you're done - no install burden at all.

INstalling a GTN750 is essentially a new install, different tray, rewiring, the whole schmear. You should be able to save a grand or more in labor expense alone by going with the Avidyne. In addition, aggressive shopping could yield significantly better pricing for an Avidyne 540 vs. a GTN750 (not sure, think there are some price breaks still to be had).

After flying for several months with the Avidyne 440 (the slide-in replacement for the Garmin 430W), I am very happy - its a great unit.

The feature that pushed me over the edge to upgrade to the Avidyne was that Avidyne has the IFD100 App on the iPad, which effectively serves as a second unit with a large screen - you can do anything on the iPad that you can do on the in-panel unit, except talk on the radio.

In your scenario, you could get the Avidyne 540, slide it in, and then go with a second Nav/Com, and still have a second large screen navigator. It is very well engineered.

My $0.02.

I was more talking on the function and menus

Personally two is overkill. The Garmin units have been very reliable, and in a pinch you have a handheld backup suitable for enroute as well as vor/ils as a backup to get down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had them mess up, it was just the antenna, but end result was the same, glad I had both boxes, plus if you know who the work the boxes, having two is a huge improvement, find me a nice IMC ship without dual.

Heck I'd take dual 430Ws over a single 750.

I'm interested in this discussion from a different perspective. The large MFD-style displays seem to be increasingly superfluous given the integration of the iPad (or other EFB) on the flight deck.

I have a GTN650 and usually leave it on the "Default Nav" page. For those who aren't familiar this is a non-map page with user-definable fields. Mine displays DTK, TRK, and XTK along with a few other things. I just haven't found much reason to use the Map page at all. So in some respects I am starting to question whether the "Map" page is really very important at all these days.

I do have two iPads in my airplane. One Mini 2 on the yoke and an iPad Pro which "floats." May simplify down to one iPad, but it's really not a problem dealing with two since I have a FlightStream 510, and the changes sync across all the devices.

I thought about a 750 early in the upgrade process but couldn't identify a reason for the spend. Sure, if the costs were equal I'd go for it. But I haven't really found any need. The full-size iPad screen is huge compared to ANY panel Navigator display.

Addressing the OP's question, if money is no object, sure, who wouldn't want a 750 and 650 combo? It's a very nice stack indeed. Do you need it more than you need the $6k? I suppose that's the question.

I would not do either.

Go get an SL30 for 3K and move on. I would not use a 650 with my 750 other than for a radio. Plus, this is expensive! SL30 is an awesome nav/command, save the $ for avgas or another upgrade.

Back