5/28 Pik n Pig ?

Tempting. We just got the LOA from the FSDO so I may be hopping rides in the biplane this weekend. I was actually thinking about flying down to the Pig during the week.

one of these days I'm gonna take a pik n pig lunch break during the week. this week looks good weather wise, but I'm on call so it might be tough. let me know if you're thinking about saturday, we can try to coordinate.

What's a Pik n Pig? Where? Time?
It's a BBQ restaurant in Carthage, NC http://www.pik-n-pig.com/. In addition to great food, it's big attraction for pilots is it's location - just off the 2500±' runway at Gilliam McConnell field, a lovely little airport which, until it's past year was private (although the invitation was open to fly in for the restaurant). It is now open to public use with it's new idenitifer. Ready? BQ1. I understand they are hoping to get a AWOS unit so they can get a K idenfitier - KBBQ.

Edited.

Last edited:
one of these days I'm gonna take a pik n pig lunch break during the week. this week looks good weather wise, but I'm on call so it might be tough. let me know if you're thinking about saturday, we can try to coordinate.
Will do. If you are thinking about a work week lunch in the future, give me a shout.

Keep me updated, dinner would be better for me but I can do lunch no biggie. Last flight before the Grumman goes in for Annual.

It's a BBQ restaurant in Carthage, NC http://www.pik-n-pig.com/. In addition to great food, it's big attraction for pilots is it's location - just off the 2500±' runway at Gilliam McConnell field, a lovely little airport which, until it's past year was private (although the invitation was open to fly in for the restaurant). It is not open to public use with it's new idenitifer. Ready? BQ1. I understand they are hoping to get a AWOS unit so they can get a K idenfitier - KBBQ.
KBBQ? Surely you must be joking. :D
It would be very fitting for sure.
Too bad it is so far.
And maybe if the Cool Places to Fly forum was divided into subforums by state or region, there would be no initial confusion.
Y'all have one on me!!

Too Cool!

It's a BBQ restaurant in Carthage, NC http://www.pik-n-pig.com/. In addition to great food, it's big attraction for pilots is it's location - just off the 2500±' runway at Gilliam McConnell field, a lovely little airport which, until it's past year was private (although the invitation was open to fly in for the restaurant). It is not open to public use with it's new idenitifer. Ready? BQ1. I understand they are hoping to get a AWOS unit so they can get a K idenfitier - KBBQ.

It would be very fitting for sure.
Too bad it is so far.
And maybe if the Cool Places to Fly forum was divided into subforums by state or region, there would be no initial confusion.
Y'all have one on me!!
Nope. Not joking.

Correction to my post: it is now open for public use.

I think it has always been "private" until recently but here in these parts...no one calls ahead...we just head over, land and eat.
Yep. That's exactly what we do. :)

How else are you going to get ready? The first time I landed on this one (OK, first 3 times) I thought, 'Uh Oh, I've landed on someone's driveway!'
I think I got you beat :D My first landing there was my first landing when training for my tailwheel endorsement. Talk about scary. And ugly!

Yeah. That's what you trained on!

I'm good with 60', but that's the narrowest I've encountered so far.

I'll give it a try sometime this summer. Maybe we can meet up for lunch.
Ought to keep the thread open for that. If someone who happens on this thread is interested but a bit concerned about the runway, I'd consider playing CFI if I'm familiar with the airplane type.

Unfortunately, no. Wish I did, always seemed like an interesting airplane.

Too bad. I'd take you up on the offer. The Luscombe is not particularly difficult to land, but it does not tolerate side loads to the gear, so I'm a little cautious. I'd be less concerned if it was calm and I could do a wheel landing.

I think I'll fly back to the 60' runway and try landing to one side of the centerline, for practice.

Wow! 26 feet. That's 10' less than my wingspan!

Yeah, but I'll bet it's much wider than the width between your main wheels!

I think I'll fly back to the 60' runway and try landing to one side of the centerline, for practice.

Instead of landing to one side, practice keeping the centerline between your mains. If your mains are spread 6 feet wide and you can keep the centerline between them then theoretically you should be good to go on a 13 foot wide runway (or 2 lane road in the case of an engine-out).

Instead of landing to one side, practice keeping the centerline between your mains. If your mains are spread 6 feet wide and you can keep the centerline between them then theoretically you should be good to go on a 13 foot wide runway (or 2 lane road in the case of an engine-out).
Agreed. Keep the centerline between your feet and square to your chest and you can't go wrong.

The proclivities of some tailwheel airplanes aside, I doubt it would take much more room, lenghwise or widthwise, to land a Luscombe than the airplane I was in last time I had lunch there - a six-seat A36 Bonanza :D

How else are you going to get ready? The first time I landed on this one (OK, first 3 times) I thought, 'Uh Oh, I've landed on someone's driveway!'
Har, I was just there last month for the first time. It's bizarre that you mention it. Riverside is kindsa interesting too but in a different way.

Last edited:
No airplane right now...the mags are out being overhauled. Piknpig is one of our favorites (also get my transponder checked at the little shop on that field). I'm likely busy anyhow. Sunday I'm roasting a pig at my place over at NC26.

Nope. Not joking.
Um, you realize you just lost a LOT of style points, right? And I gave you such a nice hook ... :(

Sounds like fun, but I'm not ready for a 36' wide runway!
Wow! 26 feet. That's 10' less than my wingspan!
Like others have said, grab an instructor and do some precision work. I trained out of an airport with a 6000x100 primary rwy but when we could, we would do a short-field TO or LDG on the 1550x25 rwy. It sure was fun and required precision work but again, it was fun knowing that I COULD do that. And if I couldn't, I'd practice until I could safely put her on the centerline with barely enough asphalt for the mains. :) And yes, my wingspan is also greater than the rwy width. That's the fun part.

No airplane right now...the mags are out being overhauled. Piknpig is one of our favorites (also get my transponder checked at the little shop on that field). I'm likely busy anyhow. Sunday I'm roasting a pig at my place over at NC26.

Nice. Want company?

Well, I will be there tomorrow for avionics work and lunch. And if others are going, will be happy to come down on Saturday as well

Har, I was just there last month for the first time. It's bizarre that you mention it. Riverside is kindsa interesting too but in a different way.
What in the world were you doing there of all places? Are you looking at Bob's twin by chance? Parr is a great, active private airport. Riverside is different, down in that valley on the river. First (and only) time I've petted a bear cub.

What in the world were you doing there of all places?
Doing a couple of Rural King projects. One in Zanesville, one in Steubenville. Thought about hangaring at one of those two airports but no hangars available at either. So I got a hangar at Cambridge. I'm at a sushi bar in Steubenville right now. A good one too!

I did my private pilot checkride out of KSOP and did my short field landing and takeoff there cause the DPE said it was too busy at KSOP haha. Very fun airport to fly into!

I should be there too, look for the ugly Comanche :)

N5290P
I won't make it this Saturday but there's no such thing as an ugly Comanche. Here's the one I used to fly in Colorado. Would love a chance to see yours.
5257PLittle.jpg

Back