430W to GTX335

k9medic

Line Up and Wait
N Central FL and GTC Bahamas when off work
Display Name

Display name:
ATP-H, CMEL, CSEL, CFI/CFII Airplanes and Helicopters
Just installed a 430W in my plane and I have a WAAS antenna connected to my GTX335.

If I am reading the manual correctly, I can connect the antenna to the 430W and then have it communicate data to the GTX335 for altitude via RS-232. Is this correct?

Also, since this is an ADS-B out only unit, am I correct that it cannot send ADS-B data to the 430W for display?

My GTX-345 with internal GPS receiver flashes "Service Soon" unless it has a GPS antenna connected to it, doesn't matter that its getting the position from a GTN...

YMMV

My GTX-345 with internal GPS receiver flashes "Service Soon" unless it has a GPS antenna connected to it, doesn't matter that its getting the position from a GTN...

YMMV
Is it looking for a signal? Or is it just looking for an antenna load?

The RS-232 and ARINC 429 should allow comms between the boxes and display mode-S traffic on the 430W.

The RS-232 provides GPS, location info, to the ADS-B out transponder.

The ARINC 429 is the display info from the 335 to the 430W.....

Single_430W.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all. Think we got it figured out. We wired everything up yesterday and now the radio shop is going to finish those connections and configure the units to talk.

I can only stare at a manual for so long...

I'm just surprised the avionics snobs on here haven't flamed you yet for having the temerity of incurring an initial installation of a 430W in the year 2021.... :D

I'm just surprised the avionics snobs on here haven't flamed you yet for having the temerity of incurring an initial installation of a 430W in the year 2021.... :D

We all know he just put it in so the GTX-335 wouldn't feel lonely. Nothing more traumatic than an Garmin "only child" in the panel. ;)

I have already had a couple of folks asked me why I didn’t put in a 650.

Heck, between the install cost and the equipment to include the indicator I am into this little upgrade for almost $9000.

It’s bad enough that I had to wait until the wing spar eddy current AD was done to make sure I didn’t have to buy a new wing instead of install a GPS.

$9000 is a lot of avgas considering the type of flying that I do. With only two instrument approaches in the entire Bahamas chain, the chances of me using that 430W the way it is intended is pretty slim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 430W will do anything the 650 will do except be supported until a date that is as far into the future. I believe that due to the huge installed base, you will be able to use it for many years to come.

The RS-232 and ARINC 429 should allow comms between the boxes and display mode-S traffic on the 430W.

The RS-232 provides GPS, location info, to the ADS-B out transponder.

The ARINC 429 is the display info from the 335 to the 430W.....

Single_430W.jpg

Just to be clear, the GTX 335 does not provide ADS-B In data to the GNS 430W via the ARINC 429 connection, it provides the Mode S TIS or AKA TISA which is a traffic product based on some mode S radar sites.

Just to be clear, the GTX 335 does not provide ADS-B In data to the GNS 430W via the ARINC 429 connection, it provides the Mode S TIS or AKA TISA which is a traffic product based on some mode S radar sites.
yup....hence my comment referencing "Mode-S".

I have a quick question on this. I have GTX335 with altitude and gps and a gns430. Is there a benefit to hook up the connections between the two units, beside the modes-s traffic? They both seem to be working perfect with out them. it has a set of rs-232 and a set of arinc-429 and a tis-a select wire.
Thank you

Last edited:
It depends on where you fly. Mode-S only works in big terminal areas, so if you usually don’t fly around them, you will usually just see a message “traffic unavailable”.

The 430W will do anything the 650 will do except be supported until a date that is as far into the future. I believe that due to the huge installed base, you will be able to use it for many years to come.

If you keep repeating that it will come true right? the day is coming soon when garmin says, "sorry, no more parts so no more service" face it, its been out of for production for almost 10 years and was first introduced 23 years ago. the supply of parts is about gone. why do you think that garmin keeps upping the price of repairs? answer, to get people to upgrade. you may get a lot more years out of one, but the day is soon coming where when it fails its a paperweight.

If you keep repeating that it will come true right? the day is coming soon when garmin says, "sorry, no more parts so no more service" face it, its been out of for production for almost 10 years and was first introduced 23 years ago. the supply of parts is about gone. why do you think that garmin keeps upping the price of repairs? answer, to get people to upgrade. you may get a lot more years out of one, but the day is soon coming where when it fails its a paperweight.
I agree with this to a certain extent, but more and more of these units are being removed, and there are a LOT of them sitting on shelves around the country that are still working. Especially since the cost to do a new installation is the same as an IFD or GTN, the removed units are going to end up being slide-ins for failed units down the road.

ya....so what?

I agree with this to a certain extent, but more and more of these units are being removed, and there are a LOT of them sitting on shelves around the country that are still working. Especially since the cost to do a new installation is the same as an IFD or GTN, the removed units are going to end up being slide-ins for failed units down the road.
Some of that might be tempered by some attrition from a few of those units failing on the shelf.

Back