269-A Helicopter or Hiller

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Are small old Helicopter like the Hughes 269, Enstrom or hiller holding their price, what is the market like trying to buy or sell one?

Parts for 269's are getting difficult, and what is left is getting more expensive.

Enstroms are still in production and are still supported.

Are small old Helicopter like the Hughes 269, Enstrom or hiller holding their price, what is the market like trying to buy or sell one?
In general, yes on price, but it depends a lot on condition, times, and configuration--more so than a fixed wing does. But it's more a sellers market with the right model than a buyers market. There are still plenty out flying/working but as mentioned above some models are not supported as much which leads to certain people looking for parts aircraft. Take a look at the online helicopter ads like in Trade-A-Plane to get a feel of the market for what you got/want. For example, several years ago helped an individual part out a couple helicopters as it was more lucrative than spending the money to make them airworthy. FYI: If buying, support experience/parts availability is everything with helicopters which can also be very location specific when trying to find both.

Last edited:
The hollow mast in the Enstrom always bothered me.

You referring to the controls going up through or just the fact that it’s hollow? Every helo I’ve flown has a hollow mast.

What is the deal with Airwolf TT-straps on the Enstroms ?

(I suffer these temporary attacks of insanity when I think I need to buy a trainer helicopter, luckily a brief look at 'retirement account statement' still cures those attacks)

What is the deal with Airwolf TT-straps on the Enstroms ?

(I suffer these temporary attacks of insanity when I think I need to buy a trainer helicopter, luckily a brief look at 'retirement account statement' still cures those attacks)

They work very well?

You are not considering a Bell 47?

Why not an R22? Parts galore and still in production.

FYI, Stanley Hiller was a member of Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity at UC Berkeley and did the first test flight of his initial helicopter in the football stadium there. Less wind to deal with. My dad was a fraternity brother of his during dad's relatively short time as a student there during the war (before he enlisted in the Navy). I really need to stop in and see the Hiller museum some time when I'm back in the Bay Area.

Back