2017 Garmin Pilot vs. Foreflight vs. WingX

Sorry, but yeah. WingX looks and feels like a guy with no development or design experience kludged together an app while he taught himself how to develop software from a Dummies book. It can't even download chart updates in the background while you do other things in the app.

The holiday sale indicates serious financial problems in the company. They're probably going to try to switch over to a business model where they make the app cheap to build up the user base and sell the data.

In the same kind of way that buying a nice cheesecake from a good bakery is a waste of money when you can buy a whole box of Little Debbie's for 99 cents.

More like buying a annual cheese cake subscription for $149 a year or a lifetime cheese cake subscription for 99 cents.

Sorry, but yeah. WingX looks and feels like a guy with no development or design experience kludged together an app while he taught himself how to develop software from a Dummies book. It can't even download chart updates in the background while you do other things in the app. .

Well that “Dummies” book showed him how to do split screen, syn vision and a ton of other features long before anyone else.... just saying.

If it's so good, why are they backed into a corner where they have to basically give the software away?

I signed up for the WingX free subscription for CFI's... I never got it, and stopped trying. I have yet to ever have a student using it. I do know of another CFI that has it loaded, but he has others loaded that he uses.

VFR guys will use whatever gives them a sectional, but mainly Garmin (especially the ones that work there) or Foreflight (everyone else with an IPad)....

IFR I haven't seen anything except Garmin and Foreflight, and again a heavy tilt of Garmin if they are employed there or running Android.

Either does what I need it to, I use foreflight. And I agree, it is getting expensive.

Didn't say I didn't like them, or that anyone else didn't like them. Just don't think that they're going to survive financially.
Hopefully I'm wrong. I like that there is competition.... Helps keep other pricing down.

If it's so good, why are they backed into a corner where they have to basically give the software away?

The free version is crippled .. does not include the IFR Low and High Enroute Charts, Approach Charts, Internet Weather, Synthetic Vision, and some other IFR-related functionality.

so, maybe you're not doin it right. My WingX has every map and chart in the US...plus the approach plates.

Back