2013 6Y9 Fly in Amazing things Happen

I'm still watching wx ... would like to get into Land O'Lakes this afternoon/evening. Ceilings still questionable today - may open up, or not.
And, of course, looking to see whether I can get back out on Sunday.

I am going to try the western route around Chicago which avoids a lot of that crud near the bridge. worst thing I see is bkn030 in WI, but I am not leaving till 1600Z and if I have to avoid much might just stay at a hotel at LNL to avoid tent setup in the dark. time will tell.

Grant, we have measuring spoons and a can opener in our cabin...and in my camping supplies if yours doesn't. I throw some in the truck. What time are you guys arriving?

Shall we plan for about 6pm for pot luck eating? Start cooking about 5:00...5:30...??

We're bringing a bunch of sweet corn...hopefully sweet...

It stays light pretty late. Dark is like 1030pm. I'm waiting for ceilings to lift before leaving.

How are things looking there Grant?
We're in Green Bay in the mighty (old) Acura. It is easy VFR here, though.
Grant, we have measuring spoons and a can opener in our cabin...and in my camping supplies if yours doesn't. I throw some in the truck. What time are you guys arriving?

Shall we plan for about 6pm for pot luck eating? Start cooking about 5:00...5:30...??

We're bringing a bunch of sweet corn...hopefully sweet...
We'll be checking out in 30 minutes. Then a stop by the grocery store for supplies, and about a 3 hour drive. Figure we will get in around 3PM EST (don't forget that the UP is on Eastern!)
We are sharing a cabin with Lynn and Chris, so don't have the camping supplies with us. But dang it, I forgot the French press! I think there's a coffee pot in the cabin, so we will get some filters and coffee.

Last edited:
From mom:

Post for me: potluck is @the hang out room. Tim: if you get to LNL call us ..have indoor options.PM Ed for my cell.

Update from diz: coffee is handled. Gets dark around 830 to 900. Potluck at hang out room. Tim m: if you get to lnl we have inside options for you. Pm ed or grant or tim w for diz cell.

I'm still looking at a bunch of low ceilings and convective activity (stuff is firing up farther south now, too) ...
My go/no-go is set for 4pm from my house.

I'm still looking at a bunch of low ceilings and convective activity (stuff is firing up farther south now, too) ...
My go/no-go is set for 4pm from my house.

Similar situation here, Liz.

Watching and waiting...plane has equipment but I have no rating! :)

Regards,

Curtis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hey, Curtis! Was wondering if you were still planning to make the trip. Of course, I'm still wondering ... that kinda day.

Hey, Curtis! Was wondering if you were still planning to make the trip. Of course, I'm still wondering ... that kinda day.

It sure is!

The getaway is appealing...

I was planning on the JXN..CVX..SJX..ISQ..6Y9 route - the weather isn't cooperating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Ed should be here in a bit. He'll have a report then. I'd look at kldm to kmtw to 6y9 and see if that's better. We've done that several times when the tvc sjx weather has been bad.

Ed should be here in a bit. He'll have a report then. I'd look at kldm to kmtw to 6y9 and see if that's better. We've done that several times when the tvc sjx weather has been bad.

Um, yeah, no. But thanks anyways.
Crummy ceilings and convective activity. No thanks. Not for me.

(Of course, I can't speak for Curtis)

Um, yeah, no. But thanks anyways.
Crummy ceilings and convective activity. No thanks. Not for me.

(Of course, I can't speak for Curtis)

Liz, in this situation, you can speak for me - and possibly in other situations as well! ;)

Maybe fly someplace downstate instead...it's unrestricted here! :)

Well, it IS experimental.

But it's also a Continental. ;)

Oops! I don't know my engines that well I guess.

I did get a laugh on my PP oral when the examiner asked me what kind of engine was in the C-172 we were going to fly and I responded "A 1940 something horizontally opposed ..etc."

John

Sadly, I'm out. No good way to get there today. And, latest forecast discussions look dicey for Sunday return.
I'll stay here to get my long-long run in and celebrate Dad's 90th tomorrow.

Well. We are kinda stuck in Janesville waiting on some storms to pass. How's the weather there?

Here is EdFred's trip report at 2035Z:
Weather was fine getting here. I was VFR at 10.5 over the lake. Clouds up here: bases 3K, tops 4K. You can duck under at the Dorr Peninsula and VFR it at 3K the rest of the way.

What's worse than bailing with blue sky in sight? Not much. Things still look dicey north of here, and I'm not taking any chances. With any luck I'll see you all tomorrow.

Looks like the storms Tim is waiting out are packing "ping pong ball size hail and 60 mph wind gusts" ...
"Impact... people and animals outdoors will be injured. Expect hail damage to roofs... siding... windows and vehicles. Expect wind damage to roofs... siding and trees."

Hope his plane is safe and sound!

Looks like the storms Tim is waiting out are packing "ping pong ball size hail and 60 mph wind gusts" ...
"Impact... people and animals outdoors will be injured. Expect hail damage to roofs... siding... windows and vehicles. Expect wind damage to roofs... siding and trees."

Hope his plane is safe and sound!
Yow!! :hairraise: :(

Yes, that's the kind of weather that I won't even chance encountering on the ground. Concern about TSRAGR is why I've done so few overnights over the years. Unless I KNOW in advance that I will have a hangar, I stay home if there is a forecast of severe weather along my route or at the destination.

Ladies thanks for your concerns. The worst of the weather passed the airport and the areas damaged were well east of my location. I did tie the airplane down but the winds never got above 25kts. The rain only lasted for about 30 minutes and was never really hard. We waited on it to pass for almost three hours. Janesville airport is like a ghost town. After walking past two closed FBOs we finally found one open but they closed at 5. The gentleman did give us a courtesy car so we could go eat and allowed us to keep it after closing time and just lock it up with the keys in it. We finally took off a little after 6PM but immediately hit moderate rain showers that were on the tailing fringe of the storm. Really cleaned the Arrow up nicely. Since it was dark by the time we arrived we just landed at KLNL and are staying at Gateway.

Life is such an adventure.

No matter how inconvenient, you did the right thing. That's the adventure in flying light airplanes.

Back