2013 6Y9 Fly in Amazing things Happen

FYI
For those of you that prefer not to camp at 6Y9, here are a couple of places at Land O Lakes Wi. which is an easy hop to or from Prickett Grooms- 6Y9.
Gateway Lodge 1 715 547 3321
Bel-Air Motel 1 715 547 3343
Both right at the airport.
Places to eat there also.

Any word on the status of the restaurant, and how bad are the skeeters in UP Michigan this time of year?

Haven't heard a thing about the restaurant....as soon as I hear I will get the word out.

Skeeters....hmmmm. Plan for the worst -hope for the best. In the past, we haven't had them be much of an issue. But now that I say that...

White Lightning was a much better short field airplane.

Yeah the Trinidad was given the nickname groundhog leaving there a couple years ago. :D
I feel your pain.

I've run the numbers in the past but I don't remember what they were other than doable, but tight. I need to run them again before I head out.

Looks like it is supposed to cool just a bit by the weekend. I have been using 75* and counting on a mid morning departure.

We can always ferry people and gear to Land O Lakes via land vehicle, then load you up there. KLNL is 4000 ft paved.
Yep UP 95 one day next day could snow.

And we'll be able to pick up people or equipment Friday morning in Iron Mountain and shuttle them in. Our plan is to over-night in Green Bay Thursday night.

Jeannette works a midnight Thursday night and she is begging for a later departure. I am still shooting for NLT 1000 hrs. Considering a lunch and gas stop at Gladwin then across the north end of the lake to 6Y9 via Beaver Island. Should put us there by 1500 - 1600.

If the weather gods are not cooperative we are considering driving in but that's about 13 hours.

Be glad to have you at KRQB for a lunch stop too. Nice crew car available and good restaurants close.

Well well well, just received e-mail from my Airport Manager, They are closing the Airport Friday for a few hours to work on the runway lights, right about the time I am scheduled to take off. Grrrrrrr

Moving the Arrow to another field for the night would suck but what ever.

Whats the fuel prices at Roben-Hood?

Well well well, just received e-mail from my Airport Manager, They are closing the Airport Friday for a few hours to work on the runway lights, right about the time I am scheduled to take off. Grrrrrrr

At least they bothered to tell you unlike my home airport that just shut down for weeks with no notice. It's a crapshoot when you go there now, a month later, with regards to if its actually usable or not.

Fuel Prices at KRQB are currently $5.95

At least they bothered to tell you unlike my home airport that just shut down for weeks with no notice. It's a crapshoot when you go there now, a month later, with regards to if its actually usable or not.

I can move the airplane to another airport and could even use a friends hangar for the night, it just becomes such a pain. They are supposed to be complete by noon but my issue is if they do not get done it by then.

You coming this year Jesse?

I'll be there in the Mooney. May need someone to help me on the way out with stuff - it's tight.

We have had a Mooney in before. No real problem. He did have concerns about his inner wheel pants being very close to the ground, probably turned them a little green. He also had a two blade prop ,putting that a little closer to the ground, no green on that. T.O. was good ,it was a warm day but not hot.
Monday departure looks best at this time as it will be a high of 75 low of 39 and clear, at least that's what it says today.

I'm not sure at this point -- I really could use that time to put towards getting the flybaby back to flybabying.

Not for the lack of trying their hardest, but the restaurant will not be ready to open in time for this weekend.

Darn. We'll be leaving directly from work tomorrow. Leslie and I will discuss what we might be able to bring for the pot luck. How many are we expecting now? Any food restrictions? (Steingar is coming, right? So I know we'll have at least one vegetarian.)

Don't plan on me for anything guys (though thanks from the bottom of my black heart for thinking of me). Transportation of choice is busticated. Its the airplane or nothing, and the wx looks quite unsettled. We'll see.

I thought it was all ready to go. Did you find something else?

This picture pretty effectively sums up the current situation:
VSN01Rm.jpg

And I thought my Goldwing was messed up!

Difference is I strongly suspect Jessie has the skills and knowhow to put his airplane to rights. Whether I can do that to my motorcycle is in considerably greater doubt.

Ouch! How innovative, a 3 cylinder Lycoming.

Man! What happened?

At the recommendation of someone that knows more than I do I am replacing the flying wires, turnbuckles, and anchor bolts.

Compression on the No 3. cylinder left a lot to be desired. Initially in the 30s, a lot of messing around, and an attempt at lapping the valve with the cylinder on got it into the 40s but was still leaking heavily out the exhaust valve. Considering how the other ones are upper 70s...it needs to be addressed. Sending it to Central Cylinder to be overhauled.

I've also made countless other small repairs since 6Y9 including the whole cracked oil tank fiasco.

My Honda runs on three cylinders when I am in economy mode. I am off to get an outlook briefing for tomorrow.

Well I won't say I am surprised by the briefing, but it is a little disappointing. The plan as of early evening was to pack the van tonight and if the weather was cooperating pack the plane and depart around noon here. Otherwise I would just pick Jeannette up from the hospital in the Van and head north for 13 hours.

Just talked to her on the phone and her niece delivered a 34 week preemie yesterday. Since she works in the NICU she just found out they are shipping "Jack" to Children's Hospital. She is worried and asked if we could turn around if the news wasn't good and of course I said yes, but my thoughts are why leave if there is a good chance we will be coming back. The plan is for her to check in with Childrens in the morning and make a go no go decision at that time.

I will post something when I know for sure.

Well we do not need to stick around Dayton. We cannot leave till after 1600Z due to runway closure at home field, The late departure actually helps things flying wise. Wife is getting a couple hours sleep and I will brief again in an hour or so.

I'm planning to do my baked beans for the pot-luck, and will make them on-site. Should I buy a can opener and measuring implements, or will they be available where we'll be cooking/eating? Will that be in the cabin, or at the compound?

Last edited:
Back