2013 6Y9 Fly in Amazing things Happen

We've had two Arrows in that I know of ,both with 2,600 ft. avail.
Both 200 hp.
Both no problem ,but light with minimal fuel and loading.
Have had 150 and 160 hp. Cherokee's in and out ,some of those a little closer to the tree tops:yikes:
Many 180 hp Cherokees ,all have done fine.
Wind and temp are important here.

There may be three of us, my wife, stepson and myself. That puts the Arrow at 2404 with about 25 gallons of fuel on board.

I don't have the charts with me but I think the 50' chart was around 2000' with zero wind. (dumb I know because at 0 wind I would take off to the east) 1750 at 5kts and 1500 at 10 kts. All those are good but that's perfect book numbers. With almost 5000' at my home field I never worry about it much. I will try some real short fields takeoffs and note the altitude at various distances, for my own peace of mind.

There may be three of us, my wife, stepson and myself. That puts the Arrow at 2404 with about 25 gallons of fuel on board.

I don't have the charts with me but I think the 50' chart was around 2000' with zero wind. (dumb I know because at 0 wind I would take off to the east) 1750 at 5kts and 1500 at 10 kts. All those are good but that's perfect book numbers. With almost 5000' at my home field I never worry about it much. I will try some real short fields takeoffs and note the altitude at various distances, for my own peace of mind.

Practice your short fields for sure...but I will gladly run your crew and gear to LNL and meet you there. Have done it before, happy to do it again. Safety first.:wink2:

Practice your short fields for sure...but I will gladly run your crew and gear to LNL and meet you there. Have done it before, happy to do it again. Safety first.:wink2:

As Diz says above.
There is no shame in feeling uncomfortable after getting in and erring to the side of safety. We will gladly give car rides to those that need it, for people and or camping gear.
We can also do it on the in flight also if it would make people more comfortable the first time in so as not to have the pressure of others on board.

I've gotten critisized by some on this board in the past for my" annual 6Y9 safety briefings" I won't redo them this year but you can go back to past threads and see them if you like.:dunno:

I'm thinking about making the trek again...might have a couple other pilots along this time: Sum Ting Wong and Ho Lee Fuk. They're great fliers and I'm sure they'll fit right in...

My take off roll and 50' clearance charts are less than encourging without a 5 to 10 kt headwind

Yeah, but if there's not a 10 kt headwind then just take off to the east...problem solved.

The issue isn't runway length to the west. The issue is trees that are well off the end of the runway, but tall. We can lengthen all we want to the west, but that doesn't help at all for take offs that direction.

Perhaps part of the negotiation for the land might be an aviation easement across a 100' wide swath off the end of the runway. You could use it for anything except tall stuff (like trees).

If you wouldn't mind posting a contact email for either of these gentlemen, I'd be pleased to write them a thank-you from the wilds of Californicate.

Thanks,

Jim

I was busy at OSH when this all started (and successfully concluded, at least for the short term). I'm so glad, because we always look forward to the wonderful hospitality of the Fredericks! We've reserved one of the cabins and plan to come up in the Bo again. Reminds me, I need to get current in it pretty soon!

Perhaps part of the negotiation for the land might be an aviation easement across a 100' wide swath off the end of the runway. You could use it for anything except tall stuff (like trees).

If you wouldn't mind posting a contact email for either of these gentlemen, I'd be pleased to write them a thank-you from the wilds of Californicate.

Thanks,

Jim

Thanks for the offer,but we are still going to be negotiating future use.
If I post their contact info and someone says the wrong thing ,well, it could deep six the whole thing for good.
Hopefully my 33 years of sales,and working with people will suffice to get the job done.:dunno:

The issue isn't runway length to the west. The issue is trees that are well off the end of the runway, but tall. We can lengthen all we want to the west, but that doesn't help at all for take offs that direction.

Hey Ed,

Worked on the short field last week. 2KTs headwind component, 25* flaps, full power, lift off at 54kts, in 965', and was at 100' AGL in 2500'

Lightly loaded 2262#, 75* air temp and about 1100 pressure altitude, all on smooth runway.

About 25% over book.

Hey Ed,

Worked on the short field last week. 2KTs headwind component, 25* flaps, full power, lift off at 54kts, in 965', and was at 100' AGL in 2500'

Lightly loaded 2262#, 75* air temp and about 1100 pressure altitude, all on smooth runway.

About 25% over book.

Manual flaps right?
Rolling start, or hold the brakes start?

Planning on it as well if I can get my class covered. Might bring my mighty Goldwing, since I seem to have wx troubles every blasted time I fly.

I was the recipient of the group's generosity when I tried to light out of there with an uncomfortable load.

We're definitely going to be there, whether it's via Bonanza or auto!

We're there. Coming on Wednesday, leaving on Tuesday. Waterfalling all week. Staying at Kennedy's since we'll have a vehicle and won't need to stay close to the airport.

I got something else for ya to try. Drop me a PM
Ooooooohhhhhhh....

The old pop the manual flaps at about 40kts trick!

Works great on a 182...

Unless something really gets messed up at work, I'll be there too. Probably just for one night unless there's ZERO chance of boomers in the extended. Gotta unpack the tent and check for leaks...

Unless something really gets messed up at work, I'll be there too. Probably just for one night unless there's ZERO chance of boomers in the extended. Gotta unpack the tent and check for leaks...

From what I saw a couple of years ago at 6Y9...make sure Pete helps with the leak checks.
:rofl:

Will somone be making coffee or should I bring the coleman stove? Heck all I need is hot water I am good with instant, that's all I take with me when we camp.

I hope this French press person isn't someone you met on the internet. So if you have coffee covered I can leave the coleman stove at home.

We won't be able to make it (again) this year. We had a couple of unexpected expenses that came up that has eaten into our 'fun' money for a while. :(

If you are camping be prepared for lower temps than most areas of the country are experiencing. It dipped into mid the 40s last night. The upside is that cooler temps should help with the pesky insects.

So the question to ask is how early is too early to show up with an empty cup. I am an early riser while Jeannette is usually up at the crack of noon. Darn nightshift people!!!

Is anyone working on a list of foods for the potluck Friday evening?

So the question to ask is how early is too early to show up with an empty cup. I am an early riser while Jeannette is usually up at the crack of noon. Darn nightshift people!!!

Is anyone working on a list of foods for the potluck Friday evening?

Well, it's me, Leslie, Lynn and Christopher in the cabin. Leslie awakes at 4AM, though she'll go back to bed until sunrise if she can. Me, I'm with Jeannette and Jeb Burnside!

Just leave the door unlocked and keep covered up. I will make the coffee!!!

No worries.. I will make sure there's coffee available for the coffee lovers. Last year I brought over continental breakfast stuff for Saturday.;)
Sunday we went to the steakhouse. Monday, breakfast was at our camp.

Just back from Sidnaw and some interesting things are happening. The café now has new owners and they are scrambling to be ready by the fly in. BUT- they can only go as fast as permits, fixes, etc., etc., allows. Haven't said anything before now as there was a lot going on-and still a lot going on for them as they are preparing. IF- IF- IF they are open by the fly in, PLEASE -PLEASE- PLEASE patronize them. It's a long shot but amazing things can happen. Have talked with the new owners numerous times. They are excited and ready to get the final approvals and hang up the "Open" sign.

Also, the mini-mart has been sold and in talking with the new owners, things should continue on. Not sure of the final turnover date, but the station should remain open during the transition. There has been no mention of anything to the contrary.

And, the nearest grocery store-5 miles away has new owners. That was the rumor anyway, and it seems to be true. As offered last year, anyone needing to get some groceries, we can arrange a grocery run if you'd rather not try and cram too much in your plane.

I can also have some food already in the fridge/ freezer. I just need some "direction", choices, etc. so email me or PM me.

Won't be long now...anxious to see everyone again, and will totally miss those who cannot come! :sad:

I really doubt I'm going to have my plane flying again before 6Y9. It's also going to eat up some money to get it flying. If I do make it -- it'll probably be by motorcycle.

No worries.. I will make sure there's coffee available for the coffee lovers. Last year I brought over continental breakfast stuff for Saturday.;)
Sunday we went to the steakhouse. Monday, breakfast was at our camp.

Just back from Sidnaw and some interesting things are happening. The café now has new owners and they are scrambling to be ready by the fly in. BUT- they can only go as fast as permits, fixes, etc., etc., allows. Haven't said anything before now as there was a lot going on-and still a lot going on for them as they are preparing. IF- IF- IF they are open by the fly in, PLEASE -PLEASE- PLEASE patronize them. It's a long shot but amazing things can happen. Have talked with the new owners numerous times. They are excited and ready to get the final approvals and hang up the "Open" sign.

Also, the mini-mart has been sold and in talking with the new owners, things should continue on. Not sure of the final turnover date, but the station should remain open during the transition. There has been no mention of anything to the contrary.

And, the nearest grocery store-5 miles away has new owners. That was the rumor anyway, and it seems to be true. As offered last year, anyone needing to get some groceries, we can arrange a grocery run if you'd rather not try and cram too much in your plane.

I can also have some food already in the fridge/ freezer. I just need some "direction", choices, etc. so email me or PM me.

Won't be long now...anxious to see everyone again, and will totally miss those who cannot come! :sad:

If the restaurant is open, should we use that on Friday for the early pilots, instead of doing the Friday potluck that you had mentioned earlier?

If the restaurant is open, should we use that on Friday for the early pilots, instead of doing the Friday potluck that you had mentioned earlier?

We may not know if the restaurant is open on Friday until, Friday.

I am literally the first person on their list to call when open.I will be going up early in the week so if they are going to be open, I will let the masses know...and to answer your question specifically, yes, I would like to give them a jump start if at all possible.

That all being said, I will start the list of potluck fixin's if the potluck is what we do. I will provide:

a grill, plates, napkins, plastic ware, CHICKEN, and a dry room with one (maybe two) electrical outlets :wink2:

Next?

We may not know if the restaurant is open on Friday until, Friday.

I am literally the first person on their list to call when open.I will be going up early in the week so if they are going to be open, I will let the masses know...and to answer your question specifically, yes, I would like to give them a jump start if at all possible.

That all being said, I will start the list of potluck fixin's if the potluck is what we do. I will provide:

a grill, plates, napkins, plastic ware, CHICKEN, and a dry room with one (maybe two) electrical outlets :wink2:

Next?

Okay, I hope that we'll hear by Friday morning so we can plan for the potluck.

We can all keep our fingers crossed that the restaurant will be open. Otherwise I might have to cook something.

I did tell Diz I would try to bring some buckeyes. Three in the plane plus some of the choc peanut butter variety.

Not sure how to pack them for a 4 hour flight

Back