2010 Dinner Alternative

Steve

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
There is a possibility of having dinner "off airport" this year if enough attendees participate.

The venue would be Colton's Steakhouse in Mountain Home.

A menu is available for viewing at

http://www.coltonssteakhouse.com/MtnHome_Reg_Takeout.pdf

A chartered bus with seating for 50 could be hired with the cost shared among the riders. The more takers the lower the cost per seat so a firm figure can not be established beforehand for each participant.

A decision would need to be made on which night to do it, Friday or Saturday, if it all. And it needs to be made within the next week to reserve the motorcoach. I think a minimum of 25 seats filled would keep the cost affordable. If the cost is too high then we'll just scrap the whole idea.

If Jesse could add a poll here or on the fly-in website with a cutoff of next Thursday (5/20) or if people just announce their intention to participate by then we can move forward with this if it is the desire of the group.

So let your interest be known.

btw, if someone makes arrangements with a better location we always change the bus route.

Don't worry about the bus cost. Chien will buy the damn thing if he thinks he'll have to eat in the restaurant again.

Well we could always add a picnic to the midnight drunk dam run :D

Steve,
I think we'd be interested, but I wouldn't want to P.O. Gaston's in the process. Since many of us have kitchens, we might even consider a pot luck.

Steve,
I think we'd be interested, but I wouldn't want to P.O. Gaston's in the process. Since many of us have kitchens, we might even consider a pot luck.

Well, given the fact that they always seem to be surprised that a whole bunch of us show up on Saturday evening, I don't think POing Gaston's is that much of an issue.

I am willing to go off campus if there are enough go make it worth while.

I would be willing to go too, even though I have nothing to compare it to since this is my first time at Gastons.

sure is convenient to be able to fly till sunset and then wander over to the restaurant for some overpriced food and air conditioning.

Don't worry about the bus cost. Chien will buy the damn thing if he thinks he'll have to eat in the restaurant again.

That, sir, is the line of the day! :D

Well, given the fact that they always seem to be surprised that a whole bunch of us show up on Saturday evening, I don't think POing Gaston's is that much of an issue.

I am willing to go off campus if there are enough go make it worth while.

You cannot imagine how many different ways Dave let them know about what and when and how many. Phone, email and follow-up with postal mail.

All to no effect.

You cannot imagine how many different ways Dave let them know about what and when and how many. Phone, email and follow-up with postal mail.All to no effect.

Tis true. An honest effort was made to inform of numbers and times and desired location (lower level, NE end). I started with an exploratory call in December, then followed up with timely (but not obnoxious) reminders of details for, in particular, Sat evening.

I truly suspect the operation is incapable of such prior planning, and as noted in a postscript last year - it is likely due to their inability to acquire the staff necessary in such a remote location.

All greivances are behind; I am happy as a clam with burgers on the flightline. Or this novel idea of being bussed to the steaks.

They always seemed to be surprised?????? Really??? Every year I spent a lot of time coordinating with them and they always knew we were coming.

You cannot imagine how many different ways Dave let them know about what and when and how many. Phone, email and follow-up with postal mail.

All to no effect.

Tis true. An honest effort was made to inform of numbers and times and desired location (lower level, NE end). I started with an exploratory call in December, then followed up with timely (but not obnoxious) reminders of details for, in particular, Sat evening.

I truly suspect the operation is incapable of such prior planning, and as noted in a postscript last year - it is likely due to their inability to acquire the staff necessary in such a remote location.

I think you can see why I didn't want to do it any more. ;)

If I were forced to do it again, I would serve heavy horse devourers from the grills at the cabins, then go to the restaurant and have the salad bar and a libation or four.

They always seemed to be surprised?????? Really??? Every year I spent a lot of time coordinating with them and they always knew we were coming.

I think you can see why I didn't want to do it any more. ;)

The seat count right now is about halfway to the number needed to do this. Further discussion with the charter bus company indicates the maxium per seat cost would be $15. I think we could come in under that with enough participation. This would be a cash only deal.

I'm tending towards Saturday evening departure @ 7pm, but Friday is also available. Once consensus on a date is obtainsed I'll make the dinner reservations. I think the restaraunt would like a few days notice. We would be getting back in time for midnight dam tour. (If Felix doesn't fall asleep.) :)

The go/no decision will be made midnight May 21 based on the responses so attendees can plan accordingly. I have no problem if it happens or doesn't happen so don't feel pressured to do this if you don't want to.

Count me in as required.

Susan and I are IN (saturday night). I THINK Ken Ibold, if he's there. Can't speak for Bob.

I am in for what ever the group decides to do. I can stand a bus ride.

Count Christopher and me in as well! And if the restaurant will allow dogs in the dining room, Nikki also. She likes a good steak as much as the next person! :)

Add Sue and me if you do it.

Assuming the weather turns out to be decent and I can't find a room, how late do we get to keep the bus? Does it have a whiz? Can I sleep in it?

very late

yes

yes

note: ride from the bus garage (which will be locked until 8am monday) back to the air strip not included

Assuming the weather turns out to be decent and I can't find a room, how late do we get to keep the bus? Does it have a whiz? Can I sleep in it?

*%&#! I knew there had to be a catch, it sounded too good to be true. But the good news is I bought my own set of tie-downs.

very late

yes

yes

note: ride from the bus garage (which will be locked until 8am monday) back to the air strip not included

Tony and I will be in (if you have not counted him already from his earlier post).

How far's the restaurant from the airport in Mntn Home?

We can find a way, I'm sure!

At this rate we're going to need two buses!

I have checked Troy, and the optional handholds have been installed!

2uhalty.jpg

Well, just think... we could be flying and have that same situation! I'll hang onto the outside of a van like Dave's anytime!

beech-18.jpg

Ok, with Dr. Bill's commitment we now are good to go with the bus charter.

There are currently still more seats available, but to guarantee a seat is held for you please PM me with the names in your party before June 5th so I can create an "official" roster. I've started a spreadsheet with everyone that has responded so far, but I want make sure I have an accurate count. This is first come, first serve with prior notifications getting priorty, although with 56 bus seats available I think everyone that wants a seat on the bus can get one. If that number is exceeded you will be on your own for transportation to dinner, though.

Money will be collected prior to boarding. Plan on $15/seat. Exact change is appreciated but I will try to have enough $5 bills if you don't have it. It's understood if you indicate you want a seat but for whatever reason can not make Gaston's (weather, mechanical) you are not obligated in any way to pay. I'm operating on the trust system here so please follow through if you do show up and have a reservation if at all possible. I'm told a gratuity for the driver is expected. That will be taken care of at no additional cost to you.

For planning purposes the bus will depart the resort at 7:00pm and restaurant seating will start at 7:30pm. The plan is to return to the resort before 11pm, but that is subject to change based on the desire of the group.

I double checked with the restaurant and they do have a bar so anyone wishing to partake will be accomodated. They also want a best estimate one week before arrival so they can set up the seating, so be sure to let me know via PM as requested above before June 5th as that is intended to assure you a seat at the restaurant, even if you don't ride the bus. Just include a note that you will not be riding the bus.

Again, participation in the bus ride/dinner is strictly voluntary and is offered only as an alternative to eating at the resort Saturday night. This is an "experiment" and no guarantees are implied by me or anyone associated with the fly-in. If expectations are not met then I will gladly defer to someone else the next time. I have a short list of local restaurants that have the facilities to accomodate a group the size of ours and would be happy to pass that information along in case someone wants to make other arrangements in the future.

Maybe Jesse can modify the fly-in website to have a double verification of who's riding the bus.

Sorry Wayne, this is a long bus, not a short bus. You'll just have to adapt.:smile: Be prepared for the WI contingent to yodel on the bus PA, too.

I hate to be the party-pooper (actually, I don't mind too much if it involves a really funny joke) and have no dog in this hunt, but how much better is the place to which you're going? What kind of restaurant does one find in rural Arkansas?

I do want to postcript this by saying I only know Arkansas by reputation and have never been there. Never even passed through. If it is the Mecca of gourmet restaurants with the best ones on the planet then please keep your flame throwers turned to low heat as you educate me to the fact.

Back