2010 6Y9 Fly-In update

If I cannot get up there for the Friday dinner perhaps we can meet up somewhere in Cheeseland for lunch? I have a meeting Friday morning that I have to participate in but after that I am free for the day.
Sounds good. Iola at noon if weather permits. Failing that, Final Approach Steakhouse at Sheboygan.

And the hurricane, don't forget about the hurricane!! It could turn west and head to the Great Lakes!!! :eek::eek::eek::hairraise::hairraise::hairraise:

The remnants of hurricane Ike came through here a couple years ago. Never saw anything like it. Knocked down 100 year old trees big enough to crush cars.

What about protection from Volcanic Ash and Sand storm?

If Yellowstone erupts (that's the closest volcano) I think we might have bigger problems. :D

The remnants of hurricane Ike came through here a couple years ago. Never saw anything like it. Knocked down 100 year old trees big enough to crush cars.

Made for great tailwinds on my way to Memphis though. :)

Edit: That was Ivan that gave me the t/w.

Last edited:
FYI:

The Labor Day weekend will get off to a bad start for boaters who wanted to celebrate the end of summer by hitting Lake Michigan waters one more time this weekend. The National Weather Service has issued a gale warning, a small craft advisory and a gale watch for the lake starting today and lasting through Saturday.

The gale warning was issued Thursday morning and is in effect from 1 p.m. Friday to 5 p.m. Saturday. The agency said that sustained gale force winds or frequent gale force gusts could be in evidence during that time. It expects winds up to 45 knots from the northwest, with wave heights ranging from 12 to 18 feet.
A gale warning means that winds of 34 to 47 knots are imminent, and the agency recommends that anyone on the lake at these times be experienced and that they be operating vessels equipped to deal with these conditions.
Tis a bit windy!

Man this is frustrating..

If you compare the forecast for 00Z Fri from early this morning to the forecast for 00Z Fri from last hour, it looks like they're trying to push a lot of the rain farther north into Canada. That darn Low is still sitting the same spot, though. I'm not sure if the movement is enough to matter, though...

I guess the kicker will be when the 36 and 48 hr Progs come out.

Y'all have fun now!

Man this is frustrating..

If you compare the forecast for 00Z Fri from early this morning to the forecast for 00Z Fri from last hour, it looks like they're trying to push a lot of the rain farther north into Canada. That darn Low is still sitting the same spot, though. I'm not sure if the movement is enough to matter, though...

I guess the kicker will be when the 36 and 48 hr Progs come out.

I thought the 36 and 48 progs came out at one but its after two now and they aren't out yet. If this works for us it would have to be a loop around to the south as Canada is looking pretty crummy.

Your right about that low and there is a trough from Peoria up through Cheboygan.

9D9 Friday night. Pizza and bonfire at my place. Sat morning departure --> CVX --> SJX --> ISQ --> 6Y9. "Grand Rapids Approach, flight of 3 (or 5)"

9D9 Friday night. Pizza and bonfire at my place. Sat morning departure --> CVX --> SJX --> ISQ --> 6Y9. "Grand Rapids Approach, flight of 3 (or 5)"

'Gold Leader, this is Red 7 checking in'

I could be down with that!
(And, I have a growler of porter that needs drinkin')

Of course, I'd need to stop at CVX and add a detour to SAW - short legged Yankee, you know.

I could be down with that!
(And, I have a growler of porter that needs drinkin')

Of course, I'd need to stop at CVX and add a detour to SAW - short legged Yankee, you know.

Yeah, but it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOPER! :)

It's actually only 45 miles out of the way (Ray-D->6Y9 vs Ray-9D9-D-> 6Y9)

That's pretty much the route I would take too. But looking at the forecast... this one looks like a pretty definite no go for me. The models haven't really changed, and that's going to be one heckuva headwind on Saturday plus lots of chop.

Fly safe everyone!

Grant and I are out. Discussing options, looks like we've got 30+ kt direct crosswinds and no instrument approaches into desired destinations. Not a good scenario.

Scott - doesn't look like we'll be joining you for lunch on Friday.

OTOH, two good things:
1 - We did make it to 6Y9 earlier this year (as did Scott), and
2 - Grant has a handle of Crown.... guess we have provisions for the weekend :)

We will be heading up to Mackinac Island next weekend, so we'll benefit the Michigan economy :)

Leslie

So come up Saturday. Just got a text from mom saying the NOAA is reporting 10-15mph winds on Saturday.

I'm thinking of staging to Minneapolis or so on Friday and then on into 6Y9 on Saturday. Of course this does mean missing the fish fry.

If you have time to spare, go by air...

Well, as much as I absolutely HATE HATE HATE HATE to do it, I think I'm going to have to pull the plug on our 6Y9 trip for this year.

I could deal with marginal ceilings (strike 1) and strong headwinds (strike 2), but now there is an Airmet for mod turb below 10k that covers about 75% of our route to Ed's for today (strike 3). Not to mention that I must think of my passenger who happens to be my banker. ;)

Ed, Brad, Diz, sorry to bail, but stuff happens. I knew the weather would catch up to us eventually, but it still sucks when it happens. :(

We will plan on seeing ya'll next year, if not sooner!

That sucks because Sunday and Monday are going to be awesome weather-wise.

That sucks because Sunday and Monday are going to be awesome weather-wise.

I know.. That's what stinks..

It's the matter of GETTING there. Rachel would be miserable for the whole weekend if we tried to fight bumps for 5 hrs to get there. If mama's not happy, NObody's happy.

Last edited:
Those airmets expire at 11am. See what happens later in the day.

ADDS shows them projected to be in effect through at least 21Z. I'd guess they'll be allowed to expire after dark.

Looks Like AdamB and AdamZ are on their way across PA now in the Trinidad. (N20KM)

Have a good weekend everyone.

Why did Adam B fly down to Wings???? I thought Adam Z was taking a commercial flight north east?????????

AdamB came down to AdamZ's last night in hopes of getting a better start today.

Ahhh......ok. Well I'm sure they are in FUN mode....which beats the heck out of looking out of my office window. <sigh>.

Ahhh......ok. Well I'm sure they are in FUN mode....which beats the heck out of looking out of my office window. <sigh>.

Flying in the Trinnie :)D) + New Zulu's :)cool2:) + 6Y9 = :cornut::cornut:

I'm sure Adam is in his glory. I'm with you Gary,.. sitting here in my cubicle running calculations and watching FlightAware. :rolleyes2:

1525Z Winds here in central WI are 18 gusting to 31. Ceilings are 2400SCT 3100BRK clouds are really moving, look fairly thin though. Holding off on my trip to 9D9 until tomorrow morning, if I have to deal with these winds, I'd rather do it in daylight.

Why did Adam B fly down to Wings???? I thought Adam Z was taking a commercial flight north east?????????

Z was supposed to fly to NH and then B and Z were going to fly through Canada. Weather in Canada was supposed to suck. So they are going south route instead.

Ed - what's the plan?
Still pizza at your place; or, are you down to too few pilots to call it a party? (Meaning, should I still plan to join y'all tonight? Or, meet you at 6Y9 sometime Saturday - god willin', creeks, etc.)

Guessing the Adams are holed up at KFKL. Wall of nastiness between there and here.

So come up Saturday. Just got a text from mom saying the NOAA is reporting 10-15mph winds on Saturday.
May do. The Sawyer TAF isn't quite as rosy as that, but we'll see. As I recall, the field drains pretty well, but I'd like a PIREP on the condition if possible.
TAF GWINN/SAWYER, MI
KSAW 031734Z 0318/0418 25022G30KT P6SM -SHRA BKN025
FM032100 29020G30KT 6SM -SHRA BKN020
FM040000 33020G30KT 6SM -SHRA BKN020
FM040600 33018G28KT P6SM -SHRA BKN025
FM041500 33018G25KT P6SM BKN050 AMD LTD TO CLD VIS AND WIND
0402/0410=

Ed - what's the plan?
Still pizza at your place; or, are you down to too few pilots to call it a party? (Meaning, should I still plan to join y'all tonight? Or, meet you at 6Y9 sometime Saturday - god willin', creeks, etc.)

Guessing the Adams are holed up at KFKL. Wall of nastiness between there and here.

My place is still open for tonight, and I've got couch space. The Adams aer still in FKL waiting for those couple cells to move through. Ryan and Jen live 5-6 minutes from me, so we can have about 6 of us get together at my place. Then launch in the morning.

Back