2010 6Y9 Fly-In update

Cool beans.. We're gonna have quite a mix of a/c this year. Sonex, Trinnie, Sooper Yooper Yankee, Milk Stool, ?192.5?, RV(s?), Cessna, Piper, etc.

I think Tom's coming in his now painted RV-8, a pilot from da UP in his Super Cub,also another friend will probably show up in his Mooney.

Wow.. High of 69 on Friday and 71 on Sat/Sun. That's only 20* lower than what we've had the past week and 30* less than the heat index for the past several months. Time to dig out the sweatshirt (aka 'winter coat' here in GA)!

Yeah Baby! only THREE DAYs till 6Y9. Getting Psyched ( not psyched for the 35 to 40 kts head winds) but otherwise can't wait!!

I'm 800 straight line distance so Chris/Rachel take the furthest out category. Well, unless Henning really does show up...

I'm thinking I'll be the highest (non-commercial) if the winds are favorable - will try to go FTG to somewhere in Wisconson for fuel. The Merlyn is supposed to be installed this week and the O2 tank is full so may as well give'em a workout.

[whine on]

And that Merlyn is why my cherokee didn't get into the shop and get the annual done last week. You'll be able to go and I'll be stuck without an airplane for the long weekend.

Well, that and the CAP 182 who's starter burned up and trashed the battery.

[/whine off]

[whine on]

And that Merlyn is why my cherokee didn't get into the shop and get the annual done last week. You'll be able to go and I'll be stuck without an airplane for the long weekend.

Well, that and the CAP 182 who's starter burned up and trashed the battery.

[/whine off]

Well, it's mostly Merlyn's fault since they supplied the wonky elbow. At least they replaced it without excessive beating required.

But they had at least one other aircraft in "coffin" corner waiting on parts before mine went in the shop...

Hey AZ... I thought you were in charge of the wx this year, so what gives!?

OTOH, it could make the 4-wheeler rides a LOT more interesting. :D

WTF? :dunno: went to go plan out the Route IFR given the potential for Wx and this is What AOPA IFP spit out. May as well pick up Chris, Rachel and Steve See on the way. Jeez. Keep in mind route is KMHT to 6Y9 via low alt airways.

Attachments

• Whacked IFR Route.docx
    367.2 KB · Views: 32
Adam, you with your fancy planner software.

This will do you much better if it turns out you can't give me a ride to Williamsport to get my plane. ;)

maybe aopa was trying to avoid headwinds

From the looks of things I couldn't have come anyway. Supposed to rain Friday.:sad:

The way this system is setting up, I might not even be able to make it.

WTF? :dunno: went to go plan out the Route IFR given the potential for Wx and this is What AOPA IFP spit out. May as well pick up Chris, Rachel and Steve See on the way. Jeez. Keep in mind route is KMHT to 6Y9 via low alt airways.

Flight Plan?? Just head west untill you hit the big water. Keep the water on the right and land on the left, you get there eventually! :D

Gary

No kidding. That junk is just stalling out up there circling over the lakes picking up moisture and dropping it inland.

Reschedule for the last weekend in September - that one's still open for me. :D

As of Wed PM, the forecast is:
Friday: Showers likely, mainly after 8am. Cloudy, with a high near 59. Breezy, with a west wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Friday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 43. Northwest wind between 10 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 57.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 39.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 63.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 48.
So the weekend looks okay, it's just Friday that's dicey. Need be, I'll do lunch in Iola Friday, overnight at Oshkosh, and then head up Saturday morning. With overnight lows around 39 Saturday night, though, we may just opt to skip the camping part altogether! :)

Well, it looks like my plane won't be ready anyway, so I'll spend the next 10 days suffering it out in South Beach.

DTX forecast discussion says plenty of low-level moisture around here for Saturday, and "breezy". Sounds like it could be possibly probably doable IFR if I'd buckled down and gotten through the checkride by now (hint to self...) but it wouldn't be a nice ride and since I didn't, it's out of the question anyway.

That leaves only a Sunday departure but I have to lead a hike down here on Monday. I'm almost tempted but I'm not really keen on doing the 6 hour round trip in one day. So I'm out for this year.

DTX forecast discussion says plenty of low-level moisture around here for Saturday, and "breezy". Sounds like it could be possibly probably doable IFR if I'd buckled down and gotten through the checkride by now (hint to self...) but it wouldn't be a nice ride and since I didn't, it's out of the question anyway.

That leaves only a Sunday departure but I have to lead a hike down here on Monday. I'm almost tempted but I'm not really keen on doing the 6 hour round trip in one day. So I'm out for this year.

Why not wait a bit to make the call its still two days away!

HA I figured out my whacked IFR route. I hit plan route and it was on the 3000' default attitude. DOH!

Exactly.

Worst case, looks like Z and I can escape from the incoming hurricane, and at least make it to somewhere in the LP of Michigan. Maybe Saginaw area.
Hang out for the night and hopefully come up Sat morning.

We'll see what the forecast looks like tomorrow.

Oh, a miracle could always happen. But I've been watching Michigan weather long enough to know that when there's a complex Canadian system sitting around churning the wet stuff our way, and when the models already predict that it will leave lots of low level moisture around for a day or so, it's more likely to take longer than that to move out than to move out more quickly.

Unless tomorrow's model runs show a drastic shift, I don't think there's a lot of hope.

In a way I wish the fly-in had been last weekend as the weather over the whole route was 10-plus perfect. But if I'd been at 6Y9 instead of MCD last Sunday, I'd have missed one of the most relaxing and fun flying day-trips I've ever made.

Exactly.

Worst case, looks like Z and I can escape from the incoming hurricane, and at least make it to somewhere in the LP of Michigan. Maybe Saginaw area.
Hang out for the night and hopefully come up Sat morning.

We'll see what the forecast looks like tomorrow.

Maybe a 6Y9 pre-party at Ed's. :D

hmmm 9D9 right?

now there's an idea!

'cuz 9D9 is soooo close to Saginaw!

But, seriously, we might be able to pull off an LP pre-party (that's lower peninsula)... I'm on the southeast side of things, just north of Detroit City (KDET) and about 15 minutes from Oakland Troy (KVLL).

Small house. Medium dog. Minimal furniture. But, there is some floor space up for grabs!

Or, we could all head west to Ed's... :D

'cuz 9D9 is soooo close to Saginaw!

But, seriously, we might be able to pull off an LP pre-party (that's lower peninsula)... I'm on the southeast side of things, just north of Detroit City (KDET) and about 15 minutes from Oakland Troy (KVLL).

Small house. Medium dog. Minimal furniture. But, there is some floor space up for grabs!

Or, we could all head west to Ed's... :D

A propane pre-party? :D

Another fine idea.

Now that's something I could make even if Hurricane Earl took another huge turn to the west...

Pre-party at 9D9 is an option. As long as a couple of you dont mind riding in the back of a pickup. I've got a queen guest bed, and 3 sleepable couches, plus a smaller couch with 2 recliners.

Heck, my contingency plans involve overnighting Friday at KOSH, KATW, or KMCD. All within an easy hour of 6Y9 Saturday morning.

Heck, my contingency plans involve overnighting Friday at KOSH, KATW, or KMCD. All within an easy hour of 6Y9 Saturday morning.
If I cannot get up there for the Friday dinner perhaps we can meet up somewhere in Cheeseland for lunch? I have a meeting Friday morning that I have to participate in but after that I am free for the day.

Saturday UP still looks low waiting for the next prog to comeout and take a look see.

For those still planning on getting into 6Y9, if there is any rain or inclement weather while there, we do have shelter at the town hall.

For those still planning on getting into 6Y9, if there is any rain or inclement weather while there, we do have shelter at the town hall.

What about protection from Volcanic Ash and Sand storm?

Back