2010 6Y9 Fly-In update

el con

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
The Flied Piper
OK, the field is still green,good shape, and mowed as of last weekend, it has not been a dry year so unless everything gets baked in the next 14 days every thing is good. It will be mowed again 1-2 days before the Fly-In.
We will have a fire ring for one fire site for all to use on the field this year,also one at our cabin if anyone wants to join us over there.
We have been loaned a larger tent awning so we will have more shade.
We will again have a hot shower available in the old school building.
The wagon has not been put back in service so we have alternate transportation to Hoppy's Sat. night( yes Pete, Jane has restocked her Crown supply):cheerswine:
Bill's Grill will be open for any breakfast ,lunch ,or dinner that anyone needs.
Fri. night they have a fish fry and are open till 7:00 I think, so those coming Fri. note that, anyone coming we will make sure you can get something to eat.
As usual I recommend anyone coming ( especially newbies)to be ready for the 2,600 ft ,over the tree's both ends, "sidnaw hump" mid runway, 400' displaced on both ends, grass, with a few little bumps here and there ,landings and takeoffs.
Speed/approach management is critical but very do-able.:hairraise:
There has been an orange ball attached to the electric line next to the pole at the west end or 10 app/dep end, and as mentioned now a 400' displaced at both ends (28 was 600' and 10 was 300' in the past)Just keep the wheels out of the trees.
Those who have any doubts of their abilities are urged to PRACTICE a few shortfield T.O.'s and Landings on grass before coming.
In short don't worry about making it pretty ,just put the wheels on the ground at the displaced threshold's 3 yellow cones at your minimum safe speed and you'll have 2,200 ft to stop.
I'm sure everyone will do fine, we have gone 5 years now and no one has had any problem ,we want to continue the "safe streak".
6Y9 is a MDOT Aeronautics inspected and approved Airport.
Any questions or reasonable requests let Ed or I know.
Anyone who has been there may want to post any helpful hints or suggestions that may help any of the new pilots coming in.
See you there and safe flying.:thumbsup:

Brad, how many trap wires have you bolted down this year?:D

Actually as I recall EVERYone two years ago had plenty of room to stop. And IIRC the approach ends at least to 28 were well cleared even before the displaced threshold. No real need to " Tighten up yer panties" as Mr. 24 would say!:D

Although not a legal document this is in my mind a CYA or disclaimer if anyone has an incident.
I would feel awful ( but not responsible) if something happens and I did'nt try and convey my deep and profound concern for everyone's safe arrival and departure.
Also anyone having self doubts in their abilities should contact a CFI for questions and possible training in advance of any attempt at 6Y9.As Director of S.H.C.A.H.A. a 501(c)3 non profit corporation and holder of 6Y9,I am only a PP with 270 hrs. total training and flight time any statement's made are only mear suggestions for pilot's of sound mind ,body and spirit to land,take off, taxi, manuever at, on , or in the general vicinity of 6Y9.
No guarantees of good or safe weather,conditions, thermal, atmospheric abnormalities or combinations of the formentioned or are they the responsibilty of the 6Y9 staff or crew. All outcomes of arrivals and departures are the sole responsibility of the Pilot in Command of the aircraft that are voluntarily arriving and departing in, also in aircraft that are designed for and capable of such manuvers and possible out comes of such attempts:idea:.
Adam so how does that sound from your legal perspective and opinion:wink2:

ROLMAO! I was thinking Damn which attorney did Brad have draft that up? Its kind of like they say once the wheels leave the ground its the insurance company's plane. In this case once they enter the pattern its the insurance companys airport.:wink2:

Yah. I was hoping you'd get a laugh out of it. Ed and Diz just rolled they're eyes. Just a slow day at the office , excited about another fly-in ,seeing good friends, and having a little fun.
I'm sure any good lawyer (such as yourself)could shoot holes through my disclaimer statement:ihih:.
Sometimes a little crazy humor:goofy: makes one think of it's real meaning which is about both fun and safety at 6Y9.

Is there a gameplan for Friday arrivals yet? Are we going to try to do the fish fry or head down to Hoppy's or ???

Just curious and bored at work. :D

Is there a gameplan for Friday arrivals yet? Are we going to try to do the fish fry or head down to Hoppy's or ???

I would be perhaps be interested in an early dinner (fish fry) as it looks as though I may have to head south again Friday night. That would mean a take off prior to sunset for me.

Scott

Mom is supposedly coming up with a schedule of events - but we all know how well PoA'ers stick to those. I see Friday going something like this:

8am - finally drag my butt out of bed
9am - discuss putting up the tents for Saturday
10am - 3pm take 5 hours to do a 60 minute job.
2pm - start greeting arrivals
5pm - go eat at the Fish Fry
7pm-8pm - listen to people arriving that don't realize 6Y9 is on eastern time complain about missing the fish fry
9pm - head to Hoppy's for more food
11pm - come back and pick up Kent and Pete
12am - consider leaving Hoppy's but have to wait for Kent and Pete to eat.
2am finally leave Hoppy's after the Crown is gone.

:D

Mom is supposedly coming up with a schedule of events - but we all know how well PoA'ers stick to those. I see Friday going something like this:

7pm-8pm - listen to people arriving that don't realize 6Y9 is on eastern time complain about missing the fish fry

LMAO!!

I think I will print this out and check it off as the day progresses. Expected accuracy of schedule...... 92.4%

Why do you have to ruin my weekend away with plans! Sheesh If I wanted to plan I'd have another flybq:crazy:

I would be perhaps be interested in an early dinner (fish fry) as it looks as though I may have to head south again Friday night. That would mean a take off prior to sunset for me.

Scott

Well that would stink!

Why do you have to ruin my weekend away with plans! Sheesh If I wanted to plan I'd have another flybq:crazy:

What can I say -- I'm an 'Operations Analyst', I need structure. :cornut:

It's not like you're actually going to be there anyway... You'll probably oversleep and miss your flight and blame it on the airlines..... AGAIN.. :goofy::goofy:

What can I say -- I'm an 'Operations Analyst', I need structure. :cornut:

It's not like you're actually going to be there anyway... You'll probably oversleep and miss your flight and blame it on the airlines..... AGAIN.. :goofy::goofy:

ROLMAO! Actually I'll have to get up at like 5:00 AM to catch the first leg of my flight ugh!

ROLMAO! Actually I'll have to get up at like 5:00 AM to catch the first leg of my flight ugh!

Re: Plans..

You gotta admit, any set of plans that has a terminus of "after the Crown is gone" has got to be a pretty good set of plans. What could go wrong with a plan like that!?

We will have a fire ring for one fire site for all to use on the field this year,also one at our cabin if anyone wants to join us over there.

Awwww... C'mon Brad... We wanted to write our names on the runway with ligher fluid. What could go wrong with that!?

Yessir! I've just got to get to the Trinnie thats all.

Cool beans.. We're gonna have quite a mix of a/c this year. Sonex, Trinnie, Sooper Yooper Yankee, Milk Stool, ?192.5?, RV(s?), Cessna, Piper, etc.

Now wait just one minute here. If I manage to launch by 8 a.m., that's 10 UP time and about 7 hrs enroute with fuel stop. You do the math.
I can skip the fuel stop, hope for tailwind (or have an even chance of landing just a tad short), and have someone fetch gas at the other end...

Now wait just one minute here. If I manage to launch by 8 a.m., that's 10 UP time and about 7 hrs enroute with fuel stop. You do the math.
I can skip the fuel stop, hope for tailwind (or have an even chance of landing just a tad short), and have someone fetch gas at the other end...

I was referring more to the Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota people that would plan to arrive at 6:15pm in order to get the fish fry. Of course that 6:15pm would be CT, and the fry would already be done.

You, have already taken the time consideration into account. We can listen to you complain about other things. :D

But 1000 + 0700 = 1700z, one hour for fuel stop puts you there at 6ET, and in time for some cholesterol building.

I was referring more to the Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota people that would plan to arrive at 6:15pm in order to get the fish fry. Of course that 6:15pm would be CT, and the fry would already be done.

You, have already taken the time consideration into account. We can listen to you complain about other things. :D

But 1000 + 0700 = 1700z, one hour for fuel stop puts you there at 6ET, and in time for some cholesterol building.

Were gonna have to pedal fast frome the East Coast.

ROFL, but I checked the moon phase for that weekend, and it just don't work for a "dusk" landing. I have informed Senor Shook that 271G will depart promptly for a daylight arrival.

:cornut:

and about 7 hrs enroute with fuel stop.

Well food would be nice after a 6 hour flight actually 7+ if you Count SWA.

Wow.. And I thought my 5 hr enroute was gonna be the record this year.

I'm showing 812nm straight-line (although our actual flight path will probably push 900nm by the time it's all over with). What's going to be the longest distance this year?

Wow.. And I thought my 5 hr enroute was gonna be the record this year.

I'm showing 812nm straight-line (although our actual flight path will probably push 900nm by the time it's all over with). What's going to be the longest distance this year?

As of now, it is going to be a toss up between you two, Clark, and Adam B/Z. You have the 7 down in GA now?

I'm 765.1 straight line but looks like it will be 787 for our route plus another 251 to get up to A2 from my place but that is a commercial leg. If you count that its 1016.1 straight line to get there a bit more if you account for the real intended routing.

As of now, it is going to be a toss up between you two, Clark, and Adam B/Z. You have the 7 down in GA now?

Yep. We'll have to dodge ATL's Bravo (we're under a shelf, so can't climb above), and we'll have to deal with the Lake (don't like the idea of flying nearly the entire length right down the middle of the lake). Might just go over ORD's Bravo. Looks like somewhere around 840ish nm after some zig-zagging.

Just file direct through ORDs airspace, and take off far enough away that they give you a "cleared as filed" then squawk 7600 before they can give you an amended routing. :D

I'm 800 straight line distance so Chris/Rachel take the furthest out category. Well, unless Henning really does show up...

I'm thinking I'll be the highest (non-commercial) if the winds are favorable - will try to go FTG to somewhere in Wisconson for fuel. The Merlyn is supposed to be installed this week and the O2 tank is full so may as well give'em a workout.

I'm 800 straight line distance so Chris/Rachel take the furthest out category. Well, unless Henning really does show up...

I'm thinking I'll be the highest (non-commercial) if the winds are favorable - will try to go FTG to somewhere in Wisconson for fuel. The Merlyn is supposed to be installed this week and the O2 tank is full so may as well give'em a workout.

Trinnie has turbo and O2:D

Yep. We'll have to dodge ATL's Bravo (we're under a shelf, so can't climb above), and we'll have to deal with the Lake (don't like the idea of flying nearly the entire length right down the middle of the lake). Might just go over ORD's Bravo. Looks like somewhere around 840ish nm after some zig-zagging.

Actually, if you haven't done the Chicago lakeshore before, that's worth going underneath the B. :yes: But otherwise, yeah, go over the top - At 10,500 where it'll tick 'em off the most. ;) However, keep in mind why the Bravo's there, listen in to see what departures are doing, and keep your eyes open!

ROFL, but I checked the moon phase for that weekend, and it just don't work for a "dusk" landing. I have informed Senor Shook that 271G will depart promptly for a daylight arrival.

:cornut:

No problem. I quit my pesky job in preparation for a return to school. Let's aim for the fish fry...

Back