2010 6Y9 Fly-In update

I made it to the pre-party at 9D9 / EdFred's.
The Adams and I arrived at the same time - resulting in some fancy maneuvering to avoid becoming a factor for each other. Gusty winds and some light rain made for a fun approach and landing.

I'm pleased to report that Ed's apple crisp was divine - a perfect breakfast! :yes:

Heading off to 6Y9 around noon Saturday...
The Adams and Ed decided to cross the lake into the more favorable Wisconsin weather.
I decided that I wasn't feeling game enough to cross in my Sooper Piano. But, my planned Michigan route was closed off by low, wet weather. So, I went the long way - crossing back across the LP to West Branch.
But, winds were shifting and the pressure was dropping - I decided to bag it just outside West Branch with nearby stations reporting NNW winds at 2x gusting 30 for an E/W runway. Just wasn't wanting to call on any more of my "superior pilot skills" (as the Kings would say) - which would seem to be needed at every stop.

I think you made a good call and I'm glad you made it back safely. Maybe the weather will be better next year.

I made it back to Denver. Thirty to forty knot headwinds and bumpy most of the way. Ended up making three stops to fuel and stretch.

In contrast to the cold/wet of Saturday, Sunday was beautiful at 6Y9. A little ice on the aircraft in the morning but it went away by the time breakfast was finished.

It was good to see folks again. Sorry some of the regulars couldn't make it. Maybe next year...

Yeah, afternoon is looking a lot better on Saturday, morning still a bit breezy. Then Sunday and Monday is going to be about perfect.

I made it back to Denver. Thirty to forty knot headwinds and bumpy most of the way. Ended up making three stops to fuel and stretch.

In contrast to the cold/wet of Saturday, Sunday was beautiful at 6Y9. A little ice on the aircraft in the morning but it went away by the time breakfast was finished.

It was good to see folks again. Sorry some of the regulars couldn't make it. Maybe next year...
We're certainly sorry we couldn't make it this year, and applaud you for making the trip over! We spent Sunday hiking in the Starved Rock (IL) State Park.

Well we had another awesome time at 6Y9er this year. AdamB and I ( apparently we are now referred to collectively as the Adams) Flew up in A2s Turbo Trinnie. We had been planning the trip for weeks and I bought airline tix up and back from Philly to Manchester NH where I was going to meet A2 and fly the northern route over the north side of Lake Huron to the tip of the UP and on to 6Y9. We planned in great detail B bought the needed charts I plotted the route and we were getting psyched.

Then the massive SLOW moving low over the UP and Canada toward the end of last week threw all of our plans out the Window. Such is GA. Instead B decided that he would fly down to Wings Thursday night stay at my place and we would take the southern route south of lake Erie and up the lower Peninsula of Michigan.

Friday morning arrived bright and clear but with a cold front that ran from just east of the Ohio Michigan boarder down to Texas and hooked around up to Arizona. Up in Ohio it was spawning some nasty TS. So we launched from Wings and headed NW across Pennsylvania and saw some respectable ground speeds in the 140 kts range. We picked Franklin/Venango county KFKL to stop in Western PA refuel, grab some lunch and wait for the front to pass, and wait and wait and wait. After lunch and watching some old episodes of the Sopranos and a documentary about a mob lawyer the front passed and we went out to the plane to check things out. The front past and wind shifted from the North West and while things generally looked clear there was a lot of low lying scud off the ends of both runways. We played the eh can we make it over that stuff on climb out game for a bit before we decided to file. Good decision on our part as we were in it for a bit. We broke out and headed west across Ohio at around 6000' and when we made the turn north west at TOL up into Michigan it wasn't long be fore the ceilings came way down and the winds and precip kicked up. We got to Hastings to meet Ed and stay over his place with howling winds out of the WNW. As we approached we made our obligatory ATITPPA call just to tick Ed off. Of course he and Liz who was inbound knew who it was. We landed at 9D9 and froze our keisters off in the gray windy drizzle. Liz landed in the Sooper Yankee shortly after us.

After some great brew pub brew some Mexican food and A2s 46oz margarita we were off to Ed’s to get some rest. Saturday dawned gray and cold and more windy than Friday. Winds were ripping out of the NW. AdamB and I decided to go to 16K and cross lake Michigan, Ed decided to see how well his Comanche worked as a hover craft over the lake and Liz G-d bless her headed back to the East side of the LP so she could skirt some Wx and then head north. She gave it a valiant try but the winds were just too much for the Yankee and she wisely decided to scrub and headed back home. 2 and I saw 70kt head winds flying across the lake and ground speeds around 104 but as low as 96 Brutal. The lake and both shorelines were totally over cast. When we got to Wisconsin we requested lower so we could get under the layer and head north to 6Y9. We descended to 4K and picked up a trace of ice more like frost on the leaded edge as we descended through the clouds. Luckily they were not all that thick. The whole while A2 and I were talking to Liz, Ed and picked up Kent and Pete on 122.75 We acted as a relay since we were so High. After breaking out we diverted to Menomonee for fuel and a bathroom break. A beautiful airport, with $3.98 fuel, that was absolutely deserted. We took off again for the 30-40 min flight north to 6Y9 at 2500 as the ceiling was now around 3500. We were the last plane in to 6Y9 and Diz thoughtfully keep some burgers on the grill for us. Needless to say it was good to be back. Pete and Kent were there as was Clark whom it was great to meet. Unfortunately Pete had a hair stylist appointment so he and Kent only came for the day. Ed A2 and I took them back to the airport in the evening and got some great shots of their departure with a setting sun as the Wx began to clear up as that freaking Low finally bugged out Northeast. The evening was spent where else but hoppys with Ed, Diz, Brad, Clark and Ryan and family friends of the Fredericks from back home. Given the cold Wx we were all given a spot in the Frederick's cabin and had a great night star gazing by a warm camp fire. The night sky there is AMAZING.

Saturday was a blast although Clark had to leave a couple more planes flew in and we grabbed a late breakfast at Bill's Grill and did some awesome 4 wheeling. The weather was so great on Sunday I got a tan and my pasty friend from NH got a sunburn.

Departure today was a bit exciting we had to abort once as we just didn't get the speed we needed ( we think due to some bumps we took), and while we obviously made it out the second attempt those trees to give you something to think about. We hopped over to Sawyer to get fuel and fill up the 02 but they couldn't fill the O2 today due to the holiday. A2 handled the 12,000' runway well . We left SAW and climbed up to 17K and then requested FL210 to get over some Wx. We were following a front moving north east across Toronto and when we got to Toronto ran into a wall Temps were -18 C and we didn't want to go IMC with the temps. There looked like there were gaps with clear on the other side but as we got closer it was just too hard to tell so we requested lower and circled down through a hole and BAM there was Toronto. We got vectored a bit due to and Airshow and got a bit of actual at 12K over lake Erie but we shot across the lake quickly and over flew Buffalo saw the falls and headed D-> Wings. All in all an awesome weekend.

Again KUDOS to the Fredericks! They showed us a great time. As always large crowd or small 6Y9 is more fun than one should be allowed to have. Despite the Wx the BBQ was well attended by pilots, locals and folks who were just on vacation and heard about it and drove in. If you haven't been there you need to get there.

Flying with AdamB was fantastic. He really knows his plane well and is a super pilot. He is a great person to analyze options with. Photos are below.

Photos

Attachments

• 101_0336.JPG
    101_0336.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 47
  • 101_0335.JPG
    101_0335.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • 101_0338.JPG
    101_0338.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • 101_0337.JPG
    101_0337.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
  • 101_0340.JPG
    101_0340.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 35
  • 101_0342.JPG
    101_0342.JPG
    384.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 101_0344.JPG
    101_0344.JPG
    1,011 KB · Views: 36
  • 101_0348.JPG
    101_0348.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • 101_0350.JPG
    101_0350.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 101_0351.JPG
    101_0351.JPG
    993.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 101_0353.JPG
    101_0353.JPG
    770.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 101_0356.JPG
    101_0356.JPG
    876.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 101_0358.JPG
    101_0358.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • 101_0359.JPG
    101_0359.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
  • 101_0360.JPG
    101_0360.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 101_0361.JPG
    101_0361.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • 101_0369.JPG
    101_0369.JPG
    558.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 101_0367.JPG
    101_0367.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 36
  • 101_0365.JPG
    101_0365.JPG
    896.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 101_0366.JPG
    101_0366.JPG
    835.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 101_0370.JPG
    101_0370.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • 101_0372.JPG
    101_0372.JPG
    1,001.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 101_0374.JPG
    101_0374.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 101_0376.JPG
    101_0376.JPG
    1,006.8 KB · Views: 35
Sounds like y'all had a great trip! Glad everyone had fun. Laurie and I got sunburnt in Florida.

I was in Florida too, visiting 103 year old granny. Wish I'd-a been in the UP.

I will make it to the UP eventually. :cheerswine: I spent my weekend camping with my extended family near Tan Tar A resort (site of the annual Cherokee Fly In) at Osage Beach, MO (K15). I had THIS weather all weekend:

100_2906.jpg

Sunny skies, breezy, and warm! :) We shopped at the outlet mall, the kids went to a go-kart track and a haunted house, we had a campfire every night, I ate way too many s'mores, and didn't stress about the weather in any way! The rest of my non-pilot family had a three hour drive back to St. Louis with their RVs at the end of our weekend. But, I was parked and chocked in my hangar in Illinois in just over and hour and a half. Sometimes, it's GREAT to be able to fly! :D

100_2913.jpg

Last edited:
To all who were at 6y9 this weekend!

attachment.php

I really wanted to get up there Friday but the WX gods would not allow it. On Saturday I had a double birthday party in Bloomington, IN to attend.

Attachments

• funny-pictures-cat-in-fruit-hat-is-serious.jpg
    funny-pictures-cat-in-fruit-hat-is-serious.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
As always, it looks like a great weekend for the few that were able to make it. Really bummed that we couldn't make it.

On a positive note for the weekend, Rachel figured out that she can handle turbulence when she does a combination of Claritin and Dramamine. When we departed Iowa yesterday, winds were roughly 180@20G35 with temps around 83*F, and it didn't smooth out until up around 9500'. After wrestling the plane to the ground when we stopped for fuel, she said "I just remember thinking 'Its really bumpy, but I don't feel anything.'" So now we know... ;)

Sad we couldn't make it up last weekend, but we're going to try to make it to Mackinac Island next weekend. Staying at the Lakeview.

Great write up A1.
Not sure I could say it much better, so I won't.

Thanks for coming along, it's always so much easier with another pilot on board
to help split up the workload. It was great to fly with you (finally)! :)

I had an awesome time this weekend, thanks so much to Brad, Diz, and Ed for putting it all together. This was my first time to 6Y9, and I'll be back.

I'll post some pics later.

Here are some of the pics I took, mostly from the air enroute...

One is of A1 getting the pat down by the TSA in KFKL prior to boarding. :D

Attachments

• IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0679.jpg
    IMG_0679.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0677.jpg
    IMG_0677.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0692.jpg
    IMG_0692.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0703.jpg
    IMG_0703.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0664.jpg
    IMG_0664.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0672.jpg
    IMG_0672.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 23
Nice avatar. ;)

Oh come on, the last picture on the second line is really begging for a story.

Thanks for the photos. The field looks smooth. I hope the ride up there was not too bumpy.
:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Back