2009 6Y9 Attendee List

So, who is going to help paint faces on Saturday? It doesn't take much artistic talent to please kids!

OK - so I know about the "cash only" situation (thank you Jesse).

Another newbie question:
What about shower facilities - available?

What about shower facilities - available?

Guy in the #24 hat will probably let you borrow one of his beer cans...

Last year, there was a shower. Not a 5 star hotel shower, but it was clean and served to get me clean. :)

Guy in the #24 hat will probably let you borrow one of his beer cans...

Last year, there was a shower. Not a 5 star hotel shower, but it was clean and served to get me clean. :)

Oh, no... Mr. 24... Can't wait to see this character. B)

Basic running water will work. Don't want to be banished for stink after my morning run. Thanks!

Basic running water will work. Don't want to be banished for stink after my morning run. Thanks!

When you're hot, sweaty, and dirty, it'll feel like a 5-star shower. :)

There is a shower, with hot water available at the school.

And, I am sure that whoever rented the cabin would let you use the one in there.

There is a shower, with hot water available at the school.

And, I am sure that whoever rented the cabin would let you use the one in there.

That could be awkward... Do we know who this "whoever" is? :eek:

Thanks for the scoop. I'm sure it will all work out just fine. :yes:

It looks like my Friday meeting got pushed to next week. I'm thinkin' I'll depart FTG early tomorrow and hope to arrive 6y9 about 5ish (if I can find the place - big water is north right? :D Hey, I'm used to mountain navigation: mountains are west.).

Other news is it looks like I've got a pax from Minneapolis to Manhattan, KS on Tuesday through Veterans Airlift. Won't know for sure until tomorrow but I expect I'll be camping a couple or three nights before repositioning for the Airlift flight.

its not hard to find 6Y9. once you get to within 30 miles it's the only hole in the trees

It looks like my Friday meeting got pushed to next week. I'm thinkin' I'll depart FTG early tomorrow and hope to arrive 6y9 about 5ish (if I can find the place - big water is north right? :D Hey, I'm used to mountain navigation: mountains are west.).

Other news is it looks like I've got a pax from Minneapolis to Manhattan, KS on Tuesday through Veterans Airlift. Won't know for sure until tomorrow but I expect I'll be camping a couple or three nights before repositioning for the Airlift flight.

Stay above 5,000ft and it's easy to see. It's the only town on M-28 that has a railroad track intersection.

Yeah, last year when Jamie and I were flying in we were cruising along at 4500. I knew we found it when I saw the hole in the trees. I said "That must be it." "How do you know?" "Well, the GPS says we're pretty much there, and that's the only not trees I can see anywhere around us." :)

its not hard to find 6Y9. once you get to within 30 miles it's the only hole in the trees

Great!.....now what are these "trees" you're typing about?:D

Another guy is telling me to stay above 5,000 ft. Great, that's easy. Heck I land at 5,500 ft. And water is only in taps 'round here. If we leave it outside it just goes away. I'm beginning to get the idea that 6y9 is in a slightly different world.

Hey ya,ll, when ya see the Dakota go past, send someone to catch me, willya? If you folks don't I'm sure the CF-18's will! Nevermind, I have great faith in Bendix/King.

Yeah, last year when Jamie and I were flying in we were cruising along at 4500. I knew we found it when I saw the hole in the trees. I said "That must be it." "How do you know?" "Well, the GPS says we're pretty much there, and that's the only not trees I can see anywhere around us." :)

IIRC, the GPS shows the field 1-2 miles north of where it actually is.

Great!.....now what are these "trees" you're typing about?:D

Another guy is telling me to stay above 5,000 ft. Great, that's easy. Heck I land at 5,500 ft. And water is only in taps 'round here. If we leave it outside it just goes away. I'm beginning to get the idea that 6y9 is in a slightly different world.

Hey ya,ll, when ya see the Dakota go past, send someone to catch me, willya? If you folks don't I'm sure the CF-18's will! Nevermind, I have great faith in Bendix/King.
It'll be good to meet you!

You might want to take a gander at http://www.sidnaw.org/6y9/index.htm to get an idea of what it looks like around there!

IIRC, the GPS shows the field 1-2 miles north of where it actually is.

It depends on the GPS. The one I had was pretty spot on, as I recall. My understanding is that the databases changed the coordinates at some point, so if yours is out of date it depends on just how out of date it is.

If nothing else, it becomes very obvious when you fly over the large hunk of grass that has a bunch of airplanes parked on the side of it. :)

It depends on the GPS. The one I had was pretty spot on, as I recall. My understanding is that the databases changed the coordinates at some point, so if yours is out of date it depends on just how out of date it is.

If nothing else, it becomes very obvious when you fly over the large hunk of grass that has a bunch of airplanes parked on the side of it. :)

True. The last time I had a GPS equipped plane up there was in 2007, so they could have updated the coordinates since then.

This is what landing at 6Y9 looks like (this was not a very good landing on my part)

My 430 with the July updates still has it in the wrong spot. It gets you close enough, but if you zoom in, it's definitely not where it is supposed to be.

The reason I say stay above 5,000 (3600AGL) is because if you are down low, you ain't gonna see the strip till you are on top of it. Just pick up the main highway from the west, and follow it in. Becomes pretty apparrent.

Roger, Tripacer 38D Cleared to Climb to pattern altitude :D

Unless something changes I plan on flying in early Saturday and leaving late in the day. So what do I need to bring? I know the standard chairs, light coat, bug spray but do I need to bring drinks and food?

Unless something changes I plan on flying in early Saturday and leaving late in the day. So what do I need to bring? I know the standard chairs, light coat, bug spray but do I need to bring drinks and food?

Just bring some cash for food. Burgers, dogs, bunch of other stuff on the menu as well.

This is what landing at 6Y9 looks like (this was not a very good landing on my part)

That's what it USED to look like. 600 extra feet on that approach end now. All that dirt you see before touchdown is grass.

That's what it USED to look like. 600 extra feet on that approach end now. All that dirt you see before touchdown is grass.
Amazing that you were even able to land that without the 'oil access door air brake' being activated. You might need some brush up on your technique from the master in ABQ!! ;)

Amazing that you were even able to land that without the 'oil access door air brake' being activated. You might need some brush up on your technique from the master in ABQ!! ;)

That wasn't me.

What will the Sunday plans be?

I will be up Saturday afternoon and am planning on spending the night.

BTW is there any chance that instead of me hauling the tent for one night that I can camp out in the pilot lounge/FBO on the couch or is that already taken?

Ed/El Con I am pretty sure you guys did not see this question from me. At least if you did I missed the answer.

Ed/El Con I am pretty sure you guys did not see this question from me. At least if you did I missed the answer.

AFAIK no one is claming the futon. But might want to clear it with Diz. Kent also said he was looking to keep warm....

:D

It turns out that my Sat night shift is covered now as well! So we'll be there tomorrow early afternoon and will be staying until Sunday early afternoon.

It turns out that my Sat night shift is covered now as well! So we'll be there tomorrow early afternoon and will be staying until Sunday early afternoon.

Woooohoooo Tighten up yer panty hose she's comming in:cornut:

Y'all have fun now, I'll miss you.

Turns out that Atlanta is the same distance as 6Y9 from Williamsport, just about 90 degrees off on heading. :)

Well, Leslie has finished making cookies (since Tony won't be able to bring his), and I picked up another large bottle of Crown. (We seemed to do a number on the one I brought to Gastons!:cornut:).

I think we're set to go, except I cannot find a charger for our air compressor for the air mattress. If the battery dies, we'll need to borrow someone's or use the foot pump.

Well, Leslie has finished making cookies (since Tony won't be able to bring his), and I picked up another large bottle of Crown. (We seemed to do a number on the one I brought to Gastons!:cornut:).
Excellent. As you know, I don't drink, so that doesn't make any difference to me.

-Felix

Back