2009 6Y9 Attendee List

No, I follow the power line in. It is straighter, there are a couple of squiggles in the road coming from the east!

Your method still involves climbing to pattern altitude, though. ;)

Missa and I plan to bring the Freebird on Saturday, late morning/early afternoon-ish. We plan on bringing a surprise third guest.

This trip has more lives than Brett Favre has retirements.

Leslie and I will probably be launching around 11:30 (1630Z) and will stop for lunch en route.

Missa and I plan to bring the Freebird on Saturday, late morning/early afternoon-ish. We plan on bringing a surprise third guest.

This trip has more lives than Brett Favre has retirements.

And I thought it was going to be a sneaky suprise when we just showed up on Saturday! Well, I'm already part way there as I am in Ohio.

And I thought it was going to be a sneaky suprise when we just showed up on Saturday! Well, I'm already part way there as I am in Ohio.

Sorry to blow the surprise, but I thought our hosts would like to know who's coming. Just trying to be polite.

As I was flying past Green Bay this afternoon I heard ATC talking to a flight of two Cessnas headed north. The callsign was "..11W". Was this by chance, someone headed to 6y9?

Multiply posted: Ed told me he had more than 2000 feet available on the runway. But Airnav and FSS both still say 2000. Anyone know? I have two up in the bird this time.....

Multiply posted: Ed told me he had more than 2000 feet available on the runway. But Airnav and FSS both still say 2000. Anyone know? I have two up in the bird this time.....
He is at 2600 now.

2600' with 400' displaced at each end because of the roads at either end. The state inspection guys were there yesterday, so it's officially 2600' now. On the west end, ALL the trees are gone, and the runway lines up with the paved road, so there are no obstacles for departure on 28 for another 500' from the end of the runway. I'll do up another sketch.

We made it back home around 7:30. Great flight after a stop at LNL for fuel. Climbed up to 8500' and it was smooth as silk - even had to put the heat on 1-2 clicks. The 3kt headwind switched to a 3kt tailwind about halfway.

Yet another AMAZING fly-in event hosted by the Frederick's. We can't WAIT until next year!! Videos and photos are coming soon.

We made it back home around 7:30. Great flight after a stop at LNL for fuel. Climbed up to 8500' and it was smooth as silk - even had to put the heat on 1-2 clicks. The 3kt headwind switched to a 3kt tailwind about halfway.

Yet another AMAZING fly-in event hosted by the Frederick's. We can't WAIT until next year!! Videos and photos are coming soon.
What I want to know is how Brad and Diz manage to arrange the WX? It is always perfect!

BTW after my departure I was just south of perch lake when I saw a big bird at my altitude, close by at my 11 o'clock. I thought it was a vulture at first but it had a white tail. As I passed by it had a white head and a big yellow beak. I was not fast enough with the camera but it was a bald eagle!! Funny that Barb, Missa, Liz, Pete and I were talking about them in the am and here one was.

BTW after my departure I was just south of perch lake when I saw a big bird at my altitude, close by at my 11 o'clock. I thought it was a vulture at first but it had a white tail. As I passed by it had a white head and a big yellow beak. I was not fast enough with the camera but it was a bald eagle!! Funny that Barb, Missa, Liz, Pete and I were talking about them in the am and here one was.

I saw one soaring down beneath me while I was giving someone a ride on Saturday. I tried to circle down and find it again but couldn't. Still neat, even though it was a little far away! :yes:

On the way in, once we were flying over the UP, one of the controllers on FF queried me if she could ask a question. I nervously responded in the affirmative, thinking I had broken some obscure FAR, when she asked me what was up with 6Y9. She said that normally very few people use the strip, and she had never seen so many aircraft headed into it. I of course informed her of the fly-in.

On the way in, once we were flying over the UP, one of the controllers on FF queried me if she could ask a question. I nervously responded in the affirmative, thinking I had broken some obscure FAR, when she asked me what was up with 6Y9. She said that normally very few people use the strip, and she had never seen so many aircraft headed into it. I of course informed her of the fly-in.
That happens every year!! I guess that means we should be flying in more often. I keep wanting to do a run up north and visit for the day but real life always seems to get in the way.

It is such a fun little community. As you saw people are real friendly. Just look at what happened with the whole hay trailer incident and how we were rescued as a great example of that.

This year was probably the least I interacted with people. With me getting up there later on Saturday and just not feeling anywhere close to 100% is getting me down. As soon as I can find a doc that can do a spine transplant I am getting one!!

That happens every year!! I guess that means we should be flying in more often. I keep wanting to do a run up north and visit for the day but real life always seems to get in the way.

It is such a fun little community. As you saw people are real friendly. Just look at what happened with the whole hay trailer incident and how we were rescued as a great example of that.

This year was probably the least I interacted with people. With me getting up there later on Saturday and just not feeling anywhere close to 100% is getting me down. As soon as I can find a doc that can do a spine transplant I am getting one!!

I was far less than my ebullient self. It was truly a long flight, among the longest I have done in the Free Bird. We had originally planned to stay until Monday morning, but I thankfully decided to depart Sunday afternoon. Had I not we would still be there. However, I was even less ebullient yesterday, and had little energy to do much of anything. But I am really glad I went, it was great meeting everyone.

I must have been lucky. I didn't catch any ebola while I was there.

Back